What's with fishermen?!

Degree of Freedom

Before going on with my rant I will say that I realize you can't paint everyone with the same brush, and this likely applies to the minority...

Ok, so this is not a new observation...it can be witnessed at busy boat ramps everywhere. It was very evident Friday morning at Clutesi and got me a little choked.
Low tide of almost 0 ft and the river running strong...boats on land lined up 4 wide and 6 deep waiting to launch, very limited dock space full of boats and a few lined up in the river flow at half throttle trying to stay put while waiting for dock space. We narrowly avoided a collision when one boat backed out of the ramp and ended up out of control and backwards ripping down the river.
Obviously a sticky situation for everyone. Here's where my question comes from: of all the fishermen on shore waiting to launch and all the people on the docks standing next to or in the boats already tied up, not one single person decided it would be a good idea to walk down the docks and lend a hand.
When I finally got waved in by the attendant I had 20' of dock space on the downstream side of the dock to stick my 24' sunbridge. We got it in there (on the second attempt after a full throttle abort on the first attempt) and the 150 lb dock attendant was the only one there holding 6000 lbs against a 5 knt current until we got the lines tied.
Our docking and loading went very smoothly thanks to that very helpful attendant...but how about the 20 dudes in the parking lot leaning on their bumpers with their arms crossed on their chests waiting to launch?! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the more helping hands, that faster and safer everyone will be on their way.

I know that many fishermen are very helpful and courteous to fellow boaters...but it was not evident at the time I was there on Friday during a time when it was needed the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you're so quick to judge all fisherman in one group listen to this scenerio at the same place. Saturday morning, about 8 AM and the river was screaming. Boats launching and lots trying to get out. The boat ahead of me pulled alongside the wharf and the only way he could do it was with the help of two ramp employees and two fishermen who were in ahead of him. They grabbed his boat and helped him tie off. Then I came in and the two employees and the two guys from the boat in front of me grabbed my boat and helped me tie off. When I was finally around the corner and waiting to pull out I went back and helped boats to tie off. This scenerio continued on until I'd left.
Many times I've backed trailers into the water for people who have no idea how to back a trailer up and I know others who've done the same.
Be careful when you label fishermen as being selfish. It pisses some of us off.
Dave

Edited...

relax guys, I'm probably not talking about you.

I see some pretty ridiculous scenarios unfold at boat ramps as well, and id like to club a few of them with the trusty fish bonker too. I think the above guys probably didnt read your opening line, maybe theyre too impatient, or maybe they are one of "those guys"

We launched friday morning,the person who launched right before us was still there tied to the dock. It was a 24-26 foot boat,I didn't want to go around it because the river was ripping along.We waited for a good 10 minutes for him to get moving,thought he was having engine problems.A few minutes later he came walking down the ramp with a couple of coffee's in hand,turns out the guy was at the gas station getting coffee and snacks for the days fishing

we launched friday morning,the person who launched right before us was still there tied to the dock. It was a 24-26 foot boat,i didn't want to go around it because the river was ripping along.we waited for a good 10 minutes for him to get moving,thought he was having engine problems.a few minutes later he came walking down the ramp with a couple of coffee's in hand,turns out the guy was at the gas station getting coffee and snacks for the days fishing

that makes me rage!

Let's see. The weekend warriors who launch, don't move the boat back, and tie the launch up for ten to fifteen minutes while they gossip or pick their nose. The same brainless twits who take fifteen minutes plus figuring out how to load the boat then block the ramp while they put on tie downs...and gossip...or pick their nose for another ten to fifteen minutes. Let's not forget the idiots who park their truck/trailer in the vehicle only spots, thus making the turn to back down an adventure. And the winner was the genius and his buddy who took 58 minutes to load an 18 foot speedboat.This is a summer long experience at Brechin in Nanaimo. Oh yeah, the occasional fist fight in the parking area between these brain surgeons. LMAO when I'm not cussing them.

Some of the best times of the summer are spent at the launch (pick your favourite). Grab a beer and sit and watch the show. It's better than spending $50 at the movies and you can get a little tan too.

cwf

I would avoid a launch due to the conditions described or pick the right time to launch, it doesn't take much to ruin a trip and I go to enjoy myself.
There are those who are selfish, those who do not know any better and are learning, and there are those who are hopeless. There is a shortage of people with enough patience to help and there are those whose patience has been worn ultra-thin, all in all nobody is perfect.
The commies have to fish we fish for enjoyment we should not be making a boat launch a "a cluster-*****".

Well, at least it's all someone else's fault, right?

New guys should have the good sense to ask for pointers, and the "pros" or non-weekend warriors or whatever should lend a hand. And for guys who are too stupid to ask for, give, or accept help, ask yourself why. And get over it. Right?

One thing I noticed is that commercial fishermen are always ready top help each other out, no matter how stubborn, foolish or green they might otherwise be. It's just a part of the commercial fishing culture. We should lead by example and make good sameritanism a part of recreational fishing culture too. We should try to educate those who don't practice it.

Well, at least it's all someone else's fault, right?

New guys should have the good sense to ask for pointers, and the "pros" or non-weekend warriors or whatever should lend a hand. And for guys who are too stupid to ask for, give, or accept help, ask yourself why. And get over it. Right?

One thing I noticed is that commercial fishermen are always ready top help each other out, no matter how stubborn, foolish or green they might otherwise be. It's just a part of the commercial fishing culture. We should lead by example and make good sameritanism a part of recreational fishing culture too. We should try to educate those who don't practice it.

I am hoping you did not misread my piece, I was not laying blame or putting down the commies it was just how I was seeing the whole rant.

Hey Gunsmith, my post was not a response to you at all. My opening line was directed at all of those turds standing around with their arms crossed who look like they haven't enjoyed themselves in the last decade.

I agreed with your post, I just didn't come out and say it. (As a matter of fact, I usually agree with your point of view, except the whole living in Alta thing:).) My post was not directed at anyone in particular, and I expect that most of the contributors on here do practice good ethics on the water. After all, we all get started here asking questions, and we all stick around here offering assistance. I was really posting for the "viewers" of this site, some of whom probably don't quite get it yet. Hoping that maybe some of them will.

Hey Gunsmith, my post was not a response to you at all. My opening line was directed at all of those turds standing around with their arms crossed who look like they haven't enjoyed themselves in the last decade.

I agreed with your post, I just didn't come out and say it. (As a matter of fact, I usually agree with your point of view, except the whole living in Alta thing:).) My post was not directed at anyone in particular, and I expect that most of the contributors on here do practice good ethics on the water. After all, we all get started here asking questions, and we all stick around here offering assistance. I was really posting for the "viewers" of this site, some of whom probably don't quite get it yet. Hoping that maybe some of them will.
Alright I agree with the living in Alberta thing, but there is money here and I have a bad habit of spending a lot of it in BC. I don't mind because BC has a lot of things I like. Except that if I moved here I would live long enough to get a draw on anything,,lol.
There sure are some shows to be seen at boat launches, you should see some of them in Alberta where we have few lakes and lots of idiots

Back