Weatherproof connectors

Matt16

Found this, will strip wires back a few inches and replace with another connector. Got suggestions for weatherproof connectors?

20210425_134207.jpg

Spray connectors and terminals with Fluid Film. It works!

Hey Matt, Weatherpack connectors can be purchased at heavy truck repair shops however they will require the use of the terminal pins that slide into the hard plastic. These require a special ratcheting crimper, What you may want to find is a "Pigtail" type connector with lengths of wires already ready to be spliced. I guess another option would be a junction block if you have the room and lots of dielectric grease/fluid film to keep things from corroding.

I think I know the answer already but is anyone using Boshield on electrical connectors to battle back the corrosion?

jimh, the moderator of his whaler forum, is a quirky engineer type, but knows his electrical stuff.

That was interesting. Case in point the circular connector for my 9.9 yamaha has a junk load of dielectric grease inside on the male/ female connectors. The connectors have zero corrosion and after 5 years in the chuck. Seems boshield is a viable option too, can't hurt. Thx

You can buy liquid heat shrink that brushes on. Good luck with the wires; unless they are marine grade tinned wire the wire will be too corroded to make a proper connection; even tinned wire will get corroded. A solution of vinegar will remove the corrosion followed by a solution of baking soda to neutralize the vinegar.

The big problem is electrolysis
The connectors rarely fail, its the crimp from the wire to the pin as shown in your picture that fails.
A proper crimp mechanically welds/fuses the wire to the terminal.
The proper crimping tool and care to do right is more important than the connector IMO

The big problem is electrolysis
The connectors rarely fail, its the crimp from the wire to the pin as shown in your picture that fails.
A proper crimp mechanically welds/fuses the wire to the terminal.
The proper crimping tool and care to do right is more important than the connector IMO
You can also clear silicone all the wires where they enter the back of the connector and that will help water tight them even more

jimh, the moderator of his whaler forum, is a quirky engineer type, but knows his electrical stuff.
Jimh is a regular poster on the Etec Owners Group forum, and yes, "quirky engineer type" is a good descriptor. My guess from the nature of his writing is that he comes from the academia corner of the engineering world. But the quality of content is excellent. I've read the post referenced several times and follow its recommended practices. Dielectric grease is for sealing connector shields, not on the contacts themselves.

Fixed the issue by removing the corroded connector, stripping back the wires and replacing the corroded connector with a AMP Tyco waterproof connector. Everything works now, including an interior light that hasn't worked in a year. Better build than factory now. Back from a test run across the SoG.

Attachments

• 20210501_142001.jpg
    20210501_142001.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210501_171853.jpg
    20210501_171853.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Should be noted that on a Trophy accessories wiring harness, there are two identical grey wires in the same harness (thanks Bayliner!). One controls the anchor light, the other controls the running lights, don't mix them up.

Back