Which bottom paint to use?

black dog

I have an 18’ 1981 K&C which has had a bottom coat on it before I owned it. The old bottom coat has been removed leaving behind a gel coat finish which has been scuffed beyond repair. I would like to bottom paint with a black colour paint that is non-ablative and non-antifouling that can withstand repeated loading (and maybe the odd beaching). I am really looking for some type of coating that I will not have to maintain. Now my head is spinning because of all the information on the net regarding bottom coats, but I have not found anything that fills my specific needs. I did a search of the past threads here because I recall reading a similar request from another member but can’t seem to find it. The hull is ivory colour and the top sides are blue, I would really like to have a black bottom coat. Please let me know what product you used if your needs were the same as mine.

I started a thread on removing bottom paint some where on here. But from the few people that I talked to said, to use interlux performance epoxy. This is the way that I'm going to do mine this fall.

I just finished striping and painting my 16ft. DE. I tried a different striper this time called Aqua Strip. The product itself
is all natural and has a low ouder.It worked like a hot dam! 4hrs after applied the paint was literally falling off the boat.
Saved me hours of sanding and was only $75.00 a gallon. Then 2 coats of Interlux 2 part epoxy primer,followed by 2
coats of interlux Micron CSC. A good friend of mine has worked in shipyards all his life and swears by this stuff. It's the
same thing they put on all the B.C. ferries. Not cheap though at $80.00 a quart.

Fshnfnatic pm sent

I tried a different striper this time called Aqua Strip. The product itself
is all natural and has a low ouder.It worked like a hot dam! 4hrs after applied the paint was literally falling off the boat.
Saved me hours of sanding and was only $75.00 a gallon.

I was wondering about Aqua Strip..saw it in IPP in Nanaimo the other day. I'd love to strip the bottom of my Sundancer...the many many coats of anti-fouling paint on the hull looks like SH$% and must be terrible on the efficiency of the hull.
Good to hear it works as well as they claim.

Yeah,you bet DOF. Worth every cent. I just finished helping a buddy of mine strip his smaller 14ft. DE. He's a frugal
basterd,and I couldn't talk him into the Aqua Strip.There was only about 5 or 6 layers,and I spent 6hrs. yesterday and
3hrs. today with an orbital sander. Dirty job!!

Back