when is winter chinook fishing going to turn on?

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

why was boozers cancelled?
SUpposedly Burk is building a home, and didnt have time to do the derby

quote:Originally posted by Fins -n- Skins

RS where you out at Conny ?? Might head out tomorrow..

i did both waterfront and constance yesterday afternoon
buddy picked up his on the inside, saw only one netted while
out at the bank

Was out yesterday. Fished off the the west side of Hanson Island. Lots of feed, had a couple of good strikes, but came up emplty handed. Caught a few cod and 3 7"+ dugeness crab. Great day and another one of getting the boat fishin' ready.

Couple of picts
Hanson Island
Fishing018.jpg

The usual classic pict
Fishing020.jpg

Crabs!!!!
Fishing022.jpg

SS

AAAAHHHHHH my true love what a nice looking day there and see craycroft in the background ill be back in june thanks for the pics!!!!!!

Wolf

Wolf

Your welcome. It was my first time fishing that area. What a great place with lots of small reefs and such. I will be down there some more to learn it.

It was great day and cannot wait to go back.

SS

Fished Conny today and managed a 7# and 11# on a mongoose coyote at 130 ft.. Saw a couple of other fish taken and lost to seals, but over all pretty slow.

I concur with that, we put in a 4 hour shift off the waterfront
and bagged one about 10 lbs.
That was the only hit we had on a "cricket" squirt fished deep
about 170' off the rigger.
the crabbing has been good [8D]

fished the waterfront this weekend, new territory for me, and not a sniff.

how do i get to constance?

basically go out to where the freighters are moored?

yes ,freighters are usually anchored close to the top...
best fishing has been southwest corner between 140-160'

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

yes ,freighters are usually anchored close to the top...
best fishing has been southwest corner between 140-160'

thanks for the info. i'll give it a shot when it looks nice...

went out today from 11:30 to 15:00 (the warmest time :)

Decided to waste 15$ in gas to go all the way to the sooke bluffs from Cheannuh.

only got one fish around 6 pounds. Hatchery spring. Watermelon spoon at around 115 ft.

Did some 'hand signals' to a couple of other boats, one got 2 one got none.

did you send the head in? I'd be very curious to hear what area these winter springs come from?

On that note has anybody sent in a hatchery winter from sooke and found out what system it was from?

I sent a head in on Sunday, so will report back with the data. Last time i sent a head in it came back no data. I talked to the creel guy and he said most are coming back saying Columbia river ?? If that's the case just another great job of salmon enhancement...

There are numerous hatcheries in the Puget sound area that produce
hundreds of thousands of returning salmon.
Most winter fish in our local waters are from these hatcheries.
I would hate to think how bleak the fishing would be if not for their
programs.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

did you send the head in? I'd be very curious to hear what area these winter springs come from?

This is the first time I didn't send in the head from a clipped fish because my friend eats the heads. Wish I knew how to cook like that! (He's Chinese, super recepie). But he promised to look for the little tag thing inside the head. Only a small number of fish have these tags. Then I can send in the tag. Most heads u send in you won't get a letter back, only if they have a tag thing inside the head.

On that note has anybody sent in a hatchery winter from sooke and found out what system it was from?

I used to send my heads in for clipped fish and many were Washington and Oregon fish. Caught them on both sides of the island up to north of Campbell River. I agree, if they didn't have such a good fishery it would be bleak around the south and central island particularly in the winter.

Back