What size fishfinder?

234.jpg

this works for me simrads s2009 and evo2 12" mounted off hard top

I’m planning to upgrade my fishfinder to the largest screen size that I can possibly fit on my dash. My Campion 542 came with a HDS 5 Gen 1 that’s doing an Ok job for marking fish but I’m finding the screen size too small for my liking. It sucks to get old, I know! :cool:

While I could live with a HDS 7, it’d be nice to have a 9” screen that I can use for combo pages.
What’s the largest screen that I can fit on my dash without making custom changes to the panel?
I also have a Campion 542. I'm using a 7" Lowrance Hook7 and is mounted in the same place as your sounder. I like the 7 inch, works great for me.

Do the units share one transducer? If separate, a very small difference of angle will make a difference on the depth readings.
I have two transducers & there is a consistent difference between the two displays.
If they share one transducer, yes... It is weird.

s2009 runs a P66 at 50 htz and the evo is on a SS175 H at 200 or chirp
so different cone angles on the transducers....

I linked 2 Garmin plotters via data cable to run 1 as a plotter and the other as a finder. Buddy customized my dash for the 15" plotter as the 12 swings out from the cuddly. They both run independently on existing radar/transducer/ and gps. As mentioned as we get older much easier to see from back of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20170723_095940.jpg
    IMG_20170723_095940.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 42
I linked 2 Garmin plotters via data cable to run 1 as a plotter and the other as a finder. Buddy customized my dash for the 15" plotter as the 12 swings out from the cuddly. They both run independently on existing radar/transducer/ and gps. As mentioned as we get older much easier to see from back of the boat.
Nice setup! I’d be tempted to watch some Sunday football if I had those big screens!

I’m going to have to go through this process in the next few months. I had two 7” inch Lowrance units on my last boat for redundancy and better overall viewing size for he radar. Most of the time I had the gps on one screen and sounder on the other. The Radar got used on lots of morning runs to Swiftsure though. With the new boat I’m waiting to see how the further distance from the main helm feels and visibility from the rear deck. I had considered a 12” main screen up front and run a smaller unit off the rear cabin for when I’m on the back deck trolling. I think I’m leaning towards running two 7” or 9” units up front to start and see what I do do for a rear station once I spend a bit of time on the new ride. Maybe I should start a 3 screens for the price of 1 thread? Lol

I’m going to have to go through this process in the next few months. I had two 7” inch Lowrance units on my last boat for redundancy and better overall viewing size for he radar. Most of the time I had the gps on one screen and sounder on the other. The Radar got used on lots of morning runs to Swiftsure though. With the new boat I’m waiting to see how the further distance from the main helm feels and visibility from the rear deck. I had considered a 12” main screen up front and run a smaller unit off the rear cabin for when I’m on the back deck trolling. I think I’m leaning towards running two 7” or 9” units up front to start and see what I do do for a rear station once I spend a bit of time on the new ride. Maybe I should start a 3 screens for the price of 1 thread? Lol
I think you’ll definitely need a 7 or 9 at the back. My buddies 28’ kingfisher has a 12” up front that you can’t see from the back deck. 9” screen at the back of the cabin for while fishing.
I think three 9” would be ideal. Or two 9” up front and a 7” in the back

I think you’ll definitely need a 7 or 9 at the back. My buddies 28’ kingfisher has a 12” up front that you can’t see from the back deck. 9” screen at the back of the cabin for while fishing.
I think three 9” would be ideal. Or two 9” up front and a 7” in the back

Thanks for the first hand experience. Kinda what I was leaning towards with two up front and one in the back. I just need someone else to suggest it to clear my conscience when the time comes! Lol

And back to @BCRingo original question....I think a 9” or 10” screen would be perfect for that size of boat and dash layout.

Last edited:
@ReelSlim you can probably wheel and deal a bit on triple hds 9’s. Can one transducer do the job for all 3?

Does anyone make a bluetooth linked screen yet? I have the two 12" lowrance on the Commander but one goes up top on the fly bridge and from what I can tell doesn't control the radar, perhaps for safety reasons? I'm thinking about having two cables run, one right beside the main helm screen to have two side by side or the third option of having one mounted at the back deck for when I'm fishing alone. It's like 16' from the rods to the helm inside, even with a 12" it's too far to see. The plan would be to just move the second screen around wherever I needed it. Bluetooth would make this much simpler.

Ive been considering the same setup a few have mentioned.
Two 7" or 9" screens up front flush dash mounted to start.

Looking at simard go 7 or 9 Xse with 3G radar. I'll be adding the heading/GPS sensor for overlay as well.

What is a good transducer? I may run one per unit as I have a habit of knocking one out of alignment on debris...

I may add a 5" or 7" at the rear helm, depend on how well I can see front screens. The cabin on my boat is only 5 1/2'.

I wonder if anymore sells a blue toothed monitor that could be mounted at the rear helm, as rain city mentioned, would make it easy to move around

Does anyone make a bluetooth linked screen yet? I have the two 12" lowrance on the Commander but one goes up top on the fly bridge and from what I can tell doesn't control the radar, perhaps for safety reasons? I'm thinking about having two cables run, one right beside the main helm screen to have two side by side or the third option of having one mounted at the back deck for when I'm fishing alone. It's like 16' from the rods to the helm inside, even with a 12" it's too far to see. The plan would be to just move the second screen around wherever I needed it. Bluetooth would make this much simpler.
I don’t know what units you have but you can wifi to an iPad on gen3 Lowrances. I think you can buy a wifi module for gen2

I don’t know what units you have but you can wifi to an iPad on gen3 Lowrances. I think you can buy a wifi module for gen2
Cooooool. Can you wifi to each other like if I wanted to use the Lowrance unit instead of a tablet?
Maybe I could just mount a 20" smart TV in the back and use that. :eek:

@ReelSlim you can probably wheel and deal a bit on triple hds 9’s. Can one transducer do the job for all 3?

Not 100% sure but I can’t see why not if it’s going through the hub. Not really different than the two I had before with one transducer and a data cable between them. If it is an issue than I can just run a rear unit stand alone while fishing.

Ive been considering the same setup a few have mentioned.
Two 7" or 9" screens up front flush dash mounted to start.

Looking at simard go 7 or 9 Xse with 3G radar. I'll be adding the heading/GPS sensor for overlay as well.

What is a good transducer? I may run one per unit as I have a habit of knocking one out of alignment on debris...

I may add a 5" or 7" at the rear helm, depend on how well I can see front screens. The cabin on my boat is only 5 1/2'.

I wonder if anymore sells a blue toothed monitor that could be mounted at the rear helm, as rain city mentioned, would make it easy to move around

How about you go first and work out all the bugs then I’ll just copy your set up? Lol

Reactions: NDT
Back