Voltage tuning your boat.

Thanks, Iwannagofishin. That adds some context & details. Just a point of clarification: the "reader" hook you describe - was it attached back to your boat or battery? If so - by what - monofilament? And the a 140 ft of insulated copper wire was used to test differences of electrical potential loss in the water (i.e. reads directly from your battery)?
The reader hook was attached directly to the meter probe, and only acts as an extension of the meter probe, but it is the same metal as the hook that is attached to the lure. This is how I achieve my 'zero base line'. If I used a copper wire, as an example, the voltage reading would have been different, and inaccurate. There is no other voltage source used except for the anode interacting with the lure metals. My tuned spoons are designed to give off a .6 or greater voltage in sea water. I use a different alloy for my fresh water spoons, and end up with a range of .35 to .55 volts depending again upon the mineral content. In fresh water, cutthroat trout respond to voltages starting at .17 volts. When I initially did my chinook testing over a 5 day period, I had recorded 78% of the fish took the tuned lure over a plain identical one when trolled side by side. I then pushed the voltage as high as I could, to see if the fish would be spooked away. I was up to 1.2 volts and the fish still favored that lure. The one factor that I do not have the equipment for, is to measure the amperage. Saying that, the higher voltage that I had may be equivalent to a lower hull voltage with greater amperage (milliamps). I need to find some talking fish, and ask them questions.

Still trying to find info/data/science on the electric fields in turbid verses fresh verses salt water. Not easily accessible. This - however - I thought might be of interest:
https://open.library.ubc.ca/media/download/pdf/831/1.0094748/1
I think I mentioned that earlier about Daniel Nomura and his master's thesis. Reading it might make one vomit trying to make sense of the data. His findings are interesting, but flawed. He is applying different voltages to different lines at the same time, and all in close proximity, and not accounting at all for the boat's signature. The one for sure conclusion was that, anytime there was a negative voltage present, no fish were caught on those lines.

I think I mentioned that earlier about Daniel Nomura and his master's thesis. Reading it might make one vomit trying to make sense of the data. His findings are interesting, but flawed. He is applying different voltages to different lines at the same time, and all in close proximity, and not accounting at all for the boat's signature. The one for sure conclusion was that, anytime there was a negative voltage present, no fish were caught on those lines.
I'm just reading through the fine print now. They did cover the boats voltage in the methodology. AND did paired trolls not charging 1 line and using that as a control. Switching up which was the control and changing voltages for different effects. Also in the methodology.

I agree that the stats are clunky and difficult to make sense of. I believe it would have been more informative and more intuitive if they had instead used some form of multivariate analyses.

3 results jumped out at me, however:
1/ The early age classes were largely unaffected by electrical differential. That makes sense for me as in the past few years they have investigated the effects of magnetism on salmon and they seem to develop that sense for magnetism along with the ability to see polarized light as they age and return home. Magnetism & electricity are related.
2/ Positive voltages attract & negative ones repulse.
3/ It's a mixed bag wrt exact voltages and ages/species attraction/repulsion

I'm just reading through the fine print now. They did cover the boats voltage in the methodology. AND did paired trolls not charging 1 line and using that as a control. Switching up which was the control and changing voltages for different effects. Also in the methodology.

I agree that the stats are clunky and difficult to make sense of. I believe it would have been more informative and more intuitive if they had instead used some form of multivariate analyses.

3 results jumped out at me, however:
1/ The early age classes were largely unaffected by electrical differential. That makes sense for me as in the past few years they have investigated the effects of magnetism on salmon and they seem to develop that sense for magnetism along with the ability to see polarized light as they age and return home. Magnetism & electricity are related.
2/ Positive voltages attract & negative ones repulse.
3/ It's a mixed bag wrt exact voltages and ages/species attraction/repulsion
I have had lots of anglers consider voltage to be the same as magnetism. You can use a magnet to make electricity, and you can use electricity to make a magnet, but without the rotational motion within the components of armatures, magnets, and commutators, they are really different animals.
Another angle that is not factored in is, what state of mind are the fish in with respect to voltages? I have had situations where some species of salmon are actually repelled by voltages. One instance was when we were plagued by seals, to the point that there was no playing of the fish. You had to horse them in like a bass angler, other wise they were stolen. We have just been talking about the reception of salmon, and trout, but, we also have to consider the other marine creatures as well. I can only assume that the seals and killer whales etc, are also giving off some sort of a voltage field. So, in that situation, the salmon must perceive the lure voltage as a threat. One chap fishing out of Sooke was plagued by pink salmon. So many that he could not hook a spring. He had one of my Portable Black Boxes, but hadn't used it yet. He hooked it up about mid day, and had 3 springs on in short order, the largest and last one broke him off, and he lost the rig. He phoned me and ordered 4 more. He claims that they not only attract the springs, but the pink catch on that side of the boat dropped by half of what the other side of the boat was catching. So, there you have pinks not liking the voltage, which he was happy about.
One more mention, is that I have found that some trout will respond differently on different lakes. I fished Carp Lake near Mackenzie where I could not make my tuned lures work on the rainbows (14 - 16"). They were not attracted or repelled, and I caught almost 30 that day. Yet, my buddy in Ontario outfished his 7 friends 3 yrs running on rainbows while using my lures, and not by a small margin. Lots to learn and so little time. Covid19, go away!!! Iwannagofishin LOL

