What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Yeah, since another member asked it’s an AGM absorbed glass matt with the right cold cranking amps for my engine and a deep cycle. The idea is you can draw them down more then a regular deep cycle and maintain voltage.

Costco has a slightly better deal on them, than can tire but you have to order online. This was used once for an electric motorized foil canoe project so only 150$. Regular about $300. (I’ll get you guys a video, Uvic engineering project)

I have to long a run to my house battery for my wallas stove/heater fan so want something robust for it to run throughout the night and still allow the boat to start in the morning. I’d have gone lithium but a good starting one is pricy https://dakotalithium.com/product/d..._dglKB-56nV3vqTyymQARHv1FpEHp2CBoC6UoQAvD_BwE

Agm are great and the life is more than I expected. I have 2 blue top optima batteries 5 years old swapped out last spring for new lead acid batteries as the new optima’s are priced so high. I recently charged the optima’s that had been sitting for a year.let rest for 2 days and they load tested good.
5 years old and sat for the last year!

Agm are great and the life is more than I expected. I have 2 blue top optima batteries 5 years old swapped out last spring for new lead acid batteries as the new optima’s are priced so high. I recently charged the optima’s that had been sitting for a year.let rest for 2 days and they load tested good.
I changed over to AGM's last year. They are certainly superior to lead acid and seem ideal for boats, all things considered.

My yellow tops are that old and have at times done double duty running my Minn Kota 50 lb thrust. Still going strong!

Lifted my motor (Evinrude 135HO) up to the top hole using the trailer jack method. Was a bit dicey as the bottom holes in the slot were originally drilled about 1/4" too low, so I had to get the top two bolts mounted, then deal with re-drilling the bottoms. The drill bit was half in the old holes, so it was a real chore to keep the drill bit from catching and skipping around, but I managed it pretty cleanly. I was a bit nervous that the 'elongated' holes would leak, but got a nice big M12 stainless dock washer with a clean bead of 4200 and everything sealed up really nicely (without resorting to just gooping up the entire area). Not a drop in the pod when we tested it the next day for our final run of the season.

Anyway, finally got it mounted at the right height so that the anti-cav plate skims the surface. Previously, I had to run it fully trimmed down or it would start to porpoise almost immediately. That's gone and it fees much lighter/faster, with lots of range to adjust the trim range and tons of grip. I still got a bit of porpoising at certain speeds/trim settings, but way better and i think that was mainly because the weather was cold and both my wife and son were sitting in the back behind the console to get out of the wind (might experiment with some weights in the bow seat). Now that the outboard is mounted correctly, next year I'll start playing with different props as I'm only running a 15x15" pitch and its still got legs at the top end, and I'd like to lower the RPMs a bit when cruising.

When I got the boat this past spring the engine was mounted on the 2nd hole and it just felt like I was dragging the lower unit through the water. I raised it to the 3rd hole back in July but still wasn't happy with it. Thankfully it runs nice now, because I'm out of holes and the transom wouldn't let me go any higher.

(View heading north on the Pitt River)
Jasper.jpg

Last edited:
I changed over to AGM's last year. They are certainly superior to lead acid and seem ideal for boats, all things considered.
I was just at the Costco tire store in Vancouver booking a rotation, and noticed that they keep the batteries there. And to my surprise, they have a boatload of AGM batteries of different sizes and ratings there. I thought they all had to be ordered online, so this will make the changeover this winter easy.

Had my boat serviced , replaced the impeller and thermostat on the 9.9 as it was running hot... all good now. Fuel topped up and added stabilizer. She is going to sleep until late February when my prawn supply will have run out.

Ahh progress. After a lot of grinding to fit we went with tabs to bolt the Alaskan bulk head into position. Worked out pretty good. I ordered up the wrong one but a proper gasket to seal the edges is on its way and will finish it off nicely. Door parts went home with my welder guy and will be ready in a couple weeks. Will post up better pics of the completed project when I get them back. It came together just in time winter fishing season is nearly here. IMG_7541.jpegIMG_7543.jpeg

Last edited:
Blew a power steering line somehow. Only thing I can think of is it rubbed on a cut off zap-strap. My gunnel is currently full of kitty litter soaking it all up out of my carpet. Quick fix with a 3/8s barb to barb fitting and some hose clamps.

Blew a power steering line somehow. Only thing I can think of is it rubbed on a cut off zap-strap. My gunnel is currently full of kitty litter soaking it all up out of my carpet. Quick fix with a 3/8s barb to barb fitting and some hose clamps.
Did it happen on the water or did it happen when it was Parked? I often thing about “what if” that happened in open seas. How the hell would you limp home

Back