Where should I fish for a week ?

Travo

Going fishing for a week on Wednesday , had plans made for prince rupert fished there last year for a week on our own boat had a blast ... Talked to a few guys up there and they told me the fishing is just starting to pick up I know commercial opens in a few days .. It's a 20 hour drive for me from kelowna and half the guys who we're coming with me bailed out so 20hours for alright fishing just doesn't seem right . I just bought 4 prawn traps and few new crab pots and I'd love to soak the buggers as we'll ... Just considering maybe a trip somewhere else in BC , does anyone have any suggestions .. Somewhere where we can get into some fish .. Any suggestions ..

Go to Rupert and head out and fish Dundas..... Should be great chinook fishing right now and the prawning and halibut fishing is stellar in them waters.

Go to Rupert and head out and fish Dundas..... Should be great chinook fishing right now and the prawning and halibut fishing is stellar in them waters.

Dundas it is , you've twisted my arm ... Going to bring my bar fishing set up as well do some plunking.

wish I was up there right now. busy working on my boat though. this is prime time for those waters... a week ago would have been perfect but haven't kept up with the fishing reports there for this year.... dundas is a good bet. work channel might be good just along the outside to the entrance as well... take a trip out to zayas island if you have a chance....

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there on the 18th to the 21st and the fishing was ok. Not many big ones but on the last day (21st) seemed to be hot for some especially on the slack tide, tides were big so that didn't help. Heard the fishing was getting hot so should be a good trip. Have fun and keep us posted as there isn't much talk of Rupert on the forum.

I hope so , I still to need to figure out the learning curve , learned how to use bait last year , have a **** load of hootchies spoons flashers etc ... Just need to find the fish , I'll prob follow the guide boats in the morning ... I usually would hire a guide for a day or two but 2 guys bailed out on trip so me and one buddy are splitting cost now diesel,boat gas, hotels , refreshments:cool: , etc ... And I did call a few guides and all of them were booked for the week we are going . Besides that I have a friend of a friend who runs a charter up there he is going to come out on the weekend and show us how to bottom fish which is going to be fun .. Are the springs deeper or closer to shore in the kelp beds what I am reading a lot ... Def going to be a learning curve but I learn quick.

Hi Look at all the info. on Nootka/Esperanza inlet on the forum. There are lots of fish to be caught here. the large returns of Chinook, Coho & Sockeye are all happening. Add to that the GOOD Hali & ling Fishing.
If you Come to THE ISLAND you will NEVER go anywhere else in the future.
See You Soon Fish on John
Oh yes prawning is picking up again. Crabs not so much deep water & sea Otters.

For the money,
Don't know what kinda boat you got, I'd go port renfrew, it's 2-1/2 hrs from the ferry, and then west to Barkley Sound. Prawns in there. Just keep an eye on Big Wave Dave cuz there ain't many places for cover. Fishin is killer, and it's a lot less travel time. Put in at Sooke ..... Better yet.

Back