What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

What did you do to stop the rattling?
I took a piece of irrigation drip tubing, cut a piece off about 1/4 wide then cut that into 1/4s. I then took the male ends off both motors and pushed and rotated them into the hole while maintaining pressure on the drip tubing with a fingernail. After a few back and forth rotations it went in and I locked the collar on then Reinstalled on both the motors. Nice and tight now!

Last edited:
Where did you get your cover made?
They came with my boat when I bought it out in Edmonto. The guy had ordered them, there is also full covers for the lower ends. He bought them from a company called tough duck marine Ltd. Don’t know where it is located. The winter cover came from campion, it is made for the 542

Attachments

• A11F9651-485C-434E-B501-43DE561C8FED.jpeg
    A11F9651-485C-434E-B501-43DE561C8FED.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Took the boat out of the garage to run the engines after adding stabilizer for the winter. My main fired up easily and ran smoothly for about 10 min before being shut down. The 9.9 Merc kicker was another story. Took way too long to get it fired up. Would only run on full choke, which led to coughing and farting ( the engine -- not me ) Finally out of desperation I slammed it into gear and closed the choke .. It quickly picked up speed and I thought I had it going. Ran it for about 5min when it started to lose revs... checked bulb and connections ... all good. Then it just quit... and would not start without going through the same issues as before. On advice from CV Marine, after they ultrasonically cleaned the carb and jet a month ago , I got a day tank of 93 octane and added Star Tron fuel stabilizer as per instructions from the shop. That was supposed to remove the negative effects of ethanol in regular gas..... So much for that .... They are closed for the winter, so I might have to pass on Xmas prawning this year. One word "Damn !"

Took the boat out of the garage to run the engines after adding stabilizer for the winter. My main fired up easily and ran smoothly for about 10 min before being shut down. The 9.9 Merc kicker was another story. Took way too long to get it fired up. Would only run on full choke, which led to coughing and farting ( the engine -- not me ) Finally out of desperation I slammed it into gear and closed the choke .. It quickly picked up speed and I thought I had it going. Ran it for about 5min when it started to lose revs... checked bulb and connections ... all good. Then it just quit... and would not start without going through the same issues as before. On advice from CV Marine, after they ultrasonically cleaned the carb and jet a month ago , I got a day tank of 93 octane and added Star Tron fuel stabilizer as per instructions from the shop. That was supposed to remove the negative effects of ethanol in regular gas..... So much for that .... They are closed for the winter, so I might have to pass on Xmas prawning this year. One word "Damn !"
On the side of your carb is an air adjustment screw, remove and blast carb cleaner. If that doesn’t work going to have to pull carb and clean. Simple process

Try Replacing the fuel filter.

On the side of your carb is an air adjustment screw, remove and blast carb cleaner. If that doesn’t work going to have to pull carb and clean. Simple process
Thanks. However, CV Marine told me they thoroughly cleaned it just a month ago with an ultrasonic "state of the art : EXPENSIVE cleaner machine . The hose and tank is new that I completely cleaned before I put new gas in it. This little kicker has only few hours on it and has not been abused. The StarTron was supposed to look after any effects from the 10% ethanol. I started using a day tank to avoid any possible contamination from my main gas tank--- But I have time to figure it out. Dont plan on doing much more than running the engines a few times this winter as I did not fog the cylinders on the off chance that I might get out early for prawns.

Thanks. However, CV Marine told me they thoroughly cleaned it just a month ago with an ultrasonic "state of the art : EXPENSIVE cleaner machine . The hose and tank is new that I completely cleaned before I put new gas in it. This little kicker has only few hours on it and has not been abused. The StarTron was supposed to look after any effects from the 10% ethanol. I started using a day tank to avoid any possible contamination from my main gas tank--- But I have time to figure it out. Dont plan on doing much more than running the engines a few times this winter as I did not fog the cylinders on the off chance that I might get out early for prawns.

One word, jets!!

