What are your favorite sounder features?

Libbs

Hey guys. I'm trying to decide on what to get for a new chart/sounder combo. The basic features needed are obvious, but I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks this time to have a bit more than just a basic sonar with depth and water temp.

What extra features do you use on a regular basis for saltwater fishing? For example, is side imaging a tool you would use to find a school of sockeye? Are StructureScan or DownScan Imaging by Lowrance at all useful? And does a 1kw transducer make any difference if you only care about 300' of water at the deepest?

All I have used so far is a little Humminbird Piranhamax 150, so I'm looking forward to upgrading. I just need to hear what features serve best out here.

3d structure on my garmin is great for anchoring...

Agreed. I have Garmin 720's as well. The 3 D feature is great for navigating thru tight channels and close to shore. I also like the navigation charts which have good color definition to differentiate between safe and shallow depths. It keeps you out of trouble in areas you may not be familiar with. The 720 can be hooked up to radar/ais as well.

you need to answer the first question: are you going to integrate a new unit into an existing network of devices or are you ok with a standalone device that does some simple jobs very well?

Thanks guys...keep it comin.

@reelfast: not likely gonna have a network of devices. Stand-alone for the foreseeable future anyway.

Anyone have use for any of the Scan technologies out on the salt?

Just a personal choice, but I run a depth sounder separate from my chart plotter.
Knowing that electronics have a life span, I want to make sure that at least one of the two is working
at all times.

Yes i do this also.. 12" up front for nav.. 8" at the back for sounder/finder

get the best possible ducer you can afford/fit, the pre boxed are ok but the 1k are the cats @zz,
I have the lowrance HDS touch and as far as down scan and side imaging, it is handy to see what exactly is under you rather then just a blob on the screen and side imaging
can tell you if your on the fish or 100' off them, it works best at 200' or less but I do know it has worked in 400+ feet which is generally unheard of,
anyone that wants to disagree with that should see the hours of deep footage Mike at the harbour Chandler has

Last edited by a moderator:
I use structure scan on the Fraser regularly, but almost never in the chuck. I did notice a big difference in sonar quality when I switched to a P66 transducer.

Lowrance HDS-12 with structure scan and radar image over your chart feature...it is sweet...or as my kids would say, it is "sick." Easy to run, touch screen. There are more features than a barrel of monkeys. One thing I would say is don't expect the structure scan to be useful in anything deeper than 80 feet. The most useful feature/use of structure scan is the side scanning ability - I use it fishing Barkley Sound to locate fish off to either side and bait. I have actually driven past a fish, seen them on the side scan and then turned the boat around and caught those fish. So in some applications it is highly useful and does increase your production.

Not sure what unit your thinking of but just incase. The lowerance 5 dsi will not work in saltwater past 100-150ft I was told by lowerace and not the sales guy at the store. Its great for fresh shallow. You cant upgrade the transducer as its all one unit. I think it needs to be a gen 2 ...cant remeber Harbor Chandler knows there stuff about it and has good prices. Also check out the hds 5 gen 2 west marine has on sale thursday. I think may be able to buy the box/chip/dsi thing for it for 500 bucks... looked into awhile ago cant quite remember the deal.

gps with charts ?

this subject may have been covered on previous threads......... But my question is this who would you recommend in the NANIMO AREA OR DUNCAN that is the most knowlageable on these systems??? thanx in advance for any imput ....Cheers C.A.

gotta agree, the fancy stuff is fun but its really not going to put more fish in the boat.

I agree but what I am interested in is navigating in the fog. I fish sooke a lot in the summer and I have a gps I have never been to a course on them and have made it in using way points but I find it confusing at times and I wonder whether a more expensive unit which incorperates the use of a chart would be easier .. so far at canadian tire stores I havent found any one that knows much about these.....any suggestions ????

To navigate in the fog you need radar. It is the only thing that see in the dark so to speak. GPS on a charts will let you know were the land and rocks are in theory......

I agree but what I am interested in is navigating in the fog. I fish sooke a lot in the summer and I have a gps I have never been to a course on them and have made it in using way points but I find it confusing at times and I wonder whether a more expensive unit which incorperates the use of a chart would be easier .. so far at canadian tire stores I havent found any one that knows much about these.....any suggestions ????

oh ya of course a chartplotter is waaaay more useful then a GPS. A chartplotter WILL help you catch more fish, but that's a chartplotter not a sounder - but I guess you're talking about combo units. Any decent combo unit will give you an effective sounder and chartplotter, IMO structure scan, side scan isn't going to hook ya more fish.

this subject may have been covered on previous threads......... But my question is this who would you recommend in the NANIMO AREA OR DUNCAN that is the most knowlageable on these systems??? thanx in advance for any imput ....Cheers C.A.

Moose at The Harbour Chandler, Nanaimo. 250-753-2425.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back