What 14 to 16 foot Aluminum Boat would you buy and why.

http://www.lifetimer.bc.ca/14' Skiff Models.htm

The above is a good welded local one for just over 6K (hull only new) -

Darcy Kallehan also has a few smaller aluminums around used that may be of interest. Some of the older 16' used Eagle Craft tiller lodge models might be still available too but even used 5K is going to be a tough budget to stick to.

http://www.duroboat.com/boats-details.php?modelClass=16

These Duraboats above are neither riveted nor welded and are lightweight . They use a joint system and I must say they seem quite decent. I used to visit a buddy on Savary Island and this boat caught on to the point the beach became full of them. Due to their lightweight they needed less horse power and could be towed by a smaller vehicle. They were a good ride in decent weather but like any boat that's lightweight the drawback is in heavier choppy seas they won't have as comfortable ride. Made in Washington state as I recall- edit: unfortunately the've moved operation from Seattle (27 years) to Tennessee now.

To put budget into perspective if you must go new and 5K budget ....MAYBE a 12' riveted with a 6hp and trailer would be possible but your going to have to increase your budget tons if you want a new 16' pkge ....and trailer!! No matter what the hull is made of!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lifetimer's are nice but on a 5K budget..... I was faced with the same problem when I was looking.

The one I was really on the hunt for was a Cope. In one year I found two for sale. One was a beater and the other was overpriced.

I was dead against riveted boats because I have an old leaky Springbok but this Lund I bought has been great and exceeded my expectations.

When I was looking, I found a few Lunds for sale in the Fraser valley. For 5K you were getting a newer boat, 25 a 30 HP 4 stroke power, trailer and often some other accessories and goodies thrown in. Good value IMO.

I wouldn't discount them. Just my two bits.

There's one in Port Angeles. Not a Lifetimer, but a 16' Welded plate skiff - $2200 (Port Angeles). Craigslist.

Kildonan has it right.. Those Copes sure look nice... There are a group of guys in Renfrew. The cutplug gang !! They fish out of 16-17 ft tiller style boat. Don't know who makes them. Thinking Northwest but not sure. On days when we are pounding through the big swell so are they.. They are just going to Camper or Logan but they cut through and look very stable. Again they look pricey but a very nice set-up..

My advice would be to have patience... there are a lot of welded boats on this coast and they all come up for sale eventually. I was looking for exactly the same thing and very nearly bought a nice condition 16' lund with an barely used yahama 40 and a little new 4 stroke kicker for $7500. In the end I backed out on that and ended up getting a 16' Kellahan (not pretty but solid) for $6300 with an older 4 stroke 40 merc on it and a great trailer. I have since repowered with a camp return 50.

I am super glad I did not end up with the lund as the heavy welded Kellahan with almost a 7' beam is a lot more boat. My buddy has a 16' duroboat and while it is definitely a nice light boat you know that you are in a 'tinny.' Also key in a boat that size is having a splash well at the stern so waves that come over the stern don't come strait in....

Kits launch.jpg Check this web site out and you will find the Model (advantage s ) 15.2' Klamath welded aluminum ,this model comes with side steering console , i bought mine here for 1,700 boat and trailer and project boated it , I've seen a lot of good deals in the states , for it's size very sea worthy

http://www.klamathboats.com/boatPages/utility/

Looks like We are getting a 14.6 ft lund with a new 20hp 4 stroke merc, electric start, battery and trailer, all new with some accessories for a good price. Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.

Our rotary club raffles off a starcraft kodiak. thier a little light welded aluminum but the boat looks well made and solid. we chose a 16' kodiak side console but i would get the model up for any ocean boating.

We wanted all new stuff and this is what we got.Went up to L.A.Marine in Port Alberni and bought a 14.6 2012 WC 14 Lund with an electric start merc 20hp 4 stroke on an e zee load galvanized trailer. Came with battery, battery box,front trailer wheel. 5 gallon fuel tank, nice Carver boat cover, 7 ft oars and hardware. The transom is 20" and the beam is 5' 9". We got the deal for 6995$. Picked up a garmin fish finder on the way home. Looking forward to getting back on the water after about 6 yrs off of fishing. We decided to go new as.retirement is not too many years off and this boat will last us a very long time. Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I highly recommend the L.A. Marine if you are in the market for a boat. Colyn and Paul were very professional and made us feel right at home. Thanks guys, great customer service. Well worth the road trip from Victoria.

Hello ReelTime
Just wanted to say thank you for the best picture I have of the advantage 15 S on this tablet.
We are looking to purchase a 47 foot trawler which has a 13 foot caribe rib on it for a tender. Well that is not going to work and over about a month I have been looking at all the 12 to 16 foot boats I could find. With a 1100 lb max boom it limits things. Then we found the wide bodies and west coasters which brought us to the 15 advantage S and the fishermans top is too perfect.

So I was wondering if you would be ok with me pm'ing you with some questions about the boat ?
Thank You for the picture once again
Jim

Hello ReelTime
Just wanted to say thank you for the best picture I have of the advantage 15 S on this tablet.
We are looking to purchase a 47 foot trawler which has a 13 foot caribe rib on it for a tender. Well that is not going to work and over about a month I have been looking at all the 12 to 16 foot boats I could find. With a 1100 lb max boom it limits things. Then we found the wide bodies and west coasters which brought us to the 15 advantage S and the fishermans top is too perfect.

So I was wondering if you would be ok with me pm'ing you with some questions about the boat ?
Jim
Wrong post. sorry

Hey , Fish Catcher Jim pm anytime .

Cheers

Hello ReelTime

Jim

Back