Weather conditions vs wave height

Good post ziggy. And tide against the wind, too
Absolutely, as well as outflow water from large rivers . Crossing the Columbia River bar can be quite an experience even in a large vessel. Pretty much the combination of shallow water, current from the river and swells and sea opposing it from seaward. Also you are crossing from salt to fresh water. Never a dull moment.

All of the above plus.......... freighter waves can be considerable if you are close to the shipping lanes. Had an elderly person hurt on my boat this past year. Bonked her chin on the rail. Wasn,t holding on when I called out "hold on". Wind + opposing current + freighters waves can be surprising. When you see freighters low in the water, clipping along and turning away watch out.

Good points on the addition of river mouths and large ship wake as factors in the equations related to localized wave height and sea states.

All of the above plus.......... freighter waves can be considerable if you are close to the shipping lanes. Had an elderly person hurt on my boat this past year. Bonked her chin on the rail. Wasn,t holding on when I called out "hold on". Wind + opposing current + freighters waves can be surprising. When you see freighters low in the water, clipping along and turning away watch out.
That's half of what can turn Sand Heads from a cake walk to a **** show. How many times did I come back in there on an outgoing tide, in a westerly wind, hit the river flow, over the sand bars...and then run into wakes off car carriers or oceangoing tugs? Man, too many. That place can check practically every box for a washing machine experience. You get out there on a calm day and it's a lake; you come in at the wrong time and what a mess.

Back