What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

After my aggressive cleaning a few backs I'm in dire need of this. Anyone ever tried those quick polish sprays?
If the gel coat is oxidized, nothing quick will work, elbow grease is what you need.I had to wet sand mine, and then cut polish to get it shinny, and oxidation was not so bad

If the gel coat is oxidized, nothing quick will work, elbow grease is what you need.I had to wet sand mine, and then cut polish to get it shinny, and oxidation was not so bad
Your tub is huge, so lots of elbow grease, I guy I know does gel coat restoration in port Kells, good price too, just a guess but 2500$ for your boat I would say, he did my buddy’s 682 for 1000$

I used the 2 3M products from Canadian Tire, 2 wool cutting pads and a borrowed older Simoniz polisher. The Compound was used on the heavy oxidized areas and then followed up with the One Step after for the wax component. I went through almost 3 containers of the One Step. I spent about $200 on materials and product and it took me 4 days at 4 hours per day as I had to work in the shade and it was hot as hell after 12 noon. It was a bit of work but the result was decent. The couple that bought my 2000 542 Campion last year spent $1400 on a cut, polish and wax and it looks as new as the day it rolled out of the Kelowna factory, a real professional job just not cheap.

Attachments

• AB04261E-E733-46C9-B8BA-FE5533C94706.jpeg
    AB04261E-E733-46C9-B8BA-FE5533C94706.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I used the 2 3M products from Canadian Tire, 2 wool cutting pads and a borrowed older Simoniz polisher. The Compound was used on the heavy oxidized areas and then followed up with the One Step after for the wax component. I went through almost 3 containers of the One Step. I spent about $200 on materials and product and it took me 4 days at 4 hours per day as I had to work in the shade and it was hot as hell after 12 noon. It was a bit of work but the result was decent. The couple that bought my 2000 542 Campion last year spent $1400 on a cut, polish and wax and it looks as new as the day it rolled out of the Kelowna factory, a real professional job just not cheap.
The 3m is pricy and a bit messy to work with, small area at the time, the megular boat cut polish is half the price and find it Easy to work with, but I wet sanded mine with 1000 grit then 3000grit then finish off with compound and wax turned out awsome, got most of the scratches off some of the deeper ones still show up close but all and all 90% better then before

Yes the 3M products are pricey, I noticed a $15 difference between Parker Marine and Canadian Tire for the same product. Did you wet sand using a machine or by hand? I may try that next season as the sides of the boat below the rub rail are heavily scratched. I notice the scratches more now that it’s polished.

Cut polishing is like gaffing. There is a technique and if you can't 'get' it , bad things happen.
I have been doing this for 30 odd years, the professional detailers will come over for a look when I am attacking our Canoe Cove 41, start to tell me why I am wrong, then come back when I am finished and ask what I am using.
Variable speed makita polisher, two 3M wool pads, one for compound one for polish.
3M Imperial cutting compound and 3M polish.
Last step is a heavy layer of liquid hard shell Turtle wax, applied with a sponge and buffed with a big cheap orbital buffer.
After the first heavy cut, you should get away with washing hull, mild cut in problem areas, polish and wax for the next 5 years.
It is tough work, but I just love the reflection off the hull when at the dock.

I am happy to put a plug in for Emile: https://www.topnotchyachts.ca/

He is not cheap, but can make just about anything look new. When he's done all you will need is a little wax every year. He had five guys on my Commander 30 for a day and a half, I would have been at it for weeks. He also did all my windows, cut polished them and then applied some super rain-x. They all still bead up and don't hold any water, huge difference. We call him the magician.

If you are going to wet sand use 1500 wet dry on an orbital. You can get these foam abrasive pads at KMS.