Pull carb off, remove bowl, remove jets, clean holes with wire, reinstall jets, bowl then carb onto motor, fire it up!
Should be thet easy

My Merc 9.9 is grumpy in cool weather too, needs extra throttle and/or choke until warmed up. Then back to Swiss watch smooth.

Are you running ethanol laced gas ?
Hard to say. Around home I fill at a fuel distributor, that pump is labeled "marked premium", that tank also is used for deliveries to local marinas. When at our Sunshine Coast place, the marina there sells "marked mid grade". What is 'mid grade'? Does it contain ethanol? Has that changed over the years?

I usually do a carb removal and clean every 2-3 years on that kicker. The repair kits are cheap, so it gets new O rings, needle and float, new mounting gasket. New plugs with gaps set as per factory service manual; I even checked valve clearances last month. Still it's a bit grumpy in cool weather, just needs to be tended for a couple minutes to give it choke and/or extra throttle until warmed up. Then fine for rest of session. We're talking temps below 10 C here, not icy cold.

My merc 9.9 pro kicker (2019, 4-6 hours total) had a bad misfire all year. I thought it was water, fouled carb Turned out to be a bad (shorted) spark plug.
Often fine that if an engine starts misfiring under load but will idle up unloaded the Ignition system is a good place to start.
Ethanol gets a bad reputation, and maybe rightly so, but I'd bet it's responsible for less than 10% of the failures that are attributed to its' use in gasoline.
Hard to say. Around home I fill at a fuel distributor, that pump is labeled "marked premium", that tank also is used for deliveries to local marinas. When at our Sunshine Coast place, the marina there sells "marked mid grade". What is 'mid grade'? Does it contain ethanol? Has that changed over the years?

I usually do a carb removal and clean every 2-3 years on that kicker. The repair kits are cheap, so it gets new O rings, needle and float, new mounting gasket. New plugs with gaps set as per factory service manual; I even checked valve clearances last month. Still it's a bit grumpy in cool weather, just needs to be tended for a couple minutes to give it choke and/or extra throttle until warmed up. Then fine for rest of session. We're talking temps be

Worked out a steering connection for my kicker. I get full turns in both directions.Added a small piece of "starboard" to the splash well trim to make it run parallel.Very tight fit on these 208 Grady's,no room to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_9758.jpg
    IMG_9758.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9760.jpg
    IMG_9760.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Worked out a steering connection for my kicker. I get full turns in both directions.Added a small piece of "starboard" to the splash well trim to make it run parallel.Very tight fit on these 208 Grady's,no room to spare.
Looks good. Are you able to leave it connected with the kicker trimmed up?

Good work, Ray, it is always a challenge when the kicker and main are not on bolted inline to the same surface. The offset of kicker brackets makes for some inventive attachment arms.

ALMOST LOST IT! A crab trap on the dock was really wedged between the dock cleat and the piling, tide coming in finger stayed down and boat coming up(inches to spare) luckily Kyle, Vimexcharters@outlook.com was there checking out his boat ran into knee deep water and cut a line, popped up so fast he went for a little ride! The boat was just beginning to take a little water thru a submerged scupper as the flap was held openthumbnail_20221125_134324.jpg. (Time for some pig pong ball type?) into the fish well drained into the bilge glad we have a two-level pump system. I still feel sick! I would not wish this on anyone! Best Regardsthumbnail_20221125_134054.jpgthumbnail_20221125_133819.jpg

ALMOST LOST IT! A crab trap on the dock was really wedged between the dock cleat and the piling, tide coming in finger stayed down and boat coming up(inches to spare) luckily Kyle, Vimexcharters@outlook.com was there checking out his boat ran into knee deep water and cut a line, popped up so fast he went for a little ride! The boat was just beginning to take a little water thru a submerged scupper as the flap was held openView attachment 87285. (Time for some pig pong ball type?) into the fish well drained into the bilge glad we have a two-level pump system. I still feel sick! I would not wish this on anyone! Best RegardsView attachment 87286View attachment 87287
You just can’t get a break Cliff

Back