This is a very similar argument to that posed for black boxes. Unless there is some serious stray current issues (which should be otherwise corrected) working around your boat there is no significant benefit to a black box. I'm skeptical of there being any benefit to "voltage tuned" lures, either. Some of the stuff he proposes such as marine anodes "spraying out excess ions" is simply wrong. More fishing voodoo.
I agree my friend!

Fellow fisherman

If your read all these blogs the writing is on the wall,I see the experience of a seasoned commercial troller, myself a seasoned sports fishing guide, and a lot of testing and research by iwannagofishing sums up that the infamous BLACK BOX does work incredibly well for huge success In reading these I found that a few key things are in common :

A: all use black boxes
B: boats used are bonded which means everything is grounded properly to each other
C: the voltages to catch salmon are very common (depending on the species)
D:The boats field around it in the water is consistent with the voltages salmon prefer

the voltage with my box is sent down the rigger cable via a stainless thimble that is connected to my box this is how we achieve the voltages with the gear,
AS far as iron noggin dealing in different voltages for different species he is BANG ON !!

I have found in my time out fishing different types of salmon that haveing the box not using the pulse mode but keeping a steady voltage

Chinook-- .345-.480-.500-.550-up as high like iwannago fishing states .700-.900 of one volt.(when on pule mode) .345--.800 is achieving all the voltages to pull fish to your gear.
coho really like .625 Ive found
sockeye-.650-.750
halibut .250-.345
halibut prefer stuff that is dead or almost dead meaning a very small voltage Ive found works very well
These are some of the numbers Ive found to work Im sure Iron Noggin could help with more info on numbers since he is dialing in for a commercial boat which like he says needs to catch as many fish as possible in a short period of time.If one thinks about it a guide like myself want the same results so we can be hopefully limited out and back to the dock for a well deserved cold one !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Ill also state that that this stuff works incredible well, voodoo,hokus pokus non believers I thought that as well at one time !!! Some boats are just plain fishy Im sure thats because of no leakage's, grounded properly and the boat is in a desired range of positive field.I thought it was all BS till I seen and experienced what it could do for myself and like i said if Im salmon fishing I will always have a BLACK BOX on my boat....

Billydoo

I bond. I use spectra on the DR's. I paint my DR balls. I suspect I MAY catch better with a black box. I don't make money fishing, so I am pleased with the results. Lot's of talk about voltages, but none on current, which is the true measure of energy (well voltage X current = watts). What we don't know is how much current from either a bad, good, or neutral electrical source (from the fish's perspective) makes a difference. My goal is to introduce the lowest possible electrical current into the water. Worst case is probably a bare lead DR ball (low nobility) in close distance to SS DR wire (high nobility) - why do you think the lead balls get so pitted?

The best way to test your field is get a volt meter set it to 2 volts and put the ground on your battery and put the positive in the water outside your boat it will tell you what your voltage is. Like you calmsea I’m trusting my real world experience as well I know my boat and fish 60-80 days a year, useing braid kills the voltage down the line of course and I understand why you clipped in 30 ft back I did the same thing in the old days when braid wasn’t available. Now with my set up I clip in no further than 6 ft max usually 4 ft works unreal. Just my experience.... good luck out there

tight lines

do not test at the dock. too many variables.

