What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

I was going to service my disc brakes and re pack the wheel bearings. After removing the 1st caliper that all changed. One look and I knew it was going to be replace everything. So last night I prepped the new rotors with the new bearings and grease seals then today (maybe the last nice sunny day to work outside) I removed and installed all new brakes. I just have to get my buddy over to work the break away switch on the electric pump so I cam bleed them. I've also spent some time getting my 12ft Thornes set up for a return to fresh water fishing. Bought a new Ez-loader for it and have had it out to Elk Lake a couple of times but still have what I think is a plugged high speed jet on the 9.5 Johnson due to sitting after rebuilding it.
That motor looks mint!!

I was going to service my disc brakes and re pack the wheel bearings. After removing the 1st caliper that all changed. One look and I knew it was going to be replace everything. So last night I prepped the new rotors with the new bearings and grease seals then today (maybe the last nice sunny day to work outside) I removed and installed all new brakes. I just have to get my buddy over to work the break away switch on the electric pump so I cam bleed them. I've also spent some time getting my 12ft Thornes set up for a return to fresh water fishing. Bought a new Ez-loader for it and have had it out to Elk Lake a couple of times but still have what I think is a plugged high speed jet on the 9.5 Johnson due to sitting after rebuilding it.
i can give you a 9.5 complete engine for a spare if you want it

How many seasons you get out of your disc brakes? Thinking of making the switch the next time I go to repack my bearings and end up replacing everything…

How many seasons you get out of your disc brakes? Thinking of making the switch the next time I go to repack my bearings and end up replacing everything…
Was trying to figure that out...I have receipts just have to find it..but thinking 6 years plus. The rotors could be turned so I may hang onto them, calipers never seized but the part of the piston outside of the rubber seal needs to be cleaned/polished to see if they are ok to reuse. Bearings were ok but will toss them, brake pads were done. So if I can save the rotors and calipers the next time will be cheaper. Cost me $1500.00 with my discount for complete kits which came with new mounting plates, bearings, seals, buddy bearings and the end dust caps.

Was trying to figure that out...I have receipts just have to find it..but thinking 6 years plus. The rotors could be turned so I may hang onto them, calipers never seized but the part of the piston outside of the rubber seal needs to be cleaned/polished to see if they are ok to reuse. Bearings were ok but will toss them, brake pads were done. So if I can save the rotors and calipers the next time will be cheaper. Cost me $1500.00 with my discount for complete kits which came with new mounting plates, bearings, seals, buddy bearings and the end dust caps.
Thanks for the info that sounds far better than the 3 years I got out of drums. 1500$/wheel you think?

That is for 4 complete setups. Brackets, rotors, callipers, pads, bearings, grease seals, buddy bearings and dust covers. That is four 5 lug 10 inch rotors. Retail is $399 per set at Sherwood

That is for 4 complete setups. Brackets, rotors, callipers, pads, bearings, grease seals, buddy bearings and dust covers. That is four 5 lug 10 inch rotors. Retail is $399 per set at Sherwood
Thanks for the info. That’s definitely a better way to go

Last few months have been busy on the 24 double eagle, removed over 2000lbs of old Mercruiser 470 engines, drives and other junk. plugged the holes and glassed the rear with 8 layers of 1708 and west epoxy, the transom glass is 3/8 thick on this thing.

Spent a few days sanding the multiple layers of bottom paint off, still need to lift the hull of the trailer and Finnish sanding where it sits on the bunks but I’ll wait till I’m ready to Interprotect it and do one side at a time. Had to pull the fenders off the trailer for more access.

Finished the new rear deck with some 13x30 hatches and will add the Tempress hatch liners on the outside hatches for in floor fish boxes, will glass that down after the pod is on so it will be a self bailing deck,

It heads to DSS on November 10 for its pod.

IMG_3311.jpegIMG_3361.jpegIMG_3497.jpegIMG_3074.jpeg

Last edited:
Opened up the tank compartment today on the project Searay because the exposed end that I could see was oozing water out between the foam and tank.I was told the tank was changed out when the pod was done in 2015.Hard to see in the pictures probably ,but the foam was fine,not waterlogged but the tank had a layer of water between the foam and tank and the tank paint came off with the foam.I haven't quite got the tank out yet because it was sitting on foam too and I'm trying to wedge it up and out.It's holding on tight so far,but I'm sure I can pry it off eventually.I think foam (closed cell or not) is a bad idea on a tank because of the condensation created.I'm hoping the bottom looks as good as the top or I'll be replacing the tank.I've done too much work on this boat to have the tank fail down the road for someone.
IMG_9773.JPGIMG_9774.JPGIMG_9775.JPG

Opened up the tank compartment today on the project Searay because the exposed end that I could see was oozing water out between the foam and tank.I was told the tank was changed out when the pod was done in 2015.Hard to see in the pictures probably ,but the foam was fine,not waterlogged but the tank had a layer of water between the foam and tank and the tank paint came off with the foam.I haven't quite got the tank out yet because it was sitting on foam too and I'm trying to wedge it up and out.It's holding on tight so far,but I'm sure I can pry it off eventually.I think foam (closed cell or not) is a bad idea on a tank because of the condensation created.I'm hoping the bottom looks as good as the top or I'll be replacing the tank.I've done too much work on this boat to have the tank fail down the road for someone.
View attachment 99097View attachment 99098View attachment 99099
Agreed foam has its place but definitely not around a gas tank, it’s going to be a ….. to take that tank out, good air flow all around the tank is a better idea Imo

Installed a cheap Chinese diesel heater. Ordered it direct from Vevor for $136. I was expecting a low quality cheap Chinese heater but was pleasantly surprised when I received a not quite as low quality cheap Chinese heater. This thing really blasts the heat out. Did not cut the vent holes in the dash yet and am hesitant to drill a hole in the hull for the exhaust outlet but am slowly talking myself into it . No progress made on my Alaskan bulkhead. IMG_7454.jpegIMG_7455.jpegIMG_7474.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed a cheap Chinese diesel heater. Ordered it direct from Vevor for $136. I was expecting a low quality cheap Chinese heater but was pleasantly surprised when I received a not quite as low quality cheap Chinese heater. This thing really blasts the heat out. Did not cut the vent holes in the dash yet and am hesitant to drill a hole in the hull for the exhaust outlet but am slowly talking myself into it . No progress made on my Alaskan bulkhead. View attachment 99115View attachment 99116View attachment 99117
Gotta put one of these in the camping trailer I built, you got a link for that one?

Back