What Colour of Tail for Ling Cod Jigs

lucky strikes

Hey Guys, I was wondering If I could Pick your brains about Lingcod Fishing.

I Have been making these 8oz jigs, using old roofing vent lead flashings, and I would like to know what colour of tails do guys like to use, or have the most success with??

Also some of the rubber tails have just one tail, and others split off in the back to create two tails

A) What are these trying to mimick??
b) Which ones work best??
c) colours??

Thanks Fellas

Attachments

• Lure.jpg
    Lure.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 961
Others may have more opinions but given how aggressive/territorial lings can be I don't think you can go wrong with any colour be they single or double tails. Let your jig bounce bottom and if they're around in my experience they'll come to check it out. I have always equated lings to Northern Pike....long, slenderish bodies, ugly heads, lots of teeth and seem to aggressively hit all sorts of lures. ;)

Given that I have caught lings on all sorts of colours of buzz bombs, jigs, hoochies, teaser heads etc I wouldn't be too concerned. I have one of the "cod jigs" that is basically just a silver long narrow jig with NO colour on it and it has caught it's fair share of lings.

I have some jigs like in your picture and outfitted them with pink dual tails and they've worked just fine. Only thing about the tails is the first ones I bought were sort of a translucent and they "may" have been scented; threw them in the bottom of my tackle kit and they quite literally fused to a flasher that was in the bottom. I have no idea if it was just because they were lousy quality, scented or what but one of my favourite flashers now looks like it has been slimed. :p

I forget to addition, all the cribs are scents to use fishing for halibut, cod, or bottom fish are working great.

The further north you go on the coast the better that Glo/White works and that's my go to colour.

Occasionally you'll find them in shallower water feeding on Crab larvae then Red is killer.

Have to agree with Dogbreath. Those larger white Berkley glow baits are great.

In reference to the tails I mentioned earlier....they had almost a tacky texture to them and were sort of translucent. They really become a mess as the tails end up sticking to themselves and the body. The ones I bought were basically used once and then binned.

Last year we caught over 40 legal lings around Victoria using either White or Brown tails. Biggest was 35Lbs, and 5 were 25+ lbs.

Glow , white for anything 150'+ , anything shallower orange and browns seem to work for me. Another side note is that in deeper water I've found that bigger is Always better for the big buckets. Love fishing these nasty beasts.

Dark Green with red flecks...called Oil Slick I believe, also the bright red have worked well for me in Georgia Strait.

I agree Poppa, especially around Victoria/ Oak Bay. Also good to remember every Ling over 15lbs is a female and we need those fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically if it moves down there something will eat it ! For us we are having huge success with 5 inch scampi lures , glow in the dark 105l-016 on the same lead jig you are using , another hint would be to put a small tie wrap just behind the lead head this will help hold it in place better on the hook shank , and don't be afraid to juice em up with any of the scents. they really do get chewed up a lot by everything down there including halibut . The lures are a little hard to find on-line , i buy mine in bags of 50 at a time they are far cheaper that way , it is the lead heads in 6 or 8 oz that are hard to find that are reasonably priced . Just trying to be helpful .

Jeasus - take it easy pal, that's why there's barely any lings left in most areas.

I agreed....it s very exciting to hook and keep a large ling..but feeling guilty to see not many out in the sea.

I hate to say that.....DFO may take actions to shut down the bottomfishing in coming years to save old lings by establish more RCAs.

We also tend to target them where most people wouldn't bother traditionally fishing for Lings closer to the shorelines in 70-110 feet of water.

Back