I bond. I use spectra on the DR's. I paint my DR balls. I suspect I MAY catch better with a black box. I don't make money fishing, so I am pleased with the results. Lot's of talk about voltages, but none on current, which is the true measure of energy (well voltage X current = watts). What we don't know is how much current from either a bad, good, or neutral electrical source (from the fish's perspective) makes a difference. My goal is to introduce the lowest possible electrical current into the water. Worst case is probably a bare lead DR ball (low nobility) in close distance to SS DR wire (high nobility) - why do you think the lead balls get so pitted?
Thanks for the comment. I actually posted earlier that the amperage (current, milliwatts) is the one variable that I do not have the equipment to measure, and that it may make the results differ from boat to boat. My lures would be quite a low wattage, where a black box powering the stainless wire may have different, stronger effects on fish. As far as creating voltage between your cannonball and the stainless wire, I have tested this theory all one winter and concluded that - NO CONTACT - NO VOLTAGE. I did this by using a stainless 1/2 inch bolt, 3 inches long and in salt water. I also used a magnesium wire and progressively moved the magnesium closer to the bolt to see if there was any visible reaction happening. I started with a spread of 2 ft, and each time I moved them closer, I left them sit for up to 2 weeks at a time. There was no obvious reaction at all until I eventually laid the magnesium on top of the ss bolt. Within 15 minutes, there was an island of bubbles on the surface as well as on the magnesium. I used magnesium because it is way more reactive in salt water than zinc. Before we start debating this, you should all pick up the next issue of Island Fisherman magazine and read my downrigger article. It is very closely related to your statement.

agree that magnetism & electricity are related in a dynamic sense as well as the static connections, IWGF. I would point-out that both the boat and the water moves, however. A magnetic field induces an electric one and vice-versa. So if salmon can sense magnetism - it would be logical to assume they also have some electro-magnetic sense ability...

Thanks for the comment. I actually posted earlier that the amperage (current, milliwatts) is the one variable that I do not have the equipment to measure
I doubt anyone on the forum has equipment to measure this; values are too low. You need to trust the science and act accordingly.

Your experiment May have issues:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Galvanic_corrosion

Partial quote of contents:

"The relative surface areas of the anode and the cathode are important"

It sounds like that unlike a DR ball (the anode), the surface area of your mag wire was very small.

agree that magnetism & electricity are related in a dynamic sense as well as the static connections, IWGF. I would point-out that both the boat and the water moves, however. A magnetic field induces an electric one and vice-versa. So if salmon can sense magnetism - it would be logical to assume they also have some electro-magnetic sense ability...
Your thought process is appreciated. I like it when people are diggers.
I don`t think that a boat or a lure travelling through the water will create any friction voltage. Especially at 2 knots or so. I agree that fish can sense both magnetism, as in their internal compass, as well as well as voltage fields, but with respect to voltage creating a magnetic field, take a look at the attached pictures. I used a dinner plate with fresh water, and sprinkled some magnetite on the surface. Some sank, but enough floated for this demonstration. As you can see in the second picture, the Portable Black Box is giving off almost .5 volts, and the magnetite is not responding. The 3rd picture is a fresh 1.5 volt battery, and the 4th is the same except that I shorted the battery ends to have a forced short circuit. The floating magnetite did not react to any of the tests. The last is with a small magnet, just to show that the magnetite does react to a magnetic field. Try this yourself, using your own methods, just to see what you find. I am always willing to learn. Just don`t try it with 120. LOL001.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

I doubt anyone on the forum has equipment to measure this; values are too low. You need to trust the science and act accordingly.

Your experiment May have issues:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel#Galvanic_corrosion

Partial quote of contents:

"The relative surface areas of the anode and the cathode are important"

It sounds like that unlike a DR ball (the anode), the surface area of your mag wire was very small.
I`m not sure what you are referring to, but, as in my lures that seem to require about a 5 to 1 surface area in order to increase the catch rate, boat owners should strive to achieve the same ratio or greater on their boats. The 5 to 1 being 5 parts cathode surface area and 1 part anode surface area. The galvanic rating of both anode and cathode will partially dictate the voltage, as will the amounts of each, the conductivity of the electrolyte, and to some degree, the water temperature. A galvanic corrosion cell with virtually any ratio, one sided or not, is still a galvanic corrosion cell. If the anode`s galvanic rating is not high enough, or the surface area is to small relative to that of the cathode, the cathode will also corrode away. I am trying to achieve a balance of cathodic protection, yet still having the boat or lure give off enough current to entice the fish, as opposed to repelling them. I looked at the link, and it seems to say exactly what I am saying.

The phenomenon of flowing water in a magnetic field inducing an electric current is well known and well studied - to the point of industries manufacturing Magnetic Flowmeters so the amount of liquids in pipes can be quantified:
https://www.flowmeters.com/product-...95.html=/asc_action=SetCurrCat/category_id=95
I think we have strayed off of the intended path here. But, any electrical current generated by a boat at trolling speed would be minuscule. If voltage were accumulated in a hull, even at high speeds, there would be grounding straps at the docks to connect to before stepping off the boat, kinda like helicopters becoming charged with static electricity.

