Wanted light and strong jigging rod and avet sx5

kaelc

Looking for a very light and strong jigging rod. Solid or 2 piece is fine. Looking for something fairly firm for slow pitch jigging.

Also looking for a light reel 12-15oz like an Avet SX5 or similar, something I can put a lot of 30-50lb braid on.

I’d like it before my trip next week, so either something in Victoria, Nanaimo or Port Alberni before I hit the west coast. Thanks!!
C574CDDA-7BFF-4486-9388-C89A98F48BEE.jpeg

I’m assuming salmon?
I’ve been using a medium Trevela / bait casting reel. Have an sx I’ve used on it, but prefer the one handed operation of the bait caster on the drops / hook sets.
Last I saw PNT had mediums left.

If your after a rod for halibut/cod the Trevala works great.I find their too short for jigging salmon which I do a lot of.I prefer a 9-10 Ft. rod for salmon.

If your after a rod for halibut/cod the Trevala works great.I find their too short for jigging salmon which I do a lot of.I prefer a 9-10 Ft. rod for salmon.
I agree I prefer a longer rod for specifically targeting salmon on the jig. The Trevala has proven to be a good do it all rod for me. When using it on salmon I find myself doing less “ jigging “ and more quick drops / retrievals on top of or below the bait.
Very fun rod for lings using 6oz swimmers no issue on the medium. Handled a few 40” lings without an issue. I’d maybe look at a medium heavy if your going bottom specific or deeper then 100’ waters.

You need one of these Kael:

Trevala S matched with an Avet SXJ reel. 30 lb power pro

Harbour Chandler used to sell this as a package. Super light and really fun.

I picked up a Temple Reef 2.0 last year from Charkbait, pairing it with my old AVET SX Raptor, unfortunately I haven’t had the opportunity to try it out yet, but it looks and feels nice.

Thanks, 7 foot rod maybe what I’ll need. Want to use it on the dingy as well so maybe a 6.
The Temple Reef 2.0 that I picked up is 6’9”, didn’t want a longer one as I also do most of my fishing from a smaller inflatable, when I actually do some real fishing rather than google earth fishing that is.

Power pro depth hunter line is nice whatever reel you choose,it's coloured every 15 Ft. or so and if you find fish mid water you can put your gear down to the same color again, or buy a line counter reel.

I've seen some Fathom 25N and 15's single speed lever drags online for decent prices....bearings don't blow out nearly as fast as Avet's.
Barry's Bait had some great new additions for jigging rods last week when I popped in.

A couple years back @Waterwolf2230 posted a nice intro to jigging on the forum here: https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-tech-jigging.66606/

I was in Black Creek a couple weeks ago, so it only made sense to drop by Pacific Playgrounds and pick up Trevala. Worth a check if you're in the area, they had quite a few Shimano Jiggs (butterly, monarch, and others).

Picked up a medium for salmon and ling, could handle a halibut in a pinch. Those SX5 don't have a tonne of drag if it's mainly a halibut setup. EDIT: actually the SX5 has a decent amount of drag now, the early models not so much.

I've seen some Fathom 25N and 15's single speed lever drags online for decent prices....bearings don't blow out nearly as fast as Avet's.
Barry's Bait had some great new additions for jigging rods last week when I popped in.
X2 on the Avets

Back