Voltage issue

flytyer

Alright here is a power issue that may warp a few brain cells as it has for me
A power converter steps down the power from 110 to 12 volts. I can have multiple 12 volt lights on and it stays at 12. When i try to hook anything else up to the system, it spikes the power up to 16 volts--at least the lights are much brighter[?]

Thoughts??

Total wattage of lamps and other items taking you over your converter wattage. Try disconnecting lights and hook up something else.

Had to think for awhile,I'm thinking diode or capacitor, and as its almost impossible to trouble shoot electrical over the internet,try google,rectifer,wikipedia.Dan

I had to think this one through as well. However had to use 300hp VFD to sort it out. Your power converter will put out about 80 to 85 percent of load at rated voltage. Because of capacitance in circuit on both sides of converter, current is the limiting factor. To get maximum output from the converter voltage is raised on output side and same current is transferred. (Wattage is a value of Volts times amps)
So using 100 watts as an example 85watts = 12 volts X 7.1 amps to get full output 100 watts = 7.1 amps X 14.1 volts

Interested to know what size converter, number of lights and wattage and what else you were trying to connect

Kisinana, great work! I love to hear from people who actually knows what theyre talking about. Yea, 1 amp AC= 12 amps DC. There is alot of effiniency lost in the conversion.

On yea, I almost forgot the topic... Agreed, It would seem as though youre putting excessive load on the system.

FYI I have 3 1156 bulbs and a stereo on the system buttttttt, i think i may have it-- i took the battery out and this may be causing the problem???

Back