I certainly share the many comments already on the importance of tuning your boat. I don't know why - It just works. I have always been careful to ensure that I have everything possible bonded. Testing is something I do while on the water away from other boats. It can be done in the marina, but the result can be masked by the boats around you. Again, I'm no expert but try to have my boat naturally producing 0.6 of a volt while under power. Just for fun I have checked a bunch of boats fishing together at the lodge and the 2 top boats for that day had the same reading, which was just over 0.6 volt. Bonding is one thing I know that really helps. Its a lot of work to set up, but certainly worthwhile. I have experienced issues where the zincs part way through the season start wearing down and I notice the boat isn't fishing as well as it did previously. Pulling the boat and changing up the zincs usually does the trick, as does trying to find any broken wires etc. I haven't found too many other quick and easy solutions to address a hot boat in the water, and chasing wiring issues isn't something I'm very good at. But willing to learn!

One other tip I will share from past bad experience is if I'm not careful the way my battery access is configured can allow water to drip onto the top of the batteries in bad weather. One morning was particularly tough fishing. I knew there had to be an issue (hot boat) and started checking voltage...it was not good. It took a lot of fiddling around, but I eventually noticed the water sitting on top of the battery...it was allowing quite a bit of current to jump across as measured by my volt meter. A simple clean up and the water readings returned to normal, and the fish catching picked up measurably.

I'm no expert on finding broken wires or identifying problems by any stretch. Most of what I learned is by the school of hard knocks. Hoping to hear a few tips on chasing down problems and ways you can or should go through your boat to preventatively identify issues. This is a fascinating topic with lots of great ideas being shared. Can't wait to hear some tips.

I certainly share the many comments already on the importance of tuning your boat. I don't know why - It just works. I have always been careful to ensure that I have everything possible bonded. Testing is something I do while on the water away from other boats. It can be done in the marina, but the result can be masked by the boats around you. Again, I'm no expert but try to have my boat naturally producing 0.6 of a volt while under power. Just for fun I have checked a bunch of boats fishing together at the lodge and the 2 top boats for that day had the same reading, which was just over 0.6 volt. Bonding is one thing I know that really helps. Its a lot of work to set up, but certainly worthwhile. I have experienced issues where the zincs part way through the season start wearing down and I notice the boat isn't fishing as well as it did previously. Pulling the boat and changing up the zincs usually does the trick, as does trying to find any broken wires etc. I haven't found too many other quick and easy solutions to address a hot boat in the water, and chasing wiring issues isn't something I'm very good at. But willing to learn!

One other tip I will share from past bad experience is if I'm not careful the way my battery access is configured can allow water to drip onto the top of the batteries in bad weather. One morning was particularly tough fishing. I knew there had to be an issue (hot boat) and started checking voltage...it was not good. It took a lot of fiddling around, but I eventually noticed the water sitting on top of the battery...it was allowing quite a bit of current to jump across as measured by my volt meter. A simple clean up and the water readings returned to normal, and the fish catching picked up measurably.

I'm no expert on finding broken wires or identifying problems by any stretch. Most of what I learned is by the school of hard knocks. Hoping to hear a few tips on chasing down problems and ways you can or should go through your boat to preventatively identify issues. This is a fascinating topic with lots of great ideas being shared. Can't wait to hear some tips.
I appreciate your comments. I find that the best way to get a message across, is through relaying experiences, mine or other anglers. Here is another. When I bought my second troller, it had a wooden mast. After the first year with it, I upgraded to an aluminum one. My main house batteries started going dead, and there was a continuous draw of.06 amps. Not a lot, but significant enough. I was on a silvaculture charter with a father & son team in the central coast that winter, so had lots of time to hunt this down. It turned out to be that my old spacecraft looking tv antenna was wired backwards, and had been for many years. The positive power was going directly through the ground (mounting bracket), which didn't matter while it had a wooden mast. I was glad to find that before I fished the boat next season.
One more mention that is very important, especially for aluminum boat owners. If you have water in your bilge, those internal metals are not protected in the same way as your outer hull. They are different cells. If you see any signs of corrosion, think about installing an anode in each segment of your bilge area. If there are drain holes connecting each segment, consider them to be all the same cell. The accepted area of an anodes protection is usually quite large, so just 1 anode in the bilge will work.

Back