What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Yeah it's the prop stuck on the splines. Was greased when it was last installed, but somehow neglected to remove and re-grease for a couple of seasons despite doing all the other kicker maintenance.

Out of character for me, most people would say I tend toward the over-maintained end of the spectrum, doing a 100 hour service every fall plus extras regardless that I only do 50-60 hours a season, but I somehow dropped the ball on this one.
Wally try a little trick I know of heat the hub up and use a candle or a wax stick to push into the output shaft splines on the hub. The wax works it’s way into the splines and can usually loosen something like that up

Thanks I'll give it a try. Heading out to vote and then a relaxing day in the shop putzing around with motors.

Yeah it's the prop stuck on the splines. Was greased when it was last installed, but somehow neglected to remove and re-grease for a couple of seasons despite doing all the other kicker maintenance.

Out of character for me, most people would say I tend toward the over-maintained end of the spectrum, doing a 100 hour service every fall plus extras regardless that I only do 50-60 hours a season, but I somehow dropped the ball on this one.
pull it with a prop puller

pull it with a prop puller

Ya this, I used a thick steel air craft type cable threaded through the exhaust ports with a pulley remover and it popped off. This was on my rear duo prop the shop said was greased last season then they couldn't remove it even though the boat was only in the water 2 months...they used a bfh and bent the front prop then hit the brakes. I found this method online and did it myself, while they got to fix my nice new $2,000 stainless props, still a bit choked over that. Anyway spray the nut with your favorite anticorrosion for a few days and give it hell. Just don't use a hammer, k? Haha

Used It :D! We have been babying the boat since putting it up for sale. However, this stretch of weather is just too enticing to continue to simply wash and clean. Water at FC was fantastic and we threw back a ton small coho. More interested in giving the new-to-boat a good trial and was really impressed with the motor. Used to cruise at 4300 rpm to hit 29-30 mph. Now found the it drops to 4000 rpm to hit the 30 mph mark. Hole shot is equally better. Only downside is that it seemed to troll faster, both by SOG and by angle of downriver at 700 rpm.

Just a little update started the soundproofing in the boat nice product easy to apply, installed the new water pump not a nice job on a 2452,was not fun squeezing my old fat butt into the floor storage compartment to get at it,only to realize that on one of those nasty trips I made a couple years ago broke the floor brace for the water tank hold down so more Harry Houdini to come. Got the new bilge pump and float switch installed,also located the second blower motor on the port side and have decided to use it in reverse flow for a fresh air intake.still need to mount the dash bilge switch,get a 2 1/16" hole saw for the trim gauge. Got the EVA faux teak flooring that stuff is going to look amazing and reduce fatigue for sure. New washdown pump should be here in a day or two. Install the gimble drop the engine in and we should be floating soon,sounds easy hahahaha. I've got a ton left to do,got dark send some pics soon.

Back