What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Got a start on my 89 hourstons interior over the weekend still have a ways to go, next step is to add the kiwi grip on the floor, seats are now back in as well, need to put some new trim pieces in, install the second battery, install the stereo, figure out a few things on the main motor, give the hull a good cut polish, and change the axle on the trailer...I’m sure I could think of a bunch more stuff I need to do still lol but hey Atleast I got a start on it.

Attachments

• A6896B93-E7AD-494B-9789-8F79C3917F6B.jpeg
    A6896B93-E7AD-494B-9789-8F79C3917F6B.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 59EBADD9-C157-4206-AE15-B59BD5A6661F.jpeg
    59EBADD9-C157-4206-AE15-B59BD5A6661F.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 163
I went with two Live units, a HDS Live9 and the HDS Live7. If i find the 7 too difficult to see I can always add an iPad. My wife and I just went to BassPro to compare the FS vs Live, she told me to get Live's, or did she say "get'a life", no matter its done! :)

For now I will just be using a P66 and C-Map with intentions to add another transducer and radar next year or after the next big budget project.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 10
I went with two Live units, a HDS Live9 and the HDS Live7. If i find the 7 too difficult to see I can always add an iPad. My wife and I just went to BassPro to compare the FS vs Live, she told me to get Live's, or did she say "get'a life", no matter its done! :)

For now I will just be using a P66 and C-Map with intentions to add another transducer and radar next year or after the next big budget project.
any pictures of what you bought? and i mean the boat

Well with the new eng scheduled for this fall , once again had to compromise once again. 4 yrs ago Istripped the top gear fill plug and even though I recoiled it, it was letting water in , so my little Bro suggested JB Weld it after the plugs in and repaint. It's a bit of a pain to carefully drummel the JB out each season, drain and refill gear case then reapply new JB and Paint but its a worked for me every year since. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE EXCEPT ME

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210412-195854_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210412-195854_Gallery.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210427_151910.jpg
    20210427_151910.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210427_160535.jpg
    20210427_160535.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210504_153959.jpg
    20210504_153959.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 155
Tried out some inexpensive knock off seadek/ultradeck for my new boat. Couldn't justify the big bucks for custom cut brand name stuff without trying it out first. It's nice underfoot. We'll see how it holds up. It was very hard to cut cleanly...I see why people pay the big bucks to get it custom cut.

Attachments

• 20210504_163650.jpg
    20210504_163650.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 170
Well with the new eng scheduled for this fall , once again had to compromise once again. 4 yrs ago Istripped the top gear fill plug and even though I recoiled it, it was letting water in , so my little Bro suggested JB Weld it after the plugs in and repaint. It's a bit of a pain to carefully drummel the JB out each season, drain and refill gear case then reapply new JB and Paint but its a worked for me every year since. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE EXCEPT ME

Nice!! Was it originally helicoiled? Why do you think the new one didn't take, just not enough material? Great thinking for sure.

Nice!! Was it originally helicoiled? Why do you think the new one didn't take, just not enough material? Great thinking for sure.
After I did the recoil , I took it out, came home and looked at the lub, there was some cream coloring, so I did the JB weld (4 yrs ago) for the first time, painted it and went out , , after the season was done , drummeled out the JB weld , took the plugs out and to my pleasant surprise the lub was like the day I put it in. Been doing it like I said for 4 years and it's been perfect so it works for me. If I was going to keep the engine longer , I probably would get a new leg but why spend the $1700 or so when I'm repowering in the fall. ;) ( but I've been dreaming of repowering for 4 years too , ever since I discovered the problem ;)) Cant take the credit it was my little Bro from Saskatchewan who mentioned it, us redneckers always find a way lol)

Last edited:
I’m interested because the dry storage marina I am waitlisted on does not have juice. I would like to keep the batteries up and intend to have a clear tarp to cover the boat when not in use.
It looks like they do Infact work under my tent. Not sure if the UV travels through the tarp or somehow getting enough through the sides but batteries are sitting at 13.2V. They were at 12.6V before plugging solar panels in.

After I did the recoil , I took it out, came home and looked at the lub, there was some cream coloring, so I did the JB weld (4 yrs ago) for the first time, painted it and went out , , after the season was done , drummeled out the JB weld , took the plugs out and to my pleasant surprise the lub was like the day I put it in. Been doing it like I said for 4 years and it's been perfect so it works for me. If I was going to keep the engine longer , I probably would get a new leg but why spend the $1700 or so when I'm repowering in the fall. ;) ( but I've been dreaming of repowering for 4 years too , ever since I discovered the problem ;)) Cant take the credit it was my little Bro from Saskatchewan who mentioned it, us redneckers always find a way lol)

Nice!! If it was me I'd probably end up with a new hole every year lol.

I love this sort of ingenuity.

It looks like they do Infact work under my tent. Not sure if the UV travels through the tarp or somehow getting enough through the sides but batteries are sitting at 13.2V. They were at 12.6V before plugging solar panels in.
I’ve also noticed a lot of the temporary moored boats in false creek have a pole with a little wind turbine on it which may be another possible way of keeping your batteries up.

Super fun day, my stupid effing vp 320gxi with 725h blew its brains out today. Zero warning no compression in #7. I've waaaay over maintained this thing, 50 h oil changes, new VP manifolds and risers every 350h....can't buy this from vp as a replacement either. I'd pod this thing today but that will mean boatless for the summer.

Oh well, made it back to the shed and no one got wet. Anyone have a favorite source for a 320hp gxi-a long block? Everything on this lump is new from starter to manifolds...all vp gear too. Cheers rant over haha

Last edited:
Auoer fun day, my stupid effing vp 320gxi with 725h blew its brains out today. Zero warning no compression in #7. I've waaaay over maintained this thing, 50 h oil changes, new VP manifolds and risers every 350h....can't buy this from vp as a replacement either. I'd pod this thing today but that will mean boatless for the summer.

Oh well, made it back to the shed and no one got wet. Anyone have a favorite source for a 320hp gxi-a long block? Everything on this lump is new from starter to manifolds...all vp gear too. Cheers rant over haha
What makes you think boatless for summer? Might be able to pull it off in a couple months

What makes you think boatless for summer? Might be able to pull it off in a couple months

Supply of the main power, logistics for pdr to build a pod, finding a suitable provider in the lower mainland to properly do the glass work, etc...its something I didn't want to do in a vacuum. But I will be giving it some serious thought before the replacement long block is ordered.

Super fun day, my stupid effing vp 320gxi with 725h blew its brains out today. Zero warning no compression in #7. I've waaaay over maintained this thing, 50 h oil changes, new VP manifolds and risers every 350h....can't buy this from vp as a replacement either. I'd pod this thing today but that will mean boatless for the summer.

pull the head off, might just be a tuliped valve, unless a rod is hanging out the block

I'm pretty sure it dropped a valve. Block is intact but it's knocking louder and louder...oil is clear, no over heat condition just some good old detonation.

Who do you like for a long block? Those Michigan Motorz guys have been around a long time and have what they claim will swap into my accessories in stock, ready to ship...

I'm taking my fury out on these chilli hot wings I just loaded into the smoker...2.5 hours from now game on.

I'm pretty sure it dropped a valve. Block is intact but it's knocking louder and louder...oil is clear, no over heat condition just some good old detonation.

Who do you like for a long block? Those Michigan Motorz guys have been around a long time and have what they claim will swap into my accessories in stock, ready to ship...

I'm taking my fury out on these chilli hot wings I just loaded into the smoker...2.5 hours from now game on.
pull the head and see what is going on in there, or a camera. it may be a easy fix

Back