Why are jigs so expensive - ideas on saving money?

Here’s a little tip that we used to do to our jigs years ago when we fished commercially. Remove the ring/swivel/split ring or whatever that attaches treble hook to jig and replace it with a brass split ring. Most of the time you’ll get your lure back if you haven’t gone too terribly big on the brass split ring. Much cheaper to just throw on another treble and split ring.

Here’s a little tip that we used to do to our jigs years ago when we fished commercially. Remove the ring/swivel/split ring or whatever that attaches treble hook to jig and replace it with a brass split ring. Most of the time you’ll get your lure back if you haven’t gone too terribly big on the brass split ring. Much cheaper to just throw on another treble and split ring.
Similar to your method we swapped out the stiff hooks on p-line lazer minnows for softer hooks from buzz-bombs. I was almost always able to bend the hook and get the jig back. Wouldn't do that if we were after larger fish that could possibly bend the hooks, but for what we were catching it worked well.

We did this with the old standard cod jigs by using soft hooks. 80-100 lb test line, when on a snag wrap it around a cleat and nudge the boat in gear to straighten out the hook and get your jig back.

A few quick snaps with the rod tip with slack line before everything digs in often frees a lure. Once everything is dug in you have to try to motor up steam and hope it comes free.

Katherine from CC owns Tomic plugs and they are having a hell of a time finding plug painters. There’s gonna be a shortage soon me thinks. good thing i have at least 100 plugs
You ONLY have 100 plugs ?? Better get Sammy to get you more !!!

Greg

Notwithstanding market dynamics and retail theory, has anyone ever wondered how and why larger jigs and lures are so expensive? I appreciate a market charges what it can, but I’m surprised a manufacturer has yet to exploit the vastly inflated and artificially high price of small chunks of extremely easy to manufacture metal we buy. A large lure can cost well over $30 these days and the cheapest 10+ oz ones I can fins tend to start at $20, which is silly when you consider what goes into making them. I even saw a trendy-looking Norwegian cod jig in a local store recently that was $50. Expensive loss when bumping rocky ground…!

So does anyone know of a manufacturer that’s said ‘these cost a dollar to manufacture so I’ll sell them for ten and make a killing’? I know it’s not that simple but if I owned some fairly simple tools dedicated to the job I could probably bang a hundred out a week and sell them at that margin to make some decent pocket/gas money (no, I’m way too busy to fit that into my life).

Thoughts? Ideas? They obviously don’t need to be hand-painted and carefully crafted like maybe spoons (and even that’s pros manufacturer myth). Big lingcod and rockfish will tend to go for anything annoying and shiny…

Thanks. Anyone working for Gibbs here ?
Just to throw some costs out there the average mold runs me $250 for a 10oz jig, and next year I am expecting that to go up to $300 with inflation, rising commodity costs, and the cost to get them shipped to the Island. I don't waste my time with Do It molds as the wires are so thin, and with Do It being so back ordered / behind my supplier has been getting trouble getting items out of Do It.

Thanks for the this info I think! Just put an order in they have some really cooling looking gear.
Product review. LOL.
I fished the 240g slowman jig pretty hard at WH it out produced the paddle tail on the other rod. Also the quality of the paint is very good the paint held up against the rocky bottom.

Notwithstanding market dynamics and retail theory, has anyone ever wondered how and why larger jigs and lures are so expensive? I appreciate a market charges what it can, but I’m surprised a manufacturer has yet to exploit the vastly inflated and artificially high price of small chunks of extremely easy to manufacture metal we buy. A large lure can cost well over $30 these days and the cheapest 10+ oz ones I can fins tend to start at $20, which is silly when you consider what goes into making them. I even saw a trendy-looking Norwegian cod jig in a local store recently that was $50. Expensive loss when bumping rocky ground…!

So does anyone know of a manufacturer that’s said ‘these cost a dollar to manufacture so I’ll sell them for ten and make a killing’? I know it’s not that simple but if I owned some fairly simple tools dedicated to the job I could probably bang a hundred out a week and sell them at that margin to make some decent pocket/gas money (no, I’m way too busy to fit that into my life).

Thoughts? Ideas? They obviously don’t need to be hand-painted and carefully crafted like maybe spoons (and even that’s pros manufacturer myth). Big lingcod and rockfish will tend to go for anything annoying and shiny…

Thanks. Anyone working for Gibbs here ?
Put a hook on a crescent weight. Paint it if you want it pretty. Cod don't care about that.

Back