Victoria to Bamfield

tubber

I've always gone to Bamfiled through Nanaimo and Port Alberni. If I'm coming from Victoria, is it still best to go that way with a boat trailer? Thanks

Yup - unless you want to beat your boat up on an old logging road to save yourself 1 1/2 hours and take a chance of blowing a tire or bearing in the middle of nowhere! Then you can go lake cowichan route. There is free parking in Port Alberni as well, wherease Poett Nook will charge you.

Depends on your boat ablity to handle the open water and if it gets windy, the possibily of waiting it out in bamfield. If you like to fish offshore its the way to go. renfrew, nitnat swiftsure, la perouse, Nice.

Thanks. Boat's too small to go by water, so we'll go through Port Alberni and drive the dusty road again.

I've trailered the Lake Cowichan route with a 14 ft cartop without any problems before. The biggest thing is to have an up to date map of the backroads. It's easy to take a wrong turn with all the new spurs. A good road gps with backroads included is another super handy way not to get lost. The distance from Pt. Alberni on the dirt is roughly the same as the Lake Cowichan route. The year I took the Cowichan route I found it no worse than the road from Alberni. I know that other persons may disagree with me. That was my impression the year I took that route. I went that way for a change of scenery and was glad I did it. Don't rush and I think you will find it an interesting alternate route. Either way you trailer you may encounter logging trucks during working hours(I didn't). Breakdowns are always a risk when backroading. Be prepared, service your trailer bearings and take a spare tire and you should be fine.

Best of luck, and good fishing: TheBigGuy

Back