Were to get my salmon smoked (campbell river and area)

warweed

I have about 250lbs worth of pinks sitting in the freezer and am a sucker for both hot and cold smoked and candied salmon that said im also a sucker for canned salmon Im new to CR and don't know my way around what kind of prices can i expect ?

wont lie I don't have a bunch of money so im looking for some were fairly cheap and some were that i don't have to wait 6 months for my fish back

thoughts ?

any locals you might recommend that do it on the side to ? I know i could do it myself but I don't have the time any more to be honest

I have about 250lbs worth of pinks sitting in the freezer and am a sucker for both hot and cold smoked and candied salmon that said im also a sucker for canned salmon Im new to CR and don't know my way around what kind of prices can i expect ?

wont lie I don't have a bunch of money so im looking for some were fairly cheap and some were that i don't have to wait 6 months for my fish back

thoughts ?

any locals you might recommend that do it on the side to ? I know i could do it myself but I don't have the time any more to be honest

Cheapest option is to buy a smoker and get to work. That's what us regular folk do. You know it's your own fish if you do it yourself. Drop it off at a smoke house and expect to pay $5 a lb and who knows if the fish you get back is yours. good luck.

I used fluers smokery and regular was $3 puond and candied was $5 pound, got my fish back in a week.I vacume packed myself. Other shops you wait months for it. With that much fish you can get a big chief smoker for $125 and start having fun.

Drop it off at a smoke house and expect to pay $5 a lb and who knows if the fish you get back is yours.

Could cost $750-1000, yikes. However, dropping off 250 pounds of pink salmon and discovering you have a few pieces of somebody else's candied spring or coho is not such a bad thing is it? ;-)

problem is i Know nothing about smoking at all hell i didn't even you you brined it up until the other day lol I just don't want to wreck my delicious fish I know alot of you come up with your own recipes and such but is there any places you recommend to learning about smoking salmon ?

and aren't things like maintaining a certain temp and such really important to smoking ?

thanks for the help :)

-James

problem is i Know nothing about smoking at all hell i didn't even you you brined it up until the other day lol I just don't want to wreck my delicious fish I know alot of you come up with your own recipes and such but is there any places you recommend to learning about smoking salmon ?

and aren't things like maintaining a certain temp and such really important to smoking ?

thanks for the help :)

-James

James. I just started smoking this year and was worried I would mess it up but it's jot that hard. Buy a Bradley and you don't even need to be around to feed more chips into it. Every 20 min it drops a new puck.

Prepping fish.
I find leaving skin on is better. Cut tail section off. 5" roughly. Cut the thin belly meat into strip. Cut the thicker slab into 3-4 pieces.

Brine.
4 parts Demerara brown sugar 1 part course salt
Rub generously over all pieces, place in tub and put in fridge 12-24 hours. Longer brine more flavor.

Drying.
You can rinse in cold water and place on racks and blow with fan for 1-3 hours. Try to keep same thickness pieces to a rack.

Smoking.
I just smoke for 4 hours with low heat 150-170. Alder or apple I prefer. Rotate racks after 2 hours. Then heat only for last hour or two depending on how dry moist you want em. Remove thin stuff early.

Let cool and vacuum bag or freezer ziplocks and suck air out.

Smoking ain't Rocket Science. Lots of good recipies and instruction sites to choose from.
Dave

rocketsurgery-434.jpg

I appreciate all the insight and feed back i think I shall go ahead get a smoker but i want some now so i think im going to take about 100 lbs down to campbell river seafood 1.45 /lbs to smoke for hot :D

Bradley smokers are the best for sure. If you are on a budget though, you can try a True North smoker for 1/3 the price. I have the True North and love it. My Dad has a Bradley and he also loves his!

Back