What's the longest you've played a salmon?

This blue took 45 minutes to land. Very lucky that conditions were flat calm, the skipper was able to back down on it aggressively after its initial run and jumps took all but 50 m of the 800 m on the reel.

Measurements of length and girth indicate weight of 320 lb.

IMG_0660.JPG

This blue took 45 minutes to land. Very lucky that conditions were flat calm, the skipper was able to back down on it aggressively after its initial run and jumps took all but 50 m of the 800 m on the reel.

Measurements of length and girth indicate weight of 320 lb.

View attachment 71327
That's one crazy Salmon!

What did you do with that thing?
Cooked it three or four different ways, gave lots to neighbours and hotel staff. The front desk manager said she had 30 friends and family around for her fish dinner. We probably fed half the town that week.

Two cuts per flank, one above and one below the lateral line. Then seven pieces of meat from each cut, so 28 of these roast-sized slabs in all. Meat quality was excellent. I've caught striped and black marlin before and thought this meat was superior in texture and flavour.

IMG_0699.JPG

45 minutes in becher bay like 9 years back- my largest salmon - around 40, in my 12' aluminum in middle of bay towards aldridge, no one around and no seals - a perfect setting, just my son with me. He was too small to even crank the downriggers, so they stayed down and I just told my boy, this is a beast, I have no idea how I can land this. I was right. Took like 5 huge runs, I babied the thing in knowing I needed to have it sideways for any shot. Finally had a go, net one arm, rod as high as possible the other (6'+ leader didn't help) - actually got it half in net but just couldn't get him all the way, one little flip of the tail and the net got caught on the rod holder - mad scramble to try to undo it, and that was it, game over. I've replayed that fight 20 times in my head since! lol

Back