WAY offshore safety

sorry- Satelite communication, no towers or repeaters.

DAK had a sat phone out there and they are pretty cool. I emailed him a couple of times and he got right back to me. The emailing feature is free apparently so for social contact that is the way to go. Pretty nice getting current info from a crew already way out there.

Regardless of engine choice or choices, here is what I would consider appropriate safety equipment for 30 miles + offshore;

1. Reliable electronics wiring and battery/charging system
2. DSC VHR radio with 8 Db antennae at least 10 feet off the water.
3. GPS Chart plotter
4. Radar and suitable radar reflector
5. Exposure suits for every person on board
6. EPIRB or PLB
7. Auto-deploying liferaft
8. MMSI (Marine Mobile Service Identity) registration
9. The obvious and required DOT/CCG flares, lifejackets, and required safety equipment, blah, blah,blah

buy a globalstar. 500$ and 40$ per month unlimited use. had one for years and it comes in very handy. the service is intermitent but it is still awesome out there

buy a globalstar. 500$ and 40$ per month unlimited use. had one for years and it comes in very handy. the service is intermitent but it is still awesome out there

5 years ago I switched to an Irridium phone because I couldn't stand the ****** Globalstar reception anymore. Years ago Globalstar was great but gradually went downhill. How intermitant is the service now? Wow 40 bucks a month unlimited now? That is so cheap compared to what it used to be

The reception is way better than it used to be. Go to their website and scheck out the call time tool. It asks for your location then gives you a timesheet of when you will have service for the next five days. Its very handy.

About needing radar... The Standard Horizon 2150 vhf has an AIS receiver in it. It places the AIS target onto your chartplotter relative to your location. You can set it with a prox alarm at several radius. It has worked like a radar sys for me all summer and there is no need to interpret the radar reflections.
just my 2 bits

Wow Mighty Sylvan, looks like our discussion on the patio Friday turned into a thread with lots of good info.
Yeah sorry about the thread hi-jack there guys. Now back to the topic at hand;

Mighty Sylvan;

As an FYI, there are a couple of decent on-line army surplus companies in the states that sell used exposure (gumby) suits for around $100 each. In addition, Lummi Fish Supply sometimes has a sale on the Stearns gumby exposure suits (new) for about $225 each. I bought one of each and had them delivered to a parcel pick up in Blaine. Usually Canadian customs is pretty good about not charging duty on safety equipemnt under a couple of hundred dollars so you then also gain the advantage of no HST.

Mighty Sylvan;

As an FYI, there are a couple of decent on-line army surplus companies in the states that sell used exposure (gumby) suits for around $100 each. In addition, Lummi Fish Supply sometimes has a sale on the Stearns gumby exposure suits (new) for about $225 each. I bought one of each and had them delivered to a parcel pick up in Blaine. Usually Canadian customs is pretty good about not charging duty on safety equipemnt under a couple of hundred dollars so you then also gain the advantage of no HST.

What is the difference in the Type 'S' and 'C' suits? certification?

Mighty Sylvan;

I'll google it.

Back