Victoria Reports 2015

Went out with my wife and daughter for a boat ride and to wet a couple lines. Dropped out front of Vic harbour at about 11:30 and by 12:00 we had a good fish in the boat. Was a little worried of getting busted off since we were tight in a pack of boats. Team effort with my lady working the net and our daughter cheering us on. Anchovy in green head mid water. Released a pink after. Worked the zone for a bit longer then headed back for 1:30. Best part is it was a whitey. First for me this year. Weighed in at 18lb.

Special thanks to to the guy at the dock who handed me some brined chovvies at the dock before we went out. Was planning on just using spoons, as I've got no bait in my freezer and it was a spontaneous decision to go out. If you are on here buddy, much thanks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,443
Out on the water front at 7am. Saw one guy being sealed and did not spot much bait. Moved to AH and tried chovies and AP lures in shallow and with the tide. Worked out to Pedder Bay. Had my 85 yr old Dad here from Ontairo. Not much to be seen anywhere. He has been part of the Ontario Salmon enhancement for 20 years and really wanted to give him a thrill. Still a nice day on the water and it beats work!!

When you are fishing this time of the year at 30-50', do you run the lure/bait and flasher further back? Or is it better to keep it tight to the cannon ball (15'ish) to maintain a good roll. I thing the bigger springs might be shy of the flasher and being up close the boat and motor. Looking for some feed back from you more experienced folks.

Cheers

When I was finding fish in the 20-30 ft of water range...I'd run it further back so I wouldnt spook the fish..

Out with rockdog and his boy last night, beauty night and a 15#. Sooke tomorrow with our boys

image.jpg

Went over to Sooke for a few days this week for some heavy duty action. On the way back we hit a few of the banks east of Race Rocks. Picked up a large cod and a couple pinks at Constance in the short time we were there. Water was like a duck pond and super hot out there!!!

When we left Constance to head back to the dock we saw either DFO or the police headed our way. They decided to pull over another boat headed in the same direction. Looked like they made a run through the flats as well.

Beautiful morning on the waterfront today. Came home with 2 nice springs and a pink. Lost another spring to faulty
net maneuvers. Englishmans report on Monday inspired me to try some herring that I caught off the Craigflower bridge in the spring. I ran a third line off the back with a planer to try the herring. No teaser, just used this rig: https://youtu.be/SQb7EIw-zGw. I thought only a big spring would take a whole herring, but a pink took it. I guess a pink really will take anything... It was kinda cool using bait that I caught myself. I'll try more of the herring next time out.

salmon jumping in Victoria harbour. Gorge Coho back early??

Took two of my girls out to Constance on Wednesday, found a couple of hatch springs. Nice to get fish with the girls but a 20lber would have been nicer!! Was out from 10 am - 1 pm, beauty day!!

Attachments

• IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,140
Picked up a nice 14 lb birthday fish on Thursday between brochie and the flagpole, 160ish' of water at 61' anchovy, 5' behind a dummy flasher. Released another hatch coho. No other action for the 4 hours we were out.

Those girls look pretty happy Bag Juan!
looks like you had some nice weather out there...

Did well yesterday aft..short bite, but was fast and furious..
10# test and light gear has made august quite fun!
2 teens in the box, and two released. though the two auklets i brought into the boat made me a star with the pup, he has yet to catch a bird, and now watches what is going on with a new found excitement:)
image.jpg

Fished 7-2pm today during the anglers derby. Only managed to hook 2 undersized springs. Thanks to all the guys at Esquimalt Anglers for volunteering their time and putting on another great derby.

Tried Constance this morning. Too lumpy for my 21 f t boat.Came back in and Hooked 5 fish at the breakwater . Lost one, released one. Biggest just under 20. Only white. All at 50 ft on chartreuse teaser head. Done before noon.
Stosh

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Constance this morning. Too lumpy for my 21 free. Came back in and Hooked 5 fish at the breakwater . Lost one, released one. Biggest just under 20. Only white. All at 50 ft on chartreuse teaser head. Done before noon.
Stosh

Thanks for report .it comes back to hot fishing!

I am sorry I don't posted here.

Yesterday, my buddy and I fished from 530 am till 1 pm from East Pedder bay to Clover Point for Esquimalt Derby. We have been hard working to catch some big fish. Unfortunately, we didn't catch any big ones but we got 4 bites and caught two undersized coho , one was hatchery coho and let them go. There were lot of fishing boats and I don't see many land nets. The day was so amazing and the salmon fishing was going very SLOWLY!
The winner had only a 20 lbs king salmon ( Chinook) second was a 17.15 lbs and third was a 17. 13.
Also, we got some nice prizes better than nothing. Thank you for Esquimalt staff hosted for the derby! I met a few memberships from here, they went to the derby.

I believe that yesterday, the weather was pressured cause fishing was very POOR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back