What length release clip do you prefer.

salmon slayer

I noticed that the scotty release clips come in lengths from 18 inches to 5 feet. What do people prefer and does the lenght make any difference?

I have a boat with lower sides, and no railings to lift the mount point of my downriggers higher, so I like using shorter clips so that when I lift my balls all the way up the clips are not trailing in the water when I'm trying to land fish. This means I have to partially lift my boom arms to set my lines but I've got my auto stops set at just the right place so when I lift the arm the ball swings in at the right level for a quick clipon. Not a good setup for anyone with a slippery deck or for those that fish in rough waters but works well on my boat in our area. I can set my lines fast without a gaff and don't have to worry about wrapping around lines when landing fish.

I have a boat with lower sides, and no railings to lift the mount point of my downriggers higher, so I like using shorter clips so that when I lift my balls all the way up the clips are not trailing in the water when I'm trying to land fish. This means I have to partially lift my boom arms to set my lines but I've got my auto stops set at just the right place so when I lift the arm the ball swings in at the right level for a quick clipon. Not a good setup for anyone with a slippery deck or for those that fish in rough waters but works well on my boat in our area. I can set my lines fast without a gaff and don't have to worry about wrapping around lines when landing fish.

I find them any longer than 36" are a pain. But not shorter than 24"
cheers

I find them any longer than 36" are a pain. But not shorter than 24"
cheers

I use 30" when fishing one rod, if stacking then I use two 40" to get a better spread of the two lines

I use 30" when fishing one rod, if stacking then I use two 40" to get a better spread of the two lines

I use the 60" length for safety in clipping in swells and rough seas , older translates into trying to remember you are not 25 anymore with super fast reactions etc ' this was brought to my attention today on my 65th birthday by several old fishing buddies.

AL

I use the 60" length for safety in clipping in swells and rough seas , older translates into trying to remember you are not 25 anymore with super fast reactions etc ' this was brought to my attention today on my 65th birthday by several old fishing buddies.

AL

quote:Originally posted by salmon slayer

I noticed that the scotty release clips come in lengths from 18 inches to 5 feet. What do people prefer and does the lenght make any difference?

I like 30" to 36" or so. It allows you to see small strikes easier, and it also allows you to bring them inside the boat while you hook up.

Downside is that they do trail in the water a bit when you bring the ball up when playing a fish. I just reach over and grab the line and then drop the clip into the rodholder on the boom - keeps it out of the way. I also swing the riggers back as far as they will go so that they almost point at each other across the stern.

quote:Originally posted by salmon slayer

I like 30" to 36" or so. It allows you to see small strikes easier, and it also allows you to bring them inside the boat while you hook up.

Downside is that they do trail in the water a bit when you bring the ball up when playing a fish. I just reach over and grab the line and then drop the clip into the rodholder on the boom - keeps it out of the way. I also swing the riggers back as far as they will go so that they almost point at each other across the stern.

I like the 48" clip on my long arm scotty's.
When you bring it up the clip can hang inside the boat
no reaching to attach the line,

I like the 48" clip on my long arm scotty's.
When you bring it up the clip can hang inside the boat
no reaching to attach the line,

Ditto to r.s. cravens reply. 4' clips can sit up on the wide side of my welded aluminum or hang inside.

Ditto to r.s. cravens reply. 4' clips can sit up on the wide side of my welded aluminum or hang inside.

The longer your downrigger arm the longer clip you will need to reach it.
For my Cannon short arms 18" - 24" is all you need. If you get a bite which doesn't pop off the clip, it's quick work to reel down and pull the line out , saving those precious seconds to set the hook.

Back