Where to now?

Cheers All,

RE: fish4all...the charter fleet rationalizes itself through market mechanisms: in prosperity there are more guides to handle the increased tourism and demand while, in economic uncertainty, the business is not there to support an individual. The smoke and mirrors you alude to with the 435 to 136 is based on a fatally flawed system that allows the commercial sector to lease 'stolen from the public' quota to other commercials which means that, while they are not on the water, they are - in fact - still fishing. The end result is no decrease whatsover in the fish caught under this fatally flawed and totally unacceptable system.

I have watched the election returns and will be keeping an eye on what the government does with this 'NEW' power. I am hoping that they have taken the interests of ALL Canadians to heart - including the vast number of sports fishermen and will now attempt to solve this problem with a workable solution that includes an increase TAC for the sports sector and a retirement of retired "non-active commercial fishermen' holding quota - not to mention the 'retirement' of the current Minister of Fisheries in favour of one that is truely competent. However...if there was any doubt that I am still against this halibut allocation/privitization (or the expansion into other areas) and will continue my quest to ensure the resources of Canada belong to ALL CANADIANS and not just a select few...read my lips..."I have only begun to fight!"

NOTE: I feel it is necessary to add the following: this is not a fight for resources because I am a guide for to believe such would be to miss the entire focus on my message. I fish for profit and for recreation. My income is derived from many sources - some from fishing but most from other outside businesses. I fish as I enjoy the activity as well as the variety of individuals I encounter: friends, guests, other fishermen, the environment and - YES - even commercial fishermen. However the idea of Common Property Resources being utilized in the fashion they are, with the threat of increasing this abuse to other resources, does not bode well with me at all and, as a CANADIAN with both a ownership stake as well as a concern for future generations and their ability to harvest what rightfully belongs to them, I will stand and defend this right - forever! The goal must be to ensure the highest end use of all our resources (and ANYONE who is being honest and has taken the time to read the government reports knows that sports guiding brings in vastly more investment into Canada than commercial enterprises and holds the key to funding DFO) while ensuring free and unfettered access to ALL Common Property Resources to all Canadians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishing Guide;

you do have some good points. The one big problem I have is that there appears to be a lack of certain species of fish around, especially on the southern part of the island. I would seriously question if the coast can handle the effort that is being put on the rockfish, lingcod and salmon species. The halibut are more migratory but we have seen where areas can be fished out with hali as well. Rockfish is the driving force behind almost all groundfish harvesting and I can see that in the very near future the recreational sector is going to have to address it or have it addressed for them.

Is there a problem with putting a guiding license in place?

X2 fishing guide..
Back to the... USE it or loose it for halibut quota.. Pretty basic I think.

Just like the oil industry..a lease on the land has an expiry date..if it is NOT USED before that date it REVERTS back to the CROWN.

Fishing Guide;

you do have some good points. The one big problem I have is that there appears to be a lack of certain species of fish around, especially on the southern part of the island. I would seriously question if the coast can handle the effort that is being put on the rockfish, lingcod and salmon species. The halibut are more migratory but we have seen where areas can be fished out with hali as well. Rockfish is the driving force behind almost all groundfish harvesting and I can see that in the very near future the recreational sector is going to have to address it or have it addressed for them.

Is there a problem with putting a guiding license in place?

Cheers fish4all,

I have no problem with putting a Guiding License in place and, in fact, hope that it will be the way of our (near) future. I believe in the idea of balance and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our environment can only stand so much abuse and pressure. To realistically expect Mother Nature to continue to correct our mistakes over generations is simply asking too much and that eventually (or sooner) we will suffer from our overuse of the natural resources. One way to provide a buffer is to place restrictions upon the number of guides who utilize the natural resources.

One only needs look north to Alaska or south to Washington State to see that guides are one way of ensuring that the pressures exerted by guided fishing are kept within some type of balance. By restricting the number of guides in an area one can provide another mechanism for supporting the natural resources.

