vhf

JDR

put a vhf in the boat,tired of all the b.s on cb's. Now a need a restricted operators licence (or get a fine?). what is involved to get one, do I have to take a course or can I challenge the exam?
use it mainly for weather or emergency call .

You can buy the student study guide online and CD, and then take the test from a recognized examiner (CPS or CYA). That's the way I did it. The test is no problem. I didn't take the course, but studied hard, and scored 100.

Easiest way is to take a course, two evenings and a third evening to write the test. I challenged it because I was not able to get to the course and I spent a lot more time studying on my own than the course would have taken me.

Contact the local Power Squadron. There is a course starting June 1 in Qualicum Beach, with the test on June 8. Let me know if you would like details.

The cost of a course is in the $80 to $90 range. If you challenge the course, the material for studying is about $25 and the test and certification is about another $25. Prices I've given are approximate.

Back