when is winter chinook fishing going to turn on?

B

barnettm

Any word from up there? Down here in Puget Sound it is mostly 21 inchers.

I had a low teener last weekend, a 12 the weekend before,
and a few in the 8-10 lb range.
there's a few of them out there. :)

usually start getting them around my area about Nov.1
I keep all my old liscences so I can review.

Off Victoria, we hooked 6 springs in about 2 hours (a few weeks ago). All between 5 and 10 lbs. This was an exceptional day of fishing and it doesn't happen that often.

Fished for 2 hours off Bedford's on Wednesday and not a sniff, nothing on the sounder.

I heard nothing but good things about winter spring fishing in the victoria area. Guide boats getting there limit in 2 hours with 4 people! Im going to try sunday

Find the bait, and you will find the fish. No bait = MOVE.

My $0.02 - The further west you go, the better the fishing is in the early Winter season (Nov). Sooke Bluffs area, etc. I'm not in the water right now (Itchy as hell from sanding and filling holes in the newrig), but I ALWAYS worked the Sooke area first, then worked my way east.

In our area (Desolation Sound) we seem to start getting the hot bites for our resident stocks in December not November.... might actually just be because almost no one can get out on the water most Novembers due to the winds we get. Last weekend was 122kph with three days with hydro, looking forward to getting back out in December.

Could be worse, we could live in the Charlottes, every time we get Gales they get Storm force must make for scary winter fishing :)

Any of you in the Vancouver area? If so anything out in english bay?

hit sooke from around noon till dark
fraser island ,flag pole ,followed a couple of bait balls around the bay , didnt see any fish on the sounder
no fish , well thought I saw a fantom strike but nothin there
tried all the usual stuff that has caught me winters in the past and even the RS CRAVEN special HA ha RS

sorry guys wish I had better report

the indians said it was dead . saw a guy comin in and he had a nice 13 lber from whirl bay , he had one other fish on ...

gona try again next week

let me know if any of you are headed out mid week and we can cover more water till we find em

Tubbed

Sorry that spoon didn't work out for ya tubbed....
but if there's no fish ???
try Constance bank next time, winter springs have been
good there.

Finally found some time in the "Fall Projects" schedule to get out fishing yesterday for a few hours - it was just too damn flat and warm not to. Realized I hadn't wet a line in over a month :(

In four hours had ten on, got five in the boat, and three were keepers between 8 and 10 pounds. Nothing huge but they were gorgeous dark orange, fatty, winters - mmmmhhhh, my favorite eating fish of the year.

So needless to say I believe "winter fishing" has already turned on in our area :D

In some of the passes between islands just above Desolation Sound. This time of year we're fishing 180-220' and as tight to the bottom as we can get. Yesterday hootchies were NOT popular but cop car and wonderbread coyotes were aparently looking very tasty. Had not fished in a while so had one short and one long tail and as both were catching fish I never adjusted them. The experiments yesterday were smeering my lures with my prawn trap herring oil and using one of the E-Chip flashers beside my standard black flasher. Caught fish fairly equally both sides so I can at least say that they don't "hate" the Echip or the herring oil :D

Off to try pickling prawns!!!

nope,very slow for me today...
buddy got 1 about 8 lbs on a "cricket" squirt fished deep
got some nice dungie's on the way home :)

Was out with a nieghbour today and we picked up two between 8 and 10 pounds, lost a nice one by the back of the boat when it did a direction change and spit the hook, then accidently hooked into an 18 pound ling cod. Kinda says I was trolling a wee bit to slow on that pass..... Biggest ling cod I've had on in a while, was like trying to reel in a bucket.

Heard the saels are very bad off of the waterfront and surounding areas derby next weekend the frosbite, heard the boozers was cancelled this year too bad!!!!

Fins are you in the frostbite???

Wolf

Back