Wanted: Advice/Boat choice

froek

Hi all,

First off, you guys provide so much awesome information. It's great to have a forum like this one.

Now to business. I've been looking to acquire a boat for a long time, just never pulled the trigger on anything that fits the bill. Requirements:

• 17'-19'
  • Cruising with family of 4 (small children)
  • Fishing/crabbing nearshore with the boys (2-3 guys)
  • something that's not going to give me much trouble

I like:
  • Thunderjets (because of space and high walls, no falling out!)
  • Double Eagles (popularity, they're everywhere)
  • Trophys/Stripers (I like the look)
  • Safety first

I've been out fishing in a 18.5' Double Eagle, 26' Grady, 28' Bayliner, 19' Arima.

Problems - DE's can get old and rotten, anything larger than 21' is huge (I want to trailer it), and I don't want to spend too much on old stuff. 10-15k is all I really wanna go after if it's going to be older. I'm fine with minor engine maintenance (oil, winterizing, wiring, and some misc DIY), but I don't want numerous trips per year to the mechanic on an old fart that's beyond my expertise, or worst case buy something that the transom or foam is destroyed because I went too cheap.

If i go new, I'd lease and 30-40k is around the budget. I thought about a new bayliner 185/190 and fit it for downriggers and canopy, but I'm not sure how well that would work for casual fishing/crabbing without destroying the inside (blood, fabric tears, etc). I know it'd be an awesome transition into a lake boat or near shore cruiser. It just wouldn't have the function of say a Double Eagle, Arima or Aluminum fishing boat (the family wants to enjoy the boat too, they don't want to go fishing). I like the idea of aluminum for obvious long life reasons.

Some extremes here I know.. but I need some help from the community. Any advice goes a long way. I'd rather have a boat that we all can enjoy, but I can take out on some weekends with a buddy (or by myself) and drop a trap and a line for a few hours.

Recommendations?

One other thing to consider... if you get aluminum boat with a walk through windshield (T-Jet, North River , Hewes, Alumaweld etc) you can give the kids a shore break or go gathering shellfish etc. Cant do that with a glassboat unless you want to be reglassing the keel every few years. PLUS--(and BIG plus if you are a busy person) .. you dont have to scrub and polish gelcoat! Just hose the boat down, flush the gear and motor and you are done.

I would look for a good used metal boat with low hours and well taken care of. I would buy slightly bigger then u think u need. Also get a big motor 150hp and up I like the 150 for the 20 welded boat seems to be just right. Also go with a bracket or ET model. 30-40k will not buy a lot for a new metal boat but you can find a nice used one for that amount

I just sold a campion 622 I/o which is similar to a trophy /striper and bought myself a 21 thunderjet offshore with a 225 suzuki. So far I like the thunderjet way more than the walkaround. It is less work and maintanance and easier to tow. It's also better on fuel and has more usable space. For cruising and crabbing etc you can't beat metal. Being able to beach a boat is awesome. It will ride rougher though so keep that in mind.

for the the same price, I'd get a striper over a double eagle and I own a double eagle

If your thinking of family boat get a boat with cuddy, and at least ability to have washroom facilities in it... I have a Malibu 185 and it is cross between family boat and fishing boat.... And the hull of a double eagle... Don't go less than 18 feet. The great thing on cuddies is if kids are board they can always take a snooze/or play whatever.

For 10-15k your not going to get much if you want a striper. You would have to go to the states. Same goes for arima there overpriced for what you get. You can get a tiny one but if you want larger one with cabin and everything there nearly double that...

My buddy got a 18 foot trophy with older motor and that was about 12k...

I have owned a walk around and wouldn't recommend them in this size range. The take up so much cabin space with having alley on the outside of your boat. Fishing in the pacific northwest walk around are really not needed.

I have a trophy 1802, very happy with it, easy to trailer by myself, and has a cuddy up front for the kids. Picked mine up in the US for a decent price.

Here's a good local starter boat priced in your range,good reliable power as well.

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/16ft-Double-Eagle_22810533

That's great boat I miss mine... But its great for two...and limited in weather/ no cuddy area up front/washroom.... But for that power you won't be screwing around ....reliable engines. I will always love these boats but you find space being an issue. Like trying to do a halibut combo/salmon trip with three/four people. Great fun. Anyone who has been on my boat on this forum know what I am talking about. That being said some times bigger isn't better ...My little boat was little trouble.

You're right, they are only good for 2 adults, if kid's are small its doable.
I would gun the driver side sleeper and put in a pedestal which would help a little.

If your thinking of family boat get a boat with cuddy, and at least ability to have washroom facilities in it... I have a Malibu 185 and it is cross between family boat and fishing boat.... And the hull of a double eagle... Don't go less than 18 feet. The great thing on cuddies is if kids are board they can always take a snooze/or play whatever.

For 10-15k your not going to get much if you want a striper. You would have to go to the states. Same goes for arima there overpriced for what you get. You can get a tiny one but if you want larger one with cabin and everything there nearly double that...

My buddy got a 18 foot trophy with older motor and that was about 12k...

Thank you for all the replies.. I think you hit the nail on the head. Wife wants the facilities.. doesn't want to really entertain anything without at least a portapot.

Older motor I'm feeling is just not worth it. Rather be safe!

Back