What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

I've been chasing an interment loss of performance in my engine all summer. I finally noted that voltage was dropping way down to 11.2 when it would occur but the engine would still fire no problem. Had to be corrosion and I looked every where...then by peeling back the cover off the fuel pump wiring harness I discovered one of the tabs was actually cracked and losing connection. I had to actually remove the pins from the connector to find it but won in the end...BTW I couldn't find the pins anywhere and finally hit carter's gm NV, the shop foreman was super helpful and dug through tray after tray them boom, found em!

Screenshot_20230804_114249_Gallery.jpg

Just a little job, one I probably should have done a few years ago: switched out the old Hella downrigger plugs and sockets and and replaced everything with new Marinco. I had stayed away for a long time because I liked the way the Hella plugs pointed down and didn't take away any of my skinny 7 ft beam.

But the old plugs were becoming flaky l, sometimes needed a jiggle to get riggers or trap puller working. I took a more careful look, and found a location where they wouldn't intrude. Already liking the more secure connection.

I've been chasing an interment loss of performance in my engine all summer. I finally noted that voltage was dropping way down to 11.2 when it would occur but the engine would still fire no problem. Had to be corrosion and I looked every where...then by peeling back the cover off the fuel pump wiring harness I discovered one of the tabs was actually cracked and losing connection. I had to actually remove the pins from the connector to find it but won in the end...BTW I couldn't find the pins anywhere and finally hit carter's gm NV, the shop foreman was super helpful and dug through tray after tray them boom, found em!

View attachment 95715
Bad connections are such a rabbit hole. Glad you found the trouble spot. Put a nail file in your tool box for cleaning up the female contacts in plugs.

So many different ways to blow yourself to pieces with IOs hahha...during my fuel pump adventures, I had the cell off and hey what's this O ring on the fuel line, man it was almost crushed...all 4 were definitely worse for ware, volvo penta 320gxi fuel lines about which I know way more than I ever wanted to!

Screenshot_20230816_123844_Gallery.jpg

Bad connections are such a rabbit hole. Glad you found the trouble spot. Put a nail file in your tool box for cleaning up the female contacts in plugs.

In this case, it was an actual crack in the tin base behind the tabs. So the tabs were clean,but the crack was inside the harness connector.

By the way, we were up your way the past few days looking at property just south of Ok falls. I'm positive you passed me towing your boat on Sunday coming out of penticton on 97 unless there's another red f150 lightning towing a boat with downriggers around town :).

Drove from Kitimat, BC to Prince Rupert, Sask to pick up a 24' Skagit Orca XLC!

I appreciate all the people on this forum who took the time to PM and chat on the phone with me prior to the purchase. You are all awesome!

Attachments

• 20230818_142721.jpg
    20230818_142721.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 20230818_142849.jpg
    20230818_142849.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20230818_142721.jpg
    20230818_142721.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 20230818_142849.jpg
    20230818_142849.jpg