Yes the 3M products are pricey, I noticed a $15 difference between Parker Marine and Canadian Tire for the same product. Did you wet sand using a machine or by hand? I may try that next season as the sides of the boat below the rub rail are heavily scratched. I notice the scratches more now that it’s polished.
Variable speed orbital, both electric and air,I had never done it on a boat but have done lots of cars trucks over the years. I am just to cheap to pay shop prices when I can do it myself, might not be as good as a guy who has been doing it for decades but people did notice at the marina, for a 30 year old boat she is fine to me, would I do it on a 250k shinny pursuit he’ll no lol

Installed a Bimini because I can’t bring myself to spend big money on a custom top for this boat. I have some waterproof material and clear material that I can make a windshield and side windows at a later date.

Installed my bow fuel tank. Had to cut some holes in the boat but it is what it is. Trial run tomorrow to see how it sits with the bow tank compared to 108 litres at the stern.

Also installed a 4 blade 19 pitch prop which will be on the trial run tomorrow.

And I installed some foam padding for the gunnels. Didn’t get any pictures.

Attachments

• 20D3D904-8165-48AC-845F-C3E6781EE9AE.png
    20D3D904-8165-48AC-845F-C3E6781EE9AE.png
    3 MB · Views: 122
  • 230B7D37-5D74-48E4-B72D-BBE307980E00.png
    230B7D37-5D74-48E4-B72D-BBE307980E00.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 119
  • 3C3D8A14-A418-4A6E-9C73-91732E4FC0BC.png
    3C3D8A14-A418-4A6E-9C73-91732E4FC0BC.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Added a 6 port NMEA 2K bus to my existing 6 port bus and 4 port bus (ran out of space on the old ones) for accommodating a NMEA 2000/0183 to wifi/ethernet gateway convertor to share 0183 AIS data on the ethernet and NMEA 2000 network and also reflash any NMEA 2000 devices.

Added a 6 port NMEA 2K bus to my existing 6 port bus and 4 port bus (ran out of space on the old ones) for accommodating a NMEA 2000/0183 to wifi/ethernet gateway convertor to share 0183 AIS data on the ethernet and NMEA 2000 network and also reflash any NMEA 2000 devices.
So you are ready to help me set up my AIS connection to my Lowrance network :). Do you have it on screen now?

of course lol.
i still need to flash my heading sensor with the latest firmware so still working on the PC to NMEA 2000 setup. likely finish it on the weekend.
i still have two boxes with raspberry pi and neural net accelerators which i also need to stuff into the boat for visual traffic detection. more longer term tho. luckily i put 10 ethernet ports on the boat or i wouldve been stuffed. and another 100Ah lifepo4 to run it all. boat projects never end.

Last edited:
After purchasing a new-to-me SeaSport 22 a year ago, I’ve completely ripped it apart and replaced all the 20 year old electronics and equipment. In the spring we replaced the Volvo Penta 5.0 with a near new fuel injected 5.7. Love the new engine for cruising with the family but hate it for fishing… so I just put a deposit on a 2021 Yamaha 300 (I forgot to tell my wife and she found the receipt and was a bit shocked to say the least). I called around and not many 300 outboards left on the island! Jenkins is doing the pod and fibreglass work this fall. Huge chunk of $$ wasted on the 5.7 and even more for the yam 300 but I’m sure I’ll keep it for years…

Attachments

• 6945005D-0C6C-48B2-AD06-B5131A148933.png
    6945005D-0C6C-48B2-AD06-B5131A148933.png
    425.6 KB · Views: 39
After purchasing a new-to-me SeaSport 22 a year ago, I’ve completely ripped it apart and replaced all the 20 year old electronics and equipment. In the spring we replaced the Volvo Penta 5.0 with a near new fuel injected 5.7. Love the new engine for cruising with the family but hate it for fishing… so I just put a deposit on a 2021 Yamaha 300 (I forgot to tell my wife and she found the receipt and was a bit shocked to say the least). I called around and not many 300 outboards left on the island! Jenkins is doing the pod and fibreglass work this fall. Huge chunk of $$ wasted on the 5.7 and even more for the yam 300 but I’m sure I’ll keep it for years…
She would never notice that hanging off the back of the boat

Back