When Do Commercial Prawners Start?

Ate a bunch tonight for dinner, best prawn tacos!

Are first Nations able to commercial prawn before then? I remember seeing them I though in late April last year.

How far do prawns travel while we are on a ecosystem discussion.

I pulled up my crab traps the past week and gave gotten tiny baby prawns in the mud at tseham harbour by van isle marina in Sidney in only 20' of water. I had never seen them before.

We normally prawn off mosses point and into Ardmore.

Curroius what the baby ones are doing on that other location. They were small like the size of a thumb nail.

Attachments

• PXL_20220416_012638882.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220416_012638882.MP.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 80
Ate a bunch tonight for dinner, best prawn tacos!

Are first Nations able to commercial prawn before then? I remember seeing them I though in late April last year.
yes. for food, social and ceremonial purposes.

last year they also pulled three of my sets of traps for their FSC. i caught them in the act and took pics and reported it. haven’t heard anything back to date…

same guy that was commercial fishing in the tyee pool a few years back

yes. for food, social and ceremonial purposes.

last year they also pulled three of my sets of traps for their FSC. i caught them in the act and took pics and reported it. haven’t heard anything back to date…

same guy that was commercial fishing in the tyee pool a few years back
That’s now part of the ceremony. Did you not know?
That happened to me in the Howe Sounds a couple of years ago. Didn’t bother reporting. Same crew that operates the ghost traps ceremony in the Van harbour.

That’s now part of the ceremony. Did you not know?
That happened to me in the Howe Sounds a couple of years ago. Didn’t bother reporting. Same crew that operates the ghost traps ceremony in the Van harbour.
to be fair to the guys that emptied my traps, they only took the prawns. they didn’t take my gear, which would have numbered close to $1000.

and i know for a fact the prawns he caught on his own and stole from me actually made it to some of the elders , because they went on FB and thanked the member for the prawns. i mean…what am i gonna do, they are the most richest band in CR by a country mile. it is what it is. i was mad at the time, not anymore.

Lot of fish eat them. Have seen lingcod, yellow eye(when you could retain), halibut all have them in stomach. And caught a Chinook off the dock with a spot prawn on hooks up north just sitting in rod holder off side of boat.

The musquem band?
Yep! Same aluminum boats coming out of the N arm and planting their ghost traps in English bay and going up the sound. It’s become a routine now. I’m pretty sure that DFO has a ton of evidence on them but they seem to be untouchable in this political climate. I have nothing against the bands and their right to harvest legally but this is pretty insane stuff we’ve been seeing from these guys in recent years.

Last edited:
When I was young, white and drunk I emptied other peoples traps. I chatted with a young indigenous guy Sunday who runs 11 prawn traps and a handful of crab traps. The band buys them from him for events, funerals, celebrations. He’s got a family to support and was supper nice. Digs clams too. Sounded pretty dam sustainable especially compared to what I know some white guys do now and what I did as a commercial fisherman.
Lot of fish eat them. Have seen lingcod, yellow eye(when you could retain), halibut all have them in stomach. And caught a Chinook off the dock with a spot prawn on hooks up north just sitting in rod holder off side of boat.

Cool, I remember finding a new prawning spot due to the huge prawns in the stomach of a halibut. I’ve been wanting to fish for ling cod deeper after catching one good size one out at Swiftsure last year.

to be fair to the guys that emptied my traps, they only took the prawns. they didn’t take my gear, which would have numbered close to $1000.

and i know for a fact the prawns he caught on his own and stole from me actually made it to some of the elders , because they went on FB and thanked the member for the prawns. i mean…what am i gonna do, they are the most richest band in CR by a country mile. it is what it is. i was mad at the time, not anymore.
Yeah. I think I could be the world record holder for calling the RAPP Line. Hours of hiking the rivers in the Fraser area and being out and about the Van harbour and the coast has shown me that poachers are everywhere and they don’t belong to certain ethnic groups. As I’m getting older I find myself being interested in finding solitude in the nature and enjoy myself. It is what it is and there isn’t much to do about it.

Yep, that's the point.
There are bad actors in every community/population.
It is ignorant to tarnish the community for the actions of the few bad actors.
There are a few threads showing the bad actors are operating without regards to getting caught.
If the flagrant bad actors do their dirty deeds with zero consequences, this encourages others to be bad actors while the good actors lose faith in the rules based system.

Back