What Colour of Tail for Ling Cod Jigs

whatever you say guy - whack em and stack em, amirite?

Whack em, stack em, freeze em, and eat em. It's not like many other people fish for cod... in our boat club maybe 15-20 cod come in all year from all the other boats combined. All those fish are also shared between 5 families.

What is disgusting about it? It all gets eaten. There are people that catch way more salmon... a considerably higher poundage of Halibut... We stick within our license limits (10 per year per person)... and if we start hooking into Rockfish we move to avoid unnecessary damage to their stocks. How is taking friends / family out fishing any worse then fishing guides which do the same thing every day?

Whack em, stack em, freeze em, and eat em. It's not like many other people fish for cod... in our boat club maybe 15-20 cod come in all year from all the other boats combined. All those fish are also shared between 5 families.

Which boat club?

People stopped fishing for cod because they were pounded to sh*t in the 70's & 80's, its not that nobody wants to catch them. There's a million juvinile lings around but those big lings you're catching take decades to get that big and are the main breeding stock. Its why the saanich inlet cod still hasn't rebounded, even though it hasn't seen fishing pressure for decades.

Most release the really big ones and just take the smaller ones - keeps the breeders in the water making babies.

I've never heard of anybody filling their yearly limit of lings, seems like that's the norm for your gang, maybe consider limiting your catch, not catching your limit.

big lings you're catching take decades to get that big and are the main breeding stock

The oldest Lingcod recorded is around 22-23 years old, and the average life span is around 15 years. It's not like we are catching any of the really large Lings in Victoria, our average size is only about 9-10 lbs. As for those juvenile lings they actually start breeding at around 60cm, so before they are even legal to keep.

Definitely not... I'm a web application developer, not a commercial fisher. A few of those Lings I caught in my canoe which is anything but a commercial way of doing it. I have spent some time researching Lings to target them more effectively.

So killing & eating fish is wrong now?

It's been a long cold boring winter for all of us but even longer/colder/more boring for some.

Lingcod is the new Steelhead. I guess we can always buy them in the store rather than catching and eating them ourselves, lord knows the commercial guys can use the work. What was this thread about originally?

Lingcod is the new Steelhead. I guess we can always buy them in the store rather than catching and eating them ourselves, lord knows the commercial guys can use the work. What was this thread about originally?
Um, would that be farm raised or hatchery steelhead...:)

It is if the stocks are low. I don't have any data that shows this, I'm sure someone will though. I retract my reply if someone can prove the stocks are not a concern.

The stocks used to be low. I started fishing for them in the 80s with my dad, and we'd get our limit of 9 around 5 times a year. Then around 1990 the commercials nearly wiped them out on the southern island, then they shut it down. These days though the population is booming! We had a few days when jigging on the top of constance bank for halis that we caught 60-80 undersized lings in under 2 hours (which means there are lots of breeders). Now there are certain areas where the population hasn't really come back like Saanich Inlet, but that is more due to the loss of overall foodchain over there. But even still we've done some jigging while prawning we've hooked into quite a few smaller ones.

Well this thread sure got derailed........

I prefer the white ones :)

Anybody know where to buy the Red 5" scampi tails?? I tried Pacific Net and Twine,but just the usual rootbeers, oil slicks etc. Back on topic.....let's maybe talk depths and structure for lings. Thanks for the responses fellas

Many sizes and colours of the scampi tails are manufactured under the brand name of "Kalin's " ,and are on-line , the bigger the bag you buy the cheaper they get . Try the white glow ones . i hope this is helpful .

Back