What's the longest you've played a salmon?

Rain City

Crew Member
Anyone ever actually time this? I've heard crazy numbers like 45 minutes. Even 15 minutes sounds bizarre to me though. I'd say the longest I've ever played a salmon is no more than 5 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Obviously Hali is different so just talking salmon here.

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts but I stupidly wasted 35 minutes of prime time trying to get "my" salmon back from a very smug seal, at Whittlestone Pt. a few years back. :mad:

I don't know if this counts but I stupidly wasted 35 minutes of prime time trying to get "my" salmon back from a very smug seal, at Whittlestone Pt. a few years back. :mad:
Not sure what I'd do in the same situation. I've been fishing for 7 years now and have yet to be sealed. Me thinks it has something to do with the fact that I don't fight fish for fifteen minutes.

Not sure what I'd do in the same situation. I've been fishing for 7 years now and have yet to be sealed. Me thinks it has something to do with the fact that I don't fight fish for fifteen minutes.

Oh boy, you are going to get it back to back now.
That is some good luck I think. Although, location is the big thing that matters in my experience.

To the question, I actually have never really timed. Some feel like a long time, but probably not much more than 10 minutes.

depends on if it is foul hooked. I chased a tail hooked spring up the river at Nitnat thinking it was 50 lbs. it was 25 lbs. 35 minute game

There is some great older footage from the 70s of the Charlottes and Rivers Inlet where guys would play big fish for 45 + minutes.
I think they were using super light 12 -15 lb test leader / mainline though. Possibly live bait and small hooks as well so they absolutely couldn't horse them in.

There is some great older footage from the 70s of the Charlottes and Rivers Inlet where guys would play big fish for 45 + minutes.
I think they were using super light 12 -15 lb test leader / mainline though. Possibly live bait and small hooks as well so they absolutely couldn't horse them in.
I think that's just it. I fought a carp for 15 once on a snoopy rod. With the reels and rods being so good now there isn't even a need to palm a reel. Set it and forget it.

As a guide up in Rivers 06/07, I can attest. Guests and I played one fish for about 45 minutes (66lb). We passed the rod back and forth. It was mooching a cut plug with 4oz weight. Once the fish was tired and we were bringing it up, it hit the layer of freshwater and took off again. Once we got it to the boat, photo, then released.

Anyone ever actually time this? I've heard crazy numbers like 45 minutes. Even 15 minutes sounds bizarre to me though. I'd say the longest I've ever played a salmon is no more than 5 minutes, which felt like an eternity. Obviously Hali is different so just talking salmon here.
Probably because you use flashers? They fight way better without.

I've had several clients take 30 mins or more on big fish either cut plugging or on plugs

Probably because you use flashers? They fight way better without.

I've had several clients take 30 mins or more on big fish either cut plugging or on plugs
That could be a huge factor you're right. Although I do dabble in naked bait and plugs which I really enjoy.

I saw someone fight a downrigger clip for almost 30 minutes at Whale Channel-another couple of geniuses did the same with a piece of kelp at Hippa Island during tide change.
As good as Vancouver Howe Sound thread was last night, this just made my day today.

Lost an absolute hog in tight to the kelp in Cultus sound in 2019. I've been 'playing' that one over and over again in my mind since :eek:

Back