What makes a good prawn trap??

Dave S

I have a bunch of different style prawn traps in my yard from various used purchases. I am trying to figure out what features and design make a good prawn trap. I have some Ladner 30" commercial tapered, Jolly roger rectangle folding, knock off bauer, and round coated steel cylinder.

Is heavier better?
Diameter of opening?
Number of openings? 2? 3? 4?
Angle of ramp? Is a mellow slope better than a steep slope?
Round, square, rectangle?
Size of mesh?
Material preference....coated wire? nylon mesh?
Height of ramp? I heard it's better for the ramp to start right at bottom edge of trap. Anyone agree with this?

I may be analyzing this a little too much, but I want to figure out which styles I am going to take out this year.

Much thanks.

Oh, and when it comes to repairing and refurbishing traps, where do you guys get new rubber bands? It looks like some of the bands used are cut from tire tubes. Is this the way to go? Kal tire or something?

FA's suggestions in the past about mesh size openings are bang on IMO. When I renew my set up next year they will be Ladners with the commercial mesh.

I find weighted traps work better because prawns would not wont to enter something moving around on the bottom I use the commercial stacking traps and hang stainless steel chain in them works like a hot damn

Hey Dave, I'm no expert but I did do a season of commercial prawning and I've done a fair bit recreationally.

First off, IMO the best trap out there is the Bauer style, rigid frame/ coated wire. The commercial style traps are still plenty good enough to catch lots of prawns. The remaining trap styles I can't really comment on but I don't think they are as good.

Commercial traps....There are vessel size restrictions in the commercial prawn fishery which is the main factor in the commies using the Ladner style trap. They need to be able to tightly stack traps in transit which wouldn't be possible with a rigid Bauer style. So I think it's fair to say they actually aren't using the best type of trap out there. There are certain small details that are important when usong a commercial style, regardless if it is a well built trap or a knock off. Based on my experience.....
- Use the standard 3" tunnel rings, they are proven and I do think it matters if a prawn feels comfortable entering the trap.
- any mesh trap should be inspected (when built) and any loose or baggy mesh should be tightened with some twine. You want the built trap to have a very tight wrap so it's easier for a prawn to walk around the outside and find the doors. Most used commie traps are in desperate need of a mesh tightening.
- heavier traps are better, you don't want any drift/movement. If your trap puller can handle a cinder block or some type of anchor I would recommend clipping one on to your ground line.
- 3 doors work just as good as a trap with more. We had a few with 6 doors and they didn't do anything special.

Hope that helps...

The problem with those islander is they catch lots of baby prawns and shrimp. Which is not cool.

To the OP I am not sure what makes a good trap vs a bad trap. I am not a huge prawner, but in my limited experience the square ones always out fish the round stackables. I cant convince my self to invest in prawning when they are 4 dollars a pound at the dock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dave, I'm no expert but I did do a season of commercial prawning and I've done a fair bit recreationally.

First off, IMO the best trap out there is the Bauer style, rigid frame/ coated wire. The commercial style traps are still plenty good enough to catch lots of prawns. The remaining trap styles I can't really comment on but I don't think they are as good.

Commercial traps....There are vessel size restrictions in the commercial prawn fishery which is the main factor in the commies using the Ladner style trap. They need to be able to tightly stack traps in transit which wouldn't be possible with a rigid Bauer style. So I think it's fair to say they actually aren't using the best type of trap out there. There are certain small details that are important when usong a commercial style, regardless if it is a well built trap or a knock off. Based on my experience.....
- Use the standard 3" tunnel rings, they are proven and I do think it matters if a prawn feels comfortable entering the trap.
- any mesh trap should be inspected (when built) and any loose or baggy mesh should be tightened with some twine. You want the built trap to have a very tight wrap so it's easier for a prawn to walk around the outside and find the doors. Most used commie traps are in desperate need of a mesh tightening.
- heavier traps are better, you don't want any drift/movement. If your trap puller can handle a cinder block or some type of anchor I would recommend clipping one on to your ground line.
- 3 doors work just as good as a trap with more. We had a few with 6 doors and they didn't do anything special.

Hope that helps...

Much thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips Hambone. As far as mesh tightening goes, whats the best way to do this? Do I need to remove the rope that wraps around upper and lower rings?

Much thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips Hambone. As far as mesh tightening goes, whats the best way to do this? Do I need to remove the rope that wraps around upper and lower rings?

Its really simple, just close up the trap as you would if you were about to set your gear. Then inspect it for baggy areas and with some twine tie the excess mesh to the ring. Make it in really tight as its always going to stretch out again. If the mesh on your trap is complete junk you can buy replacements (already made to size) at stores like Trotac or PN&T, but you'd more than likely just need to buy some twine.

Also a simple way to add weight to a commercial trap is to use any extra leaded line you may have and just wrap it around the rings the same way as the rope that's already on there. It adds a decent amount of weight and adds a bit of protection at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant convince my self to invest in prawning when they are 4 dollars a pound at the dock!

Why would you fish or even own a boat then? You can rent a whole lot of boats over many years for what it costs to own and use one of equivalent size and quality, and fishing lets not even go there It's never "worth" it when you look at it that way.

The problem with those islander is they catch lots of baby prawns and shrimp. Which is not cool.

To the OP I am not sure what makes a good trap vs a bad trap. I am not a huge prawner, but in my limited experience the square ones always out fish the round stackables. I cant convince my self to invest in prawning when they are 4 dollars a pound at the dock!

a very strange attitutude about recreational fishing indeed !
and where can you buy spot prawns for 4 dollars a lb. ? at what dock?
must be poached , cause commercial guys are getting double that to a processor.

commy boat was getting $16/lb live at the dock on granville island this year during the season, right by the go fish restaurant. that was selling to the public. not sure what they were in steveston or what they got from the processor in vancouver.
as for the traps bauers or similar hands down from my experience if you have room for them.

cheers nicnat

Weight and bait and a good FF. Prawns will not enter a moving trap....hence the weight. DO NOT skimp on bait and use the best bait you can get..creating a good scent trail to your trap is imperative. Last but not least....you need a good FF to see EXACTLY where you are dropping....won't do you much good dropping on a very steep slope instead of right on top of it.......you do these three things any decent trap will work. Oh yeah and check your trap every 45-60 minutes....that will tell you if you're on the prawns...if no prawns by then move along (nothing more to see) and try another spot until you're dialed in...

Be safe all...Swanny

Thanks for all the input folks. With all the comments on rigid coated mesh box traps being superior over round commie style traps, it makes me wonder why the Bauer traps are better? I am assuming its because they are rigid, and since prawns like to hang out in and around rocky areas, maybe they feel more comfortable crawling on a rigid material.

Thanks for all the input folks. With all the comments on rigid coated mesh box traps being superior over round commie style traps, it makes me wonder why the Bauer traps are better? I am assuming its because they are rigid, and since prawns like to hang out in and around rocky areas, maybe they feel more comfortable crawling on a rigid material.

I am definitely no expert in prawn traps either but from what i was told for a knowledgeable prawner at Harbour chandler is that the Bauer trap out fishes the other because the ramp that leads to the opening the prawns enter the trap. On the Bauers it starts at the base of the trap , where other traps the opening starts one inch from the bottom or even half way up the trap... will see how they work as i have two of the 24 inch bauers ready to go when i get home.

It's by no means conclusive, but I have done side by side comparisons with various traps. Having the ramp right on the ground did make a positive difference in performance, and the more powerful the scent trail the better.
IMHO

Late to the party but I was recently given a Bauer trap. I drop 4 traps at a time. 1 mesh commercial, 2 folding mesh and 1 Bauer. The Bauer seems to catch as much as the other 3 combined.

Back