video of tugboat crew from Skookumchuck narrows

• Thread starter The Fish Assassin
  • Start date
T

The Fish Assassin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEfUblSDzww

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

that's a tricky spot. i think the tides gets up to 18 knots at times. it's fun parking at the backeddy pub sometimes.

Looks to me like the barge out ran the tug and pulled it over.

We used to love watching the triple chip barges come over through Porlier Pass on an ebb tide. When the tug hit the slack water on the inside he'd have to go like hell to take up the slack because the tide was still pushing the barges and bunching them up.

Went through that run area many years ago and if my memory serves me there is a back push of water from an overfall/backswell which I think may have fouled the prop rings with the cable slack and wrenched the tug over.
Had to correct my spelling and composition !

AL

I watched it a few times it looks like the final push over was from the barge as it kinda caught the stern of the tug. As soon as the barge touched the back of the tug with the tight line and all it was all over. What great footage though, and a happy ending as Dave saves the day...lol

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

They lost control and the tow got off coarse and the tug is trying to pull it back to port...but the tow has to much speed and momentum. With the short tow line the tow pulled it over. There should have been someone at the winch to play out some cable in the event they needed some slack to prevent what happened.

Back