WCFC North Island Lodge Closes

If people arnt there to fish it then what happens to it.

Well, Rec sector would have 20-25,000 more lbs of halibut quota in the bank (600 x 35 lbs or so on avg I think is fair). Not to mention wcr shutting down so same from that. Remember it’s not regional quotas for rec sector from my understanding so it will be there for rest of public fishery to fish.

Last edited:
Well, Rec sector would have 20-30,000 more lbs of halibut quota in the bank. Remember it’s not regional quotas for rec sector from my understanding so it will be there for rest of public fishery to fish.

We didn't fish our quota on wcvi this year and the trollers got 5k more because of it. Chinook managed by quota in some areas.

If we fish less up Thoes goes that mean area f gets more?

Last edited:
Im not involved in management or accounting so I cant say for sure, but I would suspect that the fact NIL isnt operating this year is due to the lease issues and has nothing to do with turning a profit.

As I understand it, nobodys getting super rich operating these lodges, but you have to assume the majority would break even at worst, otherwise there wouldnt be many. I presume the WCFC lodges turn a small profit, but the overhead and logistics of operating out in the middle of nowhere are complicated and pricy. One of the late owners at WCFC (who tragically passed last winter) was very passionate about salmon enhancement initiatives and it shows in how our lodges operate.

As a side note, fishing was unbelievable this season right from the jump until the commercial opening on august 20th. With the late start to the commercial season, and no west side boundary this year, the trollers cleaned out the whole coastline in a weeks time.

Im not involved in management or accounting so I cant say for sure, but I would suspect that the fact NIL isnt operating this year is due to the lease issues and has nothing to do with turning a profit.
I have an easy time believing this.

With the Haida ditching WCR looks like they either do not want and/or do not see a future in sports fishing in this area.

IMO the current Chinook harvest methods/levels in SEAK/ Area 1 are unsustainable, so if you have a long-range vision of let's say 10+ years out have a lodge here doesn't make economic sense.

Really sad to see these places closing down after 30 years.
It's a just another sign of the trouble we face sport fishing for salmon.

My money would be on a Haida lodge opening.
Don't think so they already released something saying that they don't see a future in sports fishing and are switching to eco tourism.

HAIDA TOURISM DISCONTINUING SPORTFISHING OPERATIONS

http://westcoastresorts.com/connect/haida-tourism-discontinuing-sportfishing-operations/

One would think they’d shut down competition as leases expire and they not renew but as CE said I think they honestly have no desire for any sport fishing lodges up there.
I don’t get it given the amount of employment opportunities it offers to the locals though. I know when it went to a vote on their council it was a pretty unanimous no all around the table.

I am a potential buyer of North Island Lodge. Any information about it's condition and suitability to continue to function as a fishing lodge would be greatly appreciated. My name is Steve Daniels, I own the Highliner Lodge in SE Alaska and I can be reached at 907 738 1606 or steve@highlinerlodge.com

I am a potential buyer of North Island Lodge. Any information about it's condition and suitability to continue to function as a fishing lodge would be greatly appreciated. My name is Steve Daniels, I own the Highliner Lodge in SE Alaska and I can be reached at 907 738 1606 or steve@highlinerlodge.com
It’s a nice accommodation not sure on condition I think the only reason there selling is the lease ran out

Its true that the Haida didnt want to renew the lease. Last time I was on the barge/lodge it was during their last active season and everything was in good condition as far as I could tell. Since its been sitting for a while in Vancouver now I would assume at minimum it needs some lipstick and a little tlc.

Todd is a pretty honest guy and if there are any issues with the barge I feel like he'd be upfront about them.

The way provincial foreshore leases work now is if the lease is in native territory (which all or almost all are) , the band, or bands have a say in if they are renewed, or if they can be transferred. You can now not renew the foreshore lease or sell an operation with a foreshore lease without their input. All floating lodges are on foreshore leases, and so are the docks for most land based operations.

Will a guy still be able to haul his own rig up there and fish?

For now yes, they are claiming the land, sea, seafloor and air.
Judge says it is a very complex case never heard before in Canada.
Mine.

Back