Who makes the best fishing gaff ?????

Slickwater

Who makes the best gaff for tuna fishing ??? What length would be recomened.Will be after a long one as well as a short one. There are so many diffrent ones. I like the 24" one at W.S sports but seemed a little high on the price at $33 for a stick & hook.
H.C has some other member told me. Just half to get to Island first. They all seem to be angled more or less depending on brand. I would think the wider angle would be best ?
Any names or pictures of the best stuff would be great. Then I can look them up local maybe.
Thx Slick

Super easy to make. Local hardware store has everything you need to make one exactly the one you want.

I do just made 3 in fact.

You can make one just as good all you need is a 3" hook available @ most tackle stores and a handle either wood or PVC pipe depending-length 4'-6'.

IMGP3422_zps9086a808.jpg

IMGP3423_zps6416c2c0.jpg

IMGP3425_zps8936795f.jpg

Butt Caps are important-and cheap
IMGP3424_zps2a16f39b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is just dowelling with 5/16 SS bent to my desired angle. Some screws and heat shrink.
image.jpg

Dogbreath They look pretty heavy duty which is what I like being a bull in the china shop that I am. I have some meat hook's I bought a Princees Auto that might work great if I trim the one end.
Now I have a project to do. Thx for pictures.
Slick

Here is harper44's gaff that he was talking about. To me these ones are ideal for when the fish is doing spirals which happens when you are not moving. So fishing bait stops etc these are ideal.

We just use your typical salmon gaff as when your trolling 7 knots the best way is to surf them near the boat. Grab the leader, get their head above the surface, surf and whack em overhand.

Heres a clip, not sure if it will work or not.

http://instagram.com/p/jKY5SrzQML/

G&B I like the bend on your hook . Do fish ever get off the gaff with that much angle.
Thx Slick

When fishing solo the gaff is all I use. I have never lost a fish off mine, however I'm not a tuna guy (hoping to remedy that this year fishtofino!) so the tuna dudes on here will have to recommend the best bend. Personally I prefer my bend for salmon over the commercially available U types.

Hey dogbreath, do you just use sched 40? Do you find it flexes too much. I really like the idea of using PVC, super durable.

Hey dogbreath, do you just use sched 40? Do you find it flexes too much. I really like the idea of using PVC, super durable.
I think it's sched 40 just the regular stuff off the shelf Yes it's light duty but the cord wrap stiffens it up just right I did epoxy in a 6" piece of dowel in the end to help secure the hook.

Kelly . The clip worked. Boy he is quite the gaffer . Hope I can get that good. I think im going to start gaffing salmon for some practice.
If there keepers of course.
Thx Slick

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked it out. Mean looking gaff !!!

If you've ever experienced stepping on a conventional gaff that was lying on the deck for some reason, you'll appreciate the Black Tip. Its a semi-flat handle so it won't roll should it find it's way to the deck and you step on it. I would guess the handle is about 1/2 inch thick and if I recall correctly, the handle is aluminum coated heavily with plastic, making it practically indestructible.

I'll go to WM and check it over again to verify the details

No . LoL . Was paint from wife's arts & krafts on peice of wood I found in shop . Wife said it's sharp though. Tried to give her a gaff ! LoL

Another option if you want, these are the mudhole kits that are normally around $60 but if IIRC were on for $40 for their black fri sale.
I got the 6'ers and cut them down to 5' and they seem perfect length.
Wickedly sharp SS hook and I doubt you could break the shaft, these things are designed for boating blue water fish so I am sure they will hold up to anything I can put them thru.
I got to practice some crosswraps (enough to know I dont enjoy them LOL) and put my own personal touch on them.

SD
Those WM gaffs look like a knock off of the reaction strike gaff, I think they were designed to bottom hook (slide fish in over the gaff and pull gaff up) fish instead of the conventional hook from top hook.
The WM ones are quite a bit cheaper, post up your review if you get one.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 206
Back