What is wrong with my T8 - need some input

There seems to be some stale light weaseling its way through chinks in the armor of Yamaha's former bullet-proof reputation...

The oxidation problems in the lower legs of the earlier 225's made me take a step back from the Yamaha buffet table, especially the way Yamaha corporate handled it (or didn't handle it) ---pretty much text book on what a corporation should NOT do to support its brand....

My history---I went from blue to silver three years ago. Not to be a shill for Honda (they're expensive~!) but I've noticed when working on them that the parts seem to be way burlier then Yamaha---hold them in your hand---they feel "over built" which in a salt environment is not a bad thing.

I'll say this---my BF150 has never skipped a beat in 500 hours of run time. The only alarm I ever hear is when there's kelp blocking the cooling intake screens.

The 9.9---it has an electric choke which at first worried me (I'm an old 2-stroke guy and I like fiddling with knobs if something doesn't start right away...) But that 9.9---in multiple hundreds of cold starts, it has started first time, every time. The deal is: don't touch the throttle. Don't touch anything. Just push the start button... (and drain the float bowl if the engine is going to sit for awhile)

That was not the case back in my Yamaha T8 days---not a happy cold starting unit...

I'd be curious to know what the mechanics say about what's up with the problem T8's. I'll bet it's either carb or diaphragm. T-stat would be last on my list to fiddle with

I can find people with Zukes or Honda's who've told me their horror stories. I've had good luck with all my Yams other than one minor carb issue with my 2009 HT 8HP Yam.

I'm working on another forum members 2004 T9.9 right now and it's the same story. The idle circuit in the carb is blocked and have been unable to clear it. Also there is some corrosion in the passages and jets so will likely end replacing the unit as a whole. These carbs are a crappy design. Extremely difficult to clean and a microscopic piece of debris will shut down the whole system.

Definitely recommend running a racor filter inline before the kicker if you run these motors.

You know... the Yami manual is pretty clear on needing fuel filters - prob 2000+ hrs on my 2006 kicker and NEVER a hiccup after first week, when we cooled the fuel pump.
It's not Yamaha's fault if you have a less than ideal install.

Yes...but the fact you have to buy the engine and then install your own version of a fuel pump cooler.....and then say that Yammy makes a good engine.......well...........geez......

The other brands have add similar problems with vapour lock on fuel pumps, especially in hot climates. There are many posts about 140 Zukes in the Florida market area with the same issues.

Back