Victoria reports - spring/summer 09

Out yesterday morning with a friend to try jigging. Normally we do the anchovie troll thing. After being pushed around Trial Island in the flood, we motored to Clover Pt and picked up a 10 1/4 # spring around 11:30 am as we were pushed across the front of Ross Bay. Lots of shapes on the sounder 40 ' - 90'. The jig that caught the spring was an all chrome minnow shape, about 2 oz and 4 1/2" long. The needlefish jigs in green and blue weren't getting the same attention.

Well got one of the boats back from reny and did my first waterfront charter today.I was going to run west to fish coho but thanks to cravens report went against the grain and went to the flats.It was great i was the only boat there and in a 5 hour charter hit a dozen springs most were 4-7lbs but we ended up with a limit of 6 between 7-15lbs.We fished from 9 until 1:30.We used purple haze squirts and watermelon spoons on the bottom.In anywhere from 80ft out to 150ft of water. The 12 and 15 were mature white springs,the rest were feeders looks like it's shaping up to be a good winter fishery.

quote:Originally posted by totally tyee

174 IB halibut caught by a guy in a small zodiac, had to drag it into shore.

I saw that guy, i was wondering why he was heading in so early!
I managed to pick up a HUGE pink in front of the harbour...at least 6 lbs.

And yes, it was awful considerate of the pilot boat to slow down :)

Whats with the humboldt squid carcasses in the water at cattle point boat launch? Did someone catch these there or am I seeing left over crab bait?? If bait why not chopped up?

The Humbolts I've had on my boat die really quickly. My guess is that these are an open water species, if they gut pushed up or against rocks by the current,I think they croak. I had a big cooler full of water, with one that wasn't even hooked, it held the lure with it's suckers, and it was dead in 15 minutes.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

The Humbolts I've had on my boat die really quickly. My guess is that these are an open water species, if they gut pushed up or against rocks by the current,I think they croak. I had a big cooler full of water, with one that wasn't even hooked, it held the lure with it's suckers, and it was dead in 15 minutes.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

2 Springs on the afternoon shift, 10 & 8lbs lost another
and released 4 small ones.
They are winter feeder's, scrappy but on the small side.

Hey r.s craven, did you get those ones on the flats? Just curious as a buddy of mine is going out tomorrow in that area. Thanks

no can do this time Tubbed Out. Maybe next weekend. I'm jealous, get one for me eh. thanks for the report rs craven.

You missed nothing Bigmeal

2 passes by the break water and a pass off brochy

NADA

HAd quite a day .. couldnt get the saftey chain off ,,, struggle with that for a while ,,then the ebrake release breaks off in my hand with the ebrake on ... now Im stuck at the dock with the boat in the water ....1/2 hr later im off ....2 hrs of fishin was all the family could take .. off to pu my crab traps and I get pulled over in the harbor ...guess i dont know how fast 7 knots is ,,,oh well verbal warning .....

back at flemming beach some guy pulls his truck up the middle of the ramp between me and another guy (( Who I think might have been Sea Ranger ,))) I hate it when guys are in a huge hurry .. I load pretty quick ..

Sea ranger was that you in the Arima

any how burger and dungy for dinner and I just cracked beer # 3

god life is good

tubbed

Went out both days this weekend. A friend of mine is just dyin for a lingcod! I don't know who told her what about them but I've been hearing about it for about 6 months so we finally tried as this is the last open weekend of the season. We fished near discovery (yes I'm aware of the RCA and we stayed out) and released a few just undersize, o well maybe next season.

Then switched to halibut and got 3 nice ones up to mid thirties. We had a double header right off the bat and some guy saw us while cruising by then anchored up just ahead of us and to the side. Well about an hour later and what do you know, we pivot on the anchor and a tide line is coming at us and we're 20' away and fast approaching. Had to start the motor to keep the boats from hitting. He was polite and apologized for anchoring too close and started to reel up but we were just about out of bait and were content with 3 nice ones so we told him to stay and we took off. Most frustrating thing was he got a 40 and a 50 right beside us and we got 3 all smaller, although we had a solid on a pink head but it fell off.

Anyways, it was a bit windy on sunday and we had some delays - got out a little later but ended up with 3 again similar to saturdays. It was a bit of a mess the wind was blowing us over our anchor but was fun.

Considering I don't feel we put in a really good solid fish either day and still got 3, I think there are quite a few to be had out there so if you want some hali, go get em. There were a fair few dogs though, probably 5 or 6 each day so bring extra bait.

Fished for hali yesterday. Lost a good one on the East side of Constance. Then had trouble with the wind blowing us over the anchor so we moved to the West side for a bit more shelter. None for us but my buddy "Yote" did well with 4 in the boat. Good job Yote. Nice day out there. Hard to believe it is the end of Sept.

A lot more crowded out there than I thought it would be at this time of year. Had 1 boat think about dropping anchor right beside us until I gave him some arm motions that he was too close so he moved over first. Then had a guy anchor less than 50 yards of us. No harm done as he was not within our swing but still too close. Then another guy drop right in front of us and by the time he settled in he was almost on our scotchman. He moved after a bit as he was swinging over our anchor line. We would not have been able to pull anchor with him where he was as he was right in front of bouy.
So if you have a Grady with the name "Double ..." and you were wondering if you were too close to some one yesterday. Yes you were... Way too close.

Tips

Hi Tubbed out... yea that was me all right. I just backed into the water.... I can load and unload real fast too and the next thing I know.... some guy shoots down the middle.... he ended up pulling up and moving over closer to the wharf to pull his boat. I guess he thought that we were going to take too long. We weren't out for long yesterday.... anchored up for some hali's .... super nice day on the water but nada for fish. Thinking I might have found a new spot to anchor up for hali's.... next time out and I'll give it a try..... Hey Tub.... when you see me next time... lets have a cold one..... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Some sportfishing boat skippers either just don't know how dangerous anchoring can be or they exercise very poor judgement when positioning themselves near other vessels at anchor when going hali fishing. Beside being very poor etiquette, we all know it can result in real danger and tragedy.

2008 Hali Derby second day Sunday off Discovery when the weather was horrid (howling winds), our boat nearly got in a real pickle when some other F^@k n^ts anchored on top of us and then started slipping anchor. Next thing his anchor is one side of us, his boat on the other and his old tub wouldn't start. What f...ing a mess!

I often read about bad anchoring on SFBC and hear from anglers directly about their concerns. And let's not forget anchoring in places where there is high currents and tidal flows. I think we should try and do something proactive about it (not just tell our network on SFBC and post the odd digipic of the busted and shamed)

I think we need some form of printed sheet with guidelines and protocols for anchoring (how to, when not to and where is too close). Much of the stuff has been discussed on SFBC already. As hali fishing gets more popular each year and more rookies come out to play, it will likely get worse. None of us ever want to see serious or fatal accidents on the fishing grounds,nor have some dork ruin our fishing but it's going keep happening. There needs to be some education done. We need to use the local tackle stores, marinas, DFO and all the launch ramps to get the word out.

So my suggestion is that by this fall's Victoria area SFAB meeting (early November) can 'we' develop some guide-lines and suggestions for an anchoring 101 sheet/brochure? If we have a draft version for the fall SFAB meeting I can get it moving in the local community for the remainder of the winter fishery but foremost for next year's hali season.

Good idea or bad idea? Please let me know

Also, should this be listed as a seperate topic for more to see?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Back