What's For Breakfast This Morning :)

Are you using the Vermont castings butcher paper to wrap? If so how do you like it. Looking to switch up from my current type as believe it wasn’t as good as what my butcher buddy gave me and last 2 briskets have been on the drier side .
Yeah it was actually cheaper than the stuff on Amazon. Can't beat Canadian Tire when they put some things 50%-70% off. This is the first time I'm using tallow though so I'm excited to see the results.

Yeah it was actually cheaper than the stuff on Amazon. Can't beat Canadian Tire when they put some things 50%-70% off. This is the first time I'm using tallow though so I'm excited to see the results.

I have read that tallow and injections are basically the way they get those crazy juicy shots you see. I want to try as well next time.

Whelp, looks good, tastes good. But I'm still not happy. The flat is dry. I think the briskets were just too lean and too small. I think next time I'll wrap earlier and cook faster. The bark is incredible but I think I trimmed too much fat off trying to reach that goal. I can't stand when the bark falls off with a sheet of fat. Need to find a better balance. I think from now on I'll go for bigger briskets and a way better quality. These were quite lean. Still better than most restaurants I've ever tried.
20221008_150807.jpg20221008_151004.jpg

Whelp, looks good, tastes good. But I'm still not happy. The flat is dry. I think the briskets were just too lean and too small. I think next time I'll wrap earlier and cook faster. The bark is incredible but I think I trimmed too much fat off trying to reach that goal. I can't stand when the bark falls off with a sheet of fat. Need to find a better balance. I think from now on I'll go for bigger briskets and a way better quality. These were quite lean. Still better than most restaurants I've ever tried.
View attachment 86017View attachment 86016
Looks good to me. It's hard to get the flat to stay moist. Picking a thicker cut goes a long way in my experience.

I just realized that I made a huge mistake on these briskets. Could be why the flats dried out as much as they did. After wrapping and bringing them to temp, I immediately dropped them both into a small cooler that fit them perfectly. The idea was to rest them for 5 or 6 hours before slicing them up. After doing some reading, this is apparently "holding" and not resting. Makes a lot of sense now that the briskets just kept cooking in a 275 degree oven for five straight hours. That's what the outside temp of the meat would have been at. Apparently what you're supposed to do is rest them at room temp until they come down to an internal temp of at most 185 and then hold them in a cooler. What an idiot.

I just realized that I made a huge mistake on these briskets. Could be why the flats dried out as much as they did. After wrapping and bringing them to temp, I immediately dropped them both into a small cooler that fit them perfectly. The idea was to rest them for 5 or 6 hours before slicing them up. After doing some reading, this is apparently "holding" and not resting. Makes a lot of sense now that the briskets just kept cooking in a 275 degree oven for five straight hours. That's what the outside temp of the meat would have been at. Apparently what you're supposed to do is rest them at room temp until they come down to an internal temp of at most 185 and then hold them in a cooler. What an idiot.
Looked pretty dam good to me

Interesting . Maybe that’s where I went wrong too. Last couple got wrapped in a towel and in a cooler for a few hour rest. Makes sense.

Back