What is this fish

tinboatrobb

Got this off oak Bay on the weekend.. it was bright red. Looks like a lingcod or maybe a cabezon. Released it after a good ling like fight. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190722_164659_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20190722_164659_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 813
  • Screenshot_20190722_164621_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20190722_164621_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 795
That makes sense. I have caught many fish off oak Bay but never one like this. Are they good eating? I would think not...lol

Looks too long for a Red Irish Lord-this is one I C&R'ed up at Langara one year

RedIrishLord.jpg

That makes sense. I have caught many fish off oak Bay but never one like this. Are they good eating? I would think not...lol

Sculpin are not bad, but the amount of meat you'll get off one is shockingly small. They're all head and bone. I've caught a few Cabezon pushing over 15lbs, maybe get 1 or 2 lb of meat off them at the most. Not worth the effort...

Yup, Cabezon. They can vary in colour from almost black to brown to copper depending on where they live.

To tell the difference between red irish lord and cabezon, look for a large nostril flap as this would indicate a cabezon. Also, look at the dorsal fin, if there is a notch at the 3rd of 4th spine and there are two distinct dorsal fins it is a cabezon, if otherwise it is probably a red irish lord. This looks like a cabezon.

Its a Red Irish lord, Sculpin family.

After further examination of the pictures and zooming in. Seems to be a red Cabezon, Not a red Irish lord. I believe they are good eating but as someone mentioned not worth the effort as they are mostly Head and bones.

They fight like a fish 4x their size and they are supper "heavy". Many times had a bite, line going out for initial run, yippee a legal ling. Then the big ugly comes up. Good thing is no descender needed as they go straight back down. Good to see some non migratory fish in barren Vic waters.

HM

It did hit like a ton o bricks. I thought it was a 15lb ling for a while. Beautiful color on it. Thank for the replies.

It’s a cabezon!

Cabezon unlike Irish lords, great sculpin, Buffalo sculpin, and other larger sculpin species have smooth skin, eliminating all other sculpin species.

That's not an Irish lord that's a Cabazon. They come I'm a variety of colors including that one

Hard to tell from the pictures and I've caught a lot of cabezon and never seen a red one. It could well be a vermillion rockfish, Sebastes miniatus. If it is, it's one of the best eating rockfish around.

Back