What's your favourite salmon jig?

hambone

Mac Deep, spinnow and Lil' Nib are all that I've really tried. They work fairly well but IMO are more of a herring pattern than a needlefish.

What are other people using?

Can't beat the mac deep in pretty much all situations , Pirken style jigs are up there also

In many old tackle boxes you'll see those skinny old jigs, perfect needlefish but I haven't seen them for sale in a long time. What are they called?

My only problem with Mac Deeps is that they fall apart after a couple fish and are worth more than gold.

If needlefish are around green-gold-silver Dart,otherwise Perkins in chrome or green-silver.

Out of production for years but recently re-introduced on a very limited basis. Fished them a lot on this side of the
Straits. Great for Salmon and a good halibut and ling jig also. Flutters sideways on the drop. Hard to find but luckily I have a lifetime supply. This one has not been used for years hence the unpinched barbs and treble hook.

ry%3D400

For pinks (pinks are salmon right?) I like a small pink buzz bomb, with one side UV'd. For springs and coho, l find the new buzz bombs with the holographic design catch a few, but because l have to fish deep, l can only use them at a slack tide.

Mako 22...that looks reminiscent of those "Riptide" jigs that used to be sold around here years back. Think a guy in Campbell River made them.

Are they back in production?

Mako 22...that looks reminiscent of those "Riptide" jigs that used to be sold around here years back. Think a guy in Campbell River made them.

Are they back in production?

No they are called Metzler Mooch-A-Jigs. Norm Metzler, a friend of mine here in Port Angeles, marketed them for many years. They were cast in a foundry in the Puget Sound Area. Out of production for many years, Norm and his Sister have started up a very limited production, now cast in I think Bellingham. They were designed and patented by Norm's dad back in the 70's I think, somewhere I have a copy of the patent.

They are hard to fine, I bought a dozen from Norm last year. Have not seen any in our fishing stores.

Turn it sideways and it is banana shaped. Hollow, the leader passes all the way through. I will take a few other pics and post.

A very good jig, the one shown is 6 oz, I have them up to 12 oz. The 6 and 8 oz ones are my "Go To" jigs, on Coyote (Border Bank) and our "Rockpile" which is south of the boundary and about 6 miles north of Ediz Hook. I have caught lots of salmon and many halibut on these jigs.

When you drop them to the bottom they fall flat and the convex side hits the bottom first. A good jig is battered on the convex side as a result of hitting the sand and rocks. I drop them to the bottom, reel up 5 turns, jig a few times,drop back to the bottom and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope - they are called Mooch-A-Jig originally by Metzler, Now EVENS MFG. bought all the tooling and is working at re-introducing the range.

Thanks for the Evans name, I could not recall.

They are not yet flooding the market, I think the jigs are a low priority for them.

More on the Metzler jig:

Banana curve. 6 oz top, 8 oz bottom.

ry%3D400

6 oz top, 8 oz bottom. Convex side of 8 oz shows the signs of banging bottom. Ah Ha! The shape derived from our old friend the cut plug herring.

ry%3D400

I like jigging. About 50 pounds in the drawer.

ry%3D400

Commercial jigs I used to use were the old Macdeeps. We had two types of home made lead jigs one was a long 7 inch sandlance style and the other was the best it was 4 inches and originally were purchased at IO in bulk but they have not been for sale for years luckily I kept a bunch of them and may make up a mould to pour some more. Paint colour was key for different areas and up at Cow bay my go to colour scheme was black and gold. Sidney channel was Blue green white. The waterfront was day to day throw everything in the water and sooner or later if theres fish you would nail one.

Today was a mac 3" with a changed the treble to a single to keep the weeds of the line and easy release of undersize.tweeked the hook with pliers and it was a good day shore fishing007.jpg

these things will catch pretty much anything that swims in the North Pacific

Back