I am (and have been for years) one of the loudest proponents for Licensed Fishing Guides in BC. Recently the Sports Fishing Institute began a CTAG program (Certified Tidal Angling Guide) which is a voluntary program aimed at the guiding industry in BC. While this program is in its infant stages of development I would hope that it eventually takes hold and the government then takes this to the next stage by dividing BC up into areas and requiring all guides to be licensed and to restrict the number of licenses in each area.

One would then find that each area would be allocated so many guides and no more than that would be allowed. Each area would also be allowed so many commercial lodges and no more than that would be allowed. This set number would be strictly enforced and penalties for breach would be signficant and immediate including fines, loss of vessels or facilities. Licenses would be made to the area and the only cost to acquire an initial license would be the cost of application as well as the License Fee (nominal amount per year +/- $250.00). The guides and lodges who fish this license would have first choice of re-issue each year but, should they cease operations, the license would revert back to the Crown to be re-posted to a pre-qualified guide/lodge with no financial remuneration to the lodge or guide. Also, should any be involved in any issues with regards to regulations or environmental abuse the licenses would revert back to the Crown to be re-posted. In essence each made their living off the natural resources and they would not be subject to a windfall when they retired or abused their license conditions.

I could go on at length but I believe you should already have a fair understanding as to whether or not I support a BC Sport Guided License for both guides and lodges. And, before the outcry begins, I focused here on the environmental reasons for my stance. However I have as many (or more) why this move to Guided Licenses would be good for the economy of BC/Canada, the guests of the Licensed Guides/Lodges and the Guides and Lodges themselves. It would truely be a win-win-win solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro;

I take my hat off to you with a logical posting like that. I hope that those that end up representing the recreational sector to find a solution share your views on this subject. Forrward thinking is what is needed to find a solution.

Cheers All,

"If you always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got!" To expect different is the definition of insanity.... To discover solutions one must needs explore all the options.... My focus is on the environment, the sustainability of our precious resources, and the fair distribution of that wealth for generations to come.

Pro;

I take my hat off to you with a logical posting like that. I hope that those that end up representing the recreational sector to find a solution share your views on this subject. Forrward thinking is what is needed to find a solution.

And those that are representing the recreational sector are thinking what in regards to this subject? Please enlighten us?

And those that are representing the recreational sector are thinking what in regards to this subject? Please enlighten us?

I h ave no idea what they are thinking it is just refeshing to see someone thinking outside the box.

hope that those that end up representing the recreational sector to find a solution share your views on this subject. Forrward thinking is what is needed to find a solution.

Just wondering what solution you would be talking about on what subject? I know the recreational sector has always been forward thinking in regards to any and all that requires a solution.

Read all 6 pages. Very interesting thread, and some damn fine recommendations being forwarded by quite a few! Excellent to see!

I have always had an issue with the APATHY amongst recreational anglers when it comes to damn near anything that effects our sport. Too many times in the past I have had to shake my head, and try to carry on without any visible support from our own. Many that I know are in that exact same boat. Thus it is entirely refreshing to see we CAN get over the apathy, we CAN make significant contributions, and that together, United, we CAN make a difference! While I am saddened over the fact it took the issue of halibut allocation to drive us to do so, I am entirely pleased that we are becoming a United Front!

KUDOS to all who have offered up their very reasonable suggestions on this thread!

Also for the record, I tend to think along the same lines as our Fishing Guide Buddy does when it comes to Licensing. It is coming, and that is long overdue IMHO.

We have a very large task in front of us at this juncture. A LOT of ground must be covered if we are to emerge from this quagmire we are currently trapped in. I believe strongly that the Use It Or Lose It policy must be applied to quota, not just halibut, but every other species under that form of control.

There MUST be a working fisherman presence when we get rolling with this one. They are taking as serious a screwing over by the absentee owners as we are, and in many cases, even more so. They are not our enemy, they are in fact our Allies, and we must welcome them to the table exactly as such.

Anything I can do to help further our cause I am more than willing to take on. Kinda tough for me to stay in the loop just now, even though DFO has once again laid a royal screwing on Area G, we are still getting a little time on the water. So I am only about infrequently for a spell. I will howver do what I can when I am onshore...

Keep the thoughts rolling here Folks! You are coming up with some damn fine stuff!

Cheers,
Nog

Back