Bait jar placement in prawn trap?

d_Westie

I just got a couple of new prawn traps and I'm trying to figure out how best to secure the bait jar in the trap. The bait jar is about half the height of the trap.
is it better to have the bait jar on the bottom of the trap or hanging from the top of the trap and tight to the top of the trap?

I just got a couple of new prawn traps and I'm trying to figure out how best to secure the bait jar in the trap. The bait jar is about half the height of the trap.
is it better to have the bait jar on the bottom of the trap or hanging from the top of the trap and tight to the top of the trap?
I hang mine from the top about 6 inches down on a string so that the prawns sight or scent horizontally from the entrances, not tight to the top as the prawns sit on top trying to feed as opposed to hunting the entrances.

Thanks for the reply. what you said makes sense to me.
Given that my trap is only 9" high and the bait jar is just over 4 inches I think I will mount it to the bottom of the trap. Makes it easier to do too.

Thanks for the reply. what you said makes sense to me.
Given that my trap is only 9" high and the bait jar is just over 4 inches I think I will mount it to the bottom of the trap. Makes it easier to do too.
If your bait jars have bungees on them you can just run the bungee out of the open end of the trap and after you sinch the trap closed you just pull and hook the bait bungee onto the mesh. When you open up and dump your traps the bait jar comes out with it. Super fast to do.

Back