When fishing plugs for winter springs???

MyEscape

When fishing plugs for winter springs how far back off the clip do you run them? I mostly fish winters with hootchies, spoons and bait but have lots of plugs so might give them a try. So far have not had a chance to fish for them at all this year due to the constant strong winds for the last month here in the Comox Valley.

Cheers MyEscape

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/18/2006 10:19:44

I fish the hump/lighthouse area and Willow Pt. in Campbell River. Typically run 4-5 inch plugs, about 60 ft back. Best colors are 500, 602, 639.

I fish the hump/lighthouse area and Willow Pt. in Campbell River. Typically run 4-5 inch plugs, about 60 ft back. Best colors are 500, 602, 639.

http://www.tomiclures.com/rigging/standard_ite.htm
I agree with the prior posts regarding leader lengths. I prefer a five inch Tomic 500 plug app. fifty feet back. I've fished the hump in front of Kitty Coleman for over twenty five years with the 500 at 180 feet with great results. Troll a bit faster then you might with a flasher,hootchie setup and Good Luck! Eman

http://www.tomiclures.com/rigging/standard_ite.htm
I agree with the prior posts regarding leader lengths. I prefer a five inch Tomic 500 plug app. fifty feet back. I've fished the hump in front of Kitty Coleman for over twenty five years with the 500 at 180 feet with great results. Troll a bit faster then you might with a flasher,hootchie setup and Good Luck! Eman

I run them around 60 ft back and always ensure the cinch on the knot is right up on top of the "U" tie on spot as close to the body as you can get it , you get way better action and diving characteristics that way.

AL

I run them around 60 ft back and always ensure the cinch on the knot is right up on top of the "U" tie on spot as close to the body as you can get it , you get way better action and diving characteristics that way.

AL

although ive never bothered trying plugs for winters, we absolutely hammered chinook and cohos fishing offshore bamfield with the plugs about 50-60 feet back and trolling quite fast 3-3.5 mph if i recall correctly. seems they wiggle and dart more the farther you go, obviously the fish agree as when set closer the effectiveness reduced accordingly. 602 is always a good choice, 500 is another standard.

although ive never bothered trying plugs for winters, we absolutely hammered chinook and cohos fishing offshore bamfield with the plugs about 50-60 feet back and trolling quite fast 3-3.5 mph if i recall correctly. seems they wiggle and dart more the farther you go, obviously the fish agree as when set closer the effectiveness reduced accordingly. 602 is always a good choice, 500 is another standard.

Just remamber that plugs like to dive down alot deeper than what your rigger will say and being that far back they may want to hang up if your using a tomic plug pop the pins out so if you do hang up give it a few mins and she will pop up to the surface and all you need to do is put a new hook on.

Good luck Wolf

Just remamber that plugs like to dive down alot deeper than what your rigger will say and being that far back they may want to hang up if your using a tomic plug pop the pins out so if you do hang up give it a few mins and she will pop up to the surface and all you need to do is put a new hook on.

Good luck Wolf

Thanks for the info guys. I do pull alot of the pins out of my plugs. I also use the good old favourites 500 and 602 most of the time. What I like about plugs is you troll faster so you can cover more area in a shorter amount of time. Best part is when you get a fish on it's just you and the fish.

Cheers MyEscape

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/19/2006 06:37:04

Thanks for the info guys. I do pull alot of the pins out of my plugs. I also use the good old favourites 500 and 602 most of the time. What I like about plugs is you troll faster so you can cover more area in a shorter amount of time. Best part is when you get a fish on it's just you and the fish.

Cheers MyEscape

Edited by - MyEscape on 01/19/2006 06:37:04

First post everybody. Rubbed the rocks beside wolf many times in one of his local spots. He is a great ambassador for local fishing and always helpful to those that ask, along with many others on this site.

Question regarding plugs, when you pull the guts, do you do anything to prevent the line from chaffing. If the plug comes with a o-ring do you just tie off at the weld?

I spend a fair bit of time on the sooke waters, as I live out that way, and hope to contribute valuable information to the discussions as many others of this site.

First post everybody. Rubbed the rocks beside wolf many times in one of his local spots. He is a great ambassador for local fishing and always helpful to those that ask, along with many others on this site.

Question regarding plugs, when you pull the guts, do you do anything to prevent the line from chaffing. If the plug comes with a o-ring do you just tie off at the weld?

I spend a fair bit of time on the sooke waters, as I live out that way, and hope to contribute valuable information to the discussions as many others of this site.

When fishing Tomics I remove the ring and connect directly to the U ring. I believe this is what you are referring to.
Whats interesting though is that most Tomics I see at junk stores in the Sooke area still have the O ring attatched from days gone by. Go figure

B Gibb

When fishing Tomics I remove the ring and connect directly to the U ring. I believe this is what you are referring to.
Whats interesting though is that most Tomics I see at junk stores in the Sooke area still have the O ring attatched from days gone by. Go figure

B Gibb

http://www.tomiclures.com/rigging/pulled_pin.htm
Welcome wishingfishing check out this site of tomics for general info on the rigging. As far as the O-ring goes you would cut that off if you chose to just fish the plug for sport use. That O-ring is generally for commercial quick change purposes and would not provide very good action at sportfishing boat speeds. As far as chafing goes that's a good question as I can see where the line could get chafed as it exits the plug hole. Only a thought but maybe some soft tubing inserted could be an option. Never tried it myself, maybe someone else has that might help. Tomic suggests a toothpick for adjusting on the site I provided for you. Maybe that helps. Good Luck Eman!

Back