Fishing Excursion for Honeymoon?

ManitobaWalleye

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I are from Manitoba and are planning on touring the west coast at the end of September after our wedding. We are fairly avid fishers and are looking to set aside at least one day for a fishing excursion. We will be in Vancouver, Seattle and all over the island but are more than open to changing our plans if there's something that interests us. We will be renting a car for the week we are on the island and are willing to make anywhere on the island a destination but that being said we are pretty flexible where we can go on the mainland as well.

Bucket list items of ours are salmon (I think it's a good time of year for coho or chinook from what I've researched?) or fraser river sturgeon. That being said I think the environment is important as well, as some of the scenic pictures we've seen of your province are absolutely stunning, something my soon to be wife would really appreciate.

I'd love to hear all of your opinions on what you think would be the best value in terms of fishing & environmental experience based on the time of year and what regulations allow. We are open to basically any idea's at this point: guided fishing in the rivers such as the campbell, chartered ocean fishing etc. I think right now we are leaning toward single day trips but we are able to change our plans depending on what opportunities are available. We are trying to keep costs reasonable (we just don't have the means to do some of these $6,000+ charters we see advertised online) but that being said we have set aside some of our vacation funds specifically for fishing so please we would really appreciate to hear any/all of your ideas.

Thank you very much in advance!

A day charter on the island would be around $1000.
End of September, coho should be abundant but Chinook just about finished.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on charters or general areas to look at? Anywhere to stay away from? If you don't want to write it on the forum and would like to direct message me instead that would also be greatly appreciated

Sturgeon is good that time of year on the Fraser and you should also be able to fish for salmon. River trips are more reasonably priced than ocean trips. I would try Cascade fishing adventures. Great folks and catch lots of fish

Sturgeon is good that time of year on the Fraser and you should also be able to fish for salmon. River trips are more reasonably priced than ocean trips. I would try Cascade fishing adventures. Great folks and catch lots of fish
Much appreciated! I just looked up their website, I really like that they offer sturgeon/salmon combos on the same day

A day charter right out of Vancouver for salmon fishing off the mouth of the Fraser river. Pacific Angler and Bon Chovy would be on the fish
Bent Rods for Sturgeon and river chinook & coho, in the Fraser Valley.
Rod is a great guy. He even owns his own tackle company
I just spoke to a different charter and they mentioned that salmon is not open on the Fraser right now and they don't expect it to open up at all this year.... can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for mentioning the tackle company! Some of those jigs look like they would be unreal for lake trout here I think I'll have to order a few

a couple years ago i took my wife to sooke on the island around sept 26. got an air bnb right on the water and went on a half day charter with blue wolf charters for coho. ended up with 7 to take home
That seems wild - Is that an above average day for number of coho's in a half day? Sounds like a dream! Really like the air b&b idea somewhere near the charter

If it was me I'd be coming to the Island. Fish Sooke, Port Renfrew, Banfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Tofino take your pick. Lots of great Guides on the forum here, again pick your spot and pick your guide for that area. Some of the best scenery you will ever see. Plus you are away from the big city. Lots of very nice Airbnb's in all those areas.
Maybe come to Victoria and check out the sights(Butcharts, Inner Harbour) and then a Airbnb in Sooke and a 1/2-full day charter. Then the Pacific Marine Circle Route to Port Renfrew and check out( Check out things to do in port Renfrew). Drive from there up to Parksville and over to Port Alberni and back out to the West Coast to Ucluelet and Tofino. Lots of Beautiful areas to check out on the way and all great spots for fishing. Congrats on the marriage and sounds like a great partner especially if she like fishing.

Former Toban myself.....relocated out here in 1995. You will really enjoy an excursion on the ocean no matter where you go but I am partial to the West Coast of Vancouver Island; so much so I have told my wife that is where I want my ashes. ;) Only thing about Tofino as an example as there will be coho around but the spring/chinook fishing will be pretty slow by then. In saying that.....who knows what the fish will do. ;) I would certainly recommend Tofino....all of the MB family that have come out have fallen in love with the place.

Knowing you are gearing up for this trip and it's going to be pretty special time if I could make one recommendation for you. Even if you say you don't get sea sick.....the ocean is much different than the lakes in MB; before you come out go to a compounding pharmacy and ask them if they can make you up some Meclizine. Take a pill at night before bed on the eve of your charter and one in the morning. Nothing would ruin a much anticipated special trip to find yourselves seasick.

If it was me I'd be coming to the Island. Fish Sooke, Port Renfrew, Banfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet, Tofino take your pick. Lots of great Guides on the forum here, again pick your spot and pick your guide for that area. Some of the best scenery you will ever see. Plus you are away from the big city. Lots of very nice Airbnb's in all those areas.
Maybe come to Victoria and check out the sights(Butcharts, Inner Harbour) and then a Airbnb in Sooke and a 1/2-full day charter. Then the Pacific Marine Circle Route to Port Renfrew and check out( Check out things to do in port Renfrew). Drive from there up to Parksville and over to Port Alberni and back out to the West Coast to Ucluelet and Tofino. Lots of Beautiful areas to check out on the way and all great spots for fishing. Congrats on the marriage and sounds like a great partner especially if she like fishing.
Awesome thanks so much for all the detail! I think you've changed our plans for the better - we'll look into that route and maybe do 2 half day charters instead of a full day to check out different areas

And yep the fact she puts up with me makes her great, her loving fishing is just a huge bonus!

Former Toban myself.....relocated out here in 1995. You will really enjoy an excursion on the ocean no matter where you go but I am partial to the West Coast of Vancouver Island; so much so I have told my wife that is where I want my ashes. ;)

Knowing you are gearing up for this trip and it's going to be pretty special time if I could make one recommendation for you. Even if you say you don't get sea sick.....the ocean is much different than the lakes in MB; before you come out go to a compounding pharmacy and ask them if they can make you up some Meclizine. Take a pill at night before bed on the eve of your charter and one in the morning. Nothing would ruin a much anticipated special trip to find yourselves seasick.
Wow we didn't even think of that, we think 3 foot 'rollers' are big waves in our little 16ft outboard haha... This might be the best precautionary trip saving advice I've heard thank you!

Wow we didn't even think of that, we think 3 foot 'rollers' are big waves in our little 16ft outboard haha... This might be the best precautionary trip saving advice I've heard thank you!

Have dealt with pukers numerous times especially out of Tofino and Kyuquot (the swell is different out there compared to the inside waters)....once you are sick you're not going to come out of it until you have some time on solid ground. If someone is puking that boat gets VERY small. ;)

I did edit my post but you replied before I could finish. Note my mention about the Toban's LOVING Tofino. You could do a morning charter and take a surf lesson in the afternoon. Some good restaurants and it's a great little town to explore.

Have dealt with pukers numerous times especially out of Tofino and Kyuquot (the swell is different out there compared to the inside waters)....once you are sick you're not going to come out of it until you have some time on solid ground. If someone is puking that boat gets VERY small. ;)

I did edit my post but you replied before I could finish. Note my mention about the Toban's LOVING Tofino. You could do a morning charter and take a surf lesson in the afternoon. Some good restaurants and it's a great little town to explore.
I think the splitting up the fishing into two half days is what we're going to do simply to give ourselves a better chance at catching and seeing different areas.... and to limit the seas sickness if it happens! I think seeing Tofino is a must from what you/others have said I appreciate the advice

Back