Wheel Bearings

Dennis.t

I decided to give my wheel bearings on my "new to me trailer" a look over. I redid the bearings on my other trailer last yr after noticing a whine coming from the left side. Sure enough they were on the way out. So I take the cap off, the grease looks brand new, the first bearing pops out, and it looks like new. I pull on the hub to remove it from the spindle so I can get a look at the back bearing. The hub wont freaking come off! Lol. I moves about a 1/4 inch and that's it. Never had this problem before. what to do now???

Im thinking maybe theres a ridge on the spindle preventing the seal from sliding off? Is there some sort of puller devise for this type of dilemma? Lol. Cause man I pulled the shyte on that hub, and it don't want to slide off!

You won't know until you get it off. You need to replace the seal in any event. Make sure you get a double lip seal.

put a chain (approx 4 or 5' long) on 1 stud (fasten with stud nut), then "snap it" towards yourself, like a slide hammer... should pop off.

An easy trick is once you have the outer bearing out wind the castle nut back on and with a firm but quick pull yank the hub off, it should leave the inner bearing and seal hanging on the spindle without damaging the seal or bearing

An easy trick is once you have the outer bearing out wind the castle nut back on and with a firm but quick pull yank the hub off, it should leave the inner bearing and seal hanging on the spindle without damaging the seal or bearing
Wow! I been waiting to see what my options are after putting up this thread. And as always great advice on what to do...Thanx

Two Jaw Puller latched on the Hub; while under tension rap the Center Bolt on the Puller with a hammer and that will free it up.

Thanx for all the advice. I ended up pulling the first bearing off, then wound the Castle nut back on the spindle, using a C clamp, one side on the back of the hub, and the C clamp screw on the Castle nut, I tightened er up, and Viola the hub popped off! Bearings were in great shape. Just need to regrease everything and replace the outer seal now and throw the hub back on. I will pack the C clamp around in my tool box with extra sets of bearings, sleeves and seals. Glad I did it at home instead of struggling with it on the side of the hwy! Lol

Back