what model of scotty downriggers would be a nice fit for my boat

Catch 22

Just picked up a new to me, 2005 campion explorer 542. Looking at the 1100 series scotty electric downriggers. The length of the arms seems to be the biggest difference. Has anyone rigged up this same boat and know what model would be a good fit for this boat. This is all new to me, skill set is beginner!

If you don't need the fast retrieve hard to beat the 1106 and put braid on it

I have only been using the 1106's. They are plenty fast enough for me. By the time I get the fish to the boat the 1106's have brought up the ball up.

I like the dual rod holders and swivel base with the 1116's
but the 36" boom is a stretch on my boat, I never extend the boom.

And try and mount your riggers as far back towards your transom as humanly possible. This, combined with the longer booms will help your downrigger mainline from staying away from your prop if you have to make sudden turns. Not sure about the 542, but the gunnel on my Campion 165 is closed as it joins the transom, so I had to mount mine a little forward than I would have liked to.

Mounting the riggers well aft removes most of the need for 60" booms. If that's inconvenient for access to the rods, skip the boom-mounted holders and put the rods in holders mounted within easier reach.

I don't think you need to spend the $ for the extendable booms. I had the 30" Scotties on my 542 and they worked just fine. I had them mounted just aft of where the gunwale plates were and never had a problem with tangles with either my main motor or kicker.

Harbor chandler or army and navy have great prices I have bought the 1106 for $469 each from them

Just picked up a new to me, 2005 campion explorer 542. Looking at the 1100 series scotty electric downriggers. The length of the arms seems to be the biggest difference. Has anyone rigged up this same boat and know what model would be a good fit for this boat. This is all new to me, skill set is beginner!

Scotty riggers rarely go onsale but your best bet is get to Harbour Chandler on Saturday for the pirate sale , bring a friend or spouse as it is one per customer , when the doors open there is a stack or riggers red tagged, know what you want n get your arms around it quickly..[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back