What Colour of Tail for Ling Cod Jigs

Army & Navy in New West has them sometime in that colour-stock is low now though wait until late May or give them a shout before you head over maybe Berry's too.

For Lings in shallower water I like the flood tide on an upslope-let the incoming tide push you into shallower water while tapping bottom.

Back on topic.....let's maybe talk depths and structure for lings.

The big girls spawn in the shallows in winter and are mostly deep and offshore in the summer. If I'm going to fish deep, I'd rather catch a halibut, so I don't target lings in deep water. I did get a big one trolling bottom in 225' last year and I ate it. Sorry about that. I really enjoy fishing in the foam around kelp beds and rockpiles close to where the swells are breaking, 30-80 feet mostly. Rockfish tend to survive being brought up from those depths (I hope) Barbless is good for releasing unders and other stuff. If I get a decent one I flick it in my fish box by grabbing the leader to contain the puke, measure it with my marked gaff and spill it out of the box if its too small. Obvious bigger ones get a gaff in the head and straight into the box. I prefer lead jigs with one assist hook, but will try some rubber tails this year.

Rockfish tend to survive being brought up from those depths (I hope)

Rockfish coming up from 40 feet or deeper tend not to survive, although they sometimes do swim back down (then back up sometimes). Most legal lings I catch are in 70-110 feet. I find shallower then 60 feet tends to yield just tiny juveniles. I've heard there are some monsters out close to Jordan River.

Back