What size swivel fits through a Scotty wheel?

Rain City

Crew Member
Looking to make up some extensions for my riggers. I used to use a 20' chunk parachochord and the knot acted as the stopper. I found a huge difference in blowback with that though.

Get Derby to send you a roll of green gangen in the appropriate size, way smaller knots. Or braided, tarred seine twine I got my roll at Seattle Marine years ago, because PNT only had twisted then.

Get Derby to send you a roll of green gangen in the appropriate size, way smaller knots. Or braided, tarred seine twine I got my roll at Seattle Marine years ago, because PNT only had twisted then.
I have a roll of that twine. Always wondered what it's breaking strength was. Not sure why I ever second guessed using it. I think the tuna cord is the way to go though. Keep meaning to buy a roll for tying up stingers and whatnot but always forget. @Derby add it to the list!!

I use paracord instead of tuna cord. Its way cheaper and if you get good quality paracord it lasts for ages. Just loops and knots, no swivels needed. The paracord needs to be around 2-3mm diameter, if its too thick the knots will jam in the pulleys.

I use paracord instead of tuna cord. Its way cheaper and if you get good quality paracord it lasts for ages. Just loops and knots, no swivels needed. The paracord needs to be around 2-3mm diameter, if its too thick the knots will jam in the pulleys.
That's exactly what I'm doing now. Couldn't find any parachord smaller than 3mm with more than 100lb breaking strength. Maybe its just cheap thick crap I'm using. Maybe there's just no getting around the additional blowback.

I bought a roll of tarred seine cord from Trotac. If I was on the coast I would send you some. Pretty sure it’s a lifetime supply on the roll….lol. I believe it was #21 size which I believe is 220lbs rating. I find it slightly smaller diameter than the tuna cord. Not to mention it’s black and goes better with my boat! I use 15lbs cannon balls and no issues. I typically don’t stack mine so I’m only putting on around 4’. I still use a size 1 swivel as my stopper even though I know the knot works. I like the idea of the swivel in case the swivel on the bottom snap gets fouled up or whatever. As you know there’s probably 50 ways to set it up. But mine is best. Lol.

Last edited:
I use 4-5 ' of green ganion with a loop knot at the top
tie the braid to the loop knot with a palomar and done.
I have used the swivel, but it's just another failure point in my opinion.
I agree, eliminate the swivel. I have had the swivels jam in the pully (use 2/0), had the swivels break in half, plus the plating wears off fairly quickly then I change them out because I don't trust them.
I now use 300 lb P-Line mono at the end of my 200 lb. PowerPro downrigger braid (5 to 7 feet depending on rigger). I have crimped a loop at the end and used a Palomar knot which has worked fine but now am attaching the braid to mono with an Albright knot which seems to be working fine - no swivel and no crimp to worry about rotting away over time.
...Rob

I agree, eliminate the swivel. I have had the swivels jam in the pully (use 2/0), had the swivels break in half, plus the plating wears off fairly quickly then I change them out because I don't trust them.
I now use 300 lb P-Line mono at the end of my 200 lb. PowerPro downrigger braid (5 to 7 feet depending on rigger). I have crimped a loop at the end and used a Palomar knot which has worked fine but now am attaching the braid to mono with an Albright knot which seems to be working fine - no swivel and no crimp to worry about rotting away over time.
...Rob
Similar to my rig. The only swivel I use is to attach the clip leash to the 300lb mono. I put a crimp on the mono 8-12" up from the rigger ball and slid a swivel on below the crimp. Then use the same heavy mono to the clip. Works nice. Never winds up the way ganged does.

I use 4-5 ' of green ganion with a loop knot at the top
tie the braid to the loop knot with a palomar and done.
I have used the swivel, but it's just another failure point in my opinion.
We use green knick proof Masons string from the Building supplier , with tied loops (double overhand knots for the loops) and holds the red stopper well on the doubled braid then a larkshead knot to join the two and the larkshead to the weight clip . works for us Best Regards

Attachments

• 20211208_110943.jpg
    20211208_110943.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20211208_110949.jpg
    20211208_110949.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20211208_110955.jpg
    20211208_110955.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
We use green knick proof Masons string from the Building supplier , with tied loops (overhand knots for the loops) and holds the red stopper well on the doubled braid then a larkshead knot to join the two and the larkshead to the weight clip . works for us Best Regards
Thanks for the pics.

Here’s the system I have been using for several seasons. Main advantage is this doesn’t break and you lose very few canon balls. The original inventor is Bill Von Brendal. For those who know Bill he’s an amazing fisherman who is very innovative. The material is marlin leader. 400 pound test. Attached a bunch of photos so people can see how it’s made. Really simple construction. Good luck.
D3FF5987-DABD-4FCF-99C5-4FFE75E7F63E.jpeg

Attachments

• 53202552-2806-4146-BA7F-5308F06869B9.jpeg
    53202552-2806-4146-BA7F-5308F06869B9.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 5F6DA7DC-F63C-4ADD-AFB9-1DFFFEC4C1B9.jpeg
    5F6DA7DC-F63C-4ADD-AFB9-1DFFFEC4C1B9.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 164A0693-D0C1-4A20-86AE-29957D64D9A4.jpeg
    164A0693-D0C1-4A20-86AE-29957D64D9A4.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 181
Here’s the system I have been using for several seasons. Main advantage is this doesn’t break and you lose very few canon balls. The original inventor is Bill Von Brendal. For those who know Bill he’s an amazing fisherman who is very innovative. The material is marlin leader. 400 pound test. Attached a bunch of photos so people can see how it’s made. Really simple construction. Good luck.
View attachment 72951
Very similar to what I make and use for myself. No messing around

I tie direct to the clip I connect to the ball, no need for any of that added blowback unless you drag bottom a lot.

For sure, try that martin leader material it is amazing. I like to be close to the rocks and often bang bottom is some pretty narly spots. Used to lose a lot of cannon balls, now not so much. Not that I haven't done a few dumb moves and lost some. Last couple broke at the swivel end, so I need to change them out from time to time. Got a little over confident in the system last season and tried running the whole season one one lanyard.

I bought a roll of tarred seine cord from Trotac. If I was on the coast I would send you some. Pretty sure it’s a lifetime supply on the roll….lol. I believe it was #21 size which I believe is 220lbs rating. I find it slightly smaller diameter than the tuna cord. Not to mention it’s black and goes better with my boat! I use 15lbs cannon balls and no issues. I typically don’t stack mine so I’m only putting on around 4’. I still use a size 1 swivel as my stopper even though I know the knot works. I like the idea of the swivel in case the swivel on the bottom snap gets fouled up or whatever. As you know there’s probably 50 ways to set it up. But mine is best. Lol.
I use the same stuff. The knot is the stopper, use 20 pound canon balls and never had a problem. Still have a big roll of it. Lasts